• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
23 23

8,275 posts in this topic

EDIT - just looked at your link, seems to say 1500 hand colored. Can't be right as he said it was less than silver and even if he jacked up the numbers later to sell more he'd have needed 50% of all whites produced and they were distributed at that point so not possible. Granted he could probably have done more but not that many.

The picture I linked to was from someone that sent me a pic of one they found at a flea market and were inquiring about the origin. At the time, I was unaware of the colored version of Turtlemania so I just assumed someone had taken the liberty of coloring on a copy and made up some print run numbers to try and add authentication. The sticker was on the book that way when they bought it. I asked Don about the print run of the colored edition since the picture showed 1,500 and this was his response:

One hundred (100) issues were pulled out of 3,000 by the publisher to produce the HAND-COLORED Cover Edition, which was limited to 100 pieces only (NOT the 1500 that the guy you spoke to said was the Limited Issue #'d amount). I personally HAND-COLORED each and every color cover for this limited edition of 100, and copies are unsigned or only initialed "Don O" by me on some of the covers. They are not numbered.

Interesting. Going off memory from the mid-1980s...and realize I haven't looked at the copy in 20+ years and had it out of the bag since the convention...he did offer to sign mine and I took him up on it. Pretty small local convention in S FL too. I already owned the Silver copy, which is how we got talking and I distinctly recall him providing the total number of colored ones and saying how it was less than the Silver. If I'm right and he wasn't just saying that for kicks - and I'd be surprised if I wasn't as I kind of remember stuff like that - he may have done more over time and increased the total and they aren't numbered "X/YYY" so impossible to know. Being skeptical one would choose not to number them like all the other rare Turtlemania editions if one wanted the ability to create/sell more if there was demand. If I'm not remembering correctly then who knows - and given time elapsed this is entirely possible - but I'd bet substantial money that the conversation went as I remember.

Also I don't recall there ever being a "Colored Cover Edition". It's not in any of the formal advertisements nor on E&L site that I recall. He's the only one that ever mentioned it that I know of and that includes speaking with Tropic Comics who had #1/10 Gold and I'd guess was well connected into the distribution/production (they had so much cool stuff on their walls) as well as others who knew/collected that book. This was not formally endorsed by the publisher or at least not in their plans/marketing as it went to print, I would assume DO requested copies for himself to color and sell given the popularity of TMNT at that time.

That's my best guess/conjecture from my memory and our combined experience. Pretty much everything I know on it. It's a cool book with cover color attached to the person who worked on it so of some significance but hard to authenticate without signature and #x/YYY or something.

Edited by ChrisFB

Thanks @ChrisFB. Appreciate all the info. you've shared. I do believe that the lack of numbering or "documented" print quantity info. for this color "variant" has afforded Don the ability to create them at will and claim whatever facts he wishes. Not to say that was his intent in any way but he could (if he wanted) just continue to create them as long as he can find a copy of the Regular.

And, keeping in mind, that this isn't really a cover variant given that its print lineage is actually just the "Regular" white Turtlemania that was colored upon. Using that as criteria for a "variant," I actually would have two books I could say are Turtlemania "variants." I found these two awesome things on eBay a while back...totally "variants." ;)

As you stated, this colored version is a cool book with some significance given who colored it but nearly impossible to authenticate and definitely impossible to define the quantity of these copies in existence. Appreciate it.

First off, is that set of Turtlemanias (Tropic Comics) still together? Do you own it? If not, who owns the set? Thanks for any info. you can provide.

I believe the kaylab who posted it still does. He's a member here. I have the Silver but otherwise he has the Gold/White and Gobbledygooks from Tropic Comics. I would bet Archon Turtle or someone else in this thread would know better but as of my posting it was still in his possession so I gave him the back history on the collection via posts and PMs.

totally random that I saw this, I've been absent from the site for quite some time and just happened to stop by tonight... Yup, I still have those Tropics Comics Turtles books, which I now know are in fact from Tropics thanks to the messages from ChrisFB.

Just a heads up, I'm selling some SS sketches by Talbot (Donny), Lawson (Casey), and Dooney (Fugitoid). I'm also selling a big Eastman Venus prototype pinup/sketch. Since they are pretty nice, I have to give the heads up. I'm after the Grail that's 76 years old and some of my "pretties" have to go.

To RW, I've been following all this interesting convo about the Turtlemanias, and have avoided posting due to the fact that I've been extremely tempted to -try- and pry that 2nd silver from your hands. I imagine that it's locked tightly in your hands anyway. One day in the near future I'll start my hunt.

Kaylab, they sound awesome. I'd love to see a pic if possible. That's a legendary set.

Edited by SpideyFein

Thanks @ChrisFB. Appreciate all the info. you've shared. I do believe that the lack of numbering or "documented" print quantity info. for this color "variant" has afforded Don the ability to create them at will and claim whatever facts he wishes. Not to say that was his intent in any way but he could (if he wanted) just continue to create them as long as he can find a copy of the Regular.

And, keeping in mind, that this isn't really a cover variant given that its print lineage is actually just the "Regular" white Turtlemania that was colored upon. Using that as criteria for a "variant," I actually would have two books I could say are Turtlemania "variants." I found these two awesome things on eBay a while back...totally "variants." ;)

As you stated, this colored version is a cool book with some significance given who colored it but nearly impossible to authenticate and definitely impossible to define the quantity of these copies in existence. Appreciate it.

I did want to toss in that while it isn't possible to document the exact number of hand colored books from DO - it's pretty obvious he didn't do many of these and likely if he said 100 total it's probably accurate as to how many he did over time. While it can't be verified...very few have ever been seen and most collectors - even very knowledgeable ones - know nothing about them so there can't be many out there.

On general Turtlemania I'm not sure if anyone else realizes but these were not "hot" books back in the day. While everything TMNT was selling well these sat on South Florida comic racks for many months. The Golds went to connected shops/people and were never available but they tried to sell the Silvers as a limited edition (I think you could order them). Given the relative unpopularity of this item at the time, I'm not sure if they ever sold all the silvers and what may have happened with them.

Honestly if it wasn't for E&L documenting these books on their site. I doubt there'd be any interest or awareness of these.

Edited by ChrisFB

First off, is that set of Turtlemanias (Tropic Comics) still together? Do you own it? If not, who owns the set? Thanks for any info. you can provide.

I believe the kaylab who posted it still does. He's a member here. I have the Silver but otherwise he has the Gold/White and Gobbledygooks from Tropic Comics. I would bet Archon Turtle or someone else in this thread would know better but as of my posting it was still in his possession so I gave him the back history on the collection via posts and PMs.

totally random that I saw this, I've been absent from the site for quite some time and just happened to stop by tonight... Yup, I still have those Tropics Comics Turtles books, which I now know are in fact from Tropics thanks to the messages from ChrisFB.

Hope you are well and glad you saw the recent discussion. I really do think your #1/10 Gold is a unique or "keystone" book having all 3 covers. No other gold has that. I'm not sure even Tropic realized that as it never came up in conversation. Actually I'm nearly positive they didn't as they'd have labeled it as such for sure.

It's great how those were kept together over time with the original display bags (I kept mine too just because it was well done). Tropic used the mylock and backer with that labeling on just about all their books at that time. Was an amazing display during the independent boom. They had all the books people had heard of but could never get. It was so cool to see the rest of their Turtlemania collection together in those same bags after all those years. Plus the Gobbledygooks were amazing too.

Peter Laird will be signing at Shellback Artworks this upcoming Free Comic Book Day.

I know that he isn't the biggest fan of the original cartoon but I have two cel's from the show that I have signed by Eastman and all the turtles in each cel. Has anyone been to this an seen him sign cel's or do you think he'd outright reject them? I figure I should get some information before I make the 9 hour drive.

He signed one for me last time

IMG_20150510_090605706_zpsz9hypugj.jpg

Peter Laird will be signing at Shellback Artworks this upcoming Free Comic Book Day.

I know that he isn't the biggest fan of the original cartoon but I have two cel's from the show that I have signed by Eastman and all the turtles in each cel. Has anyone been to this an seen him sign cel's or do you think he'd outright reject them? I figure I should get some information before I make the 9 hour drive.

I loved that episode with Usagi!!! Great cell. I think I've seen it before. I love the sig by the guy who signed above Donny- Big Stan, and with a turtle head sketch- Nice! You don't see him do those too often

To RW, I've been following all this interesting convo about the Turtlemanias, and have avoided posting due to the fact that I've been extremely tempted to -try- and pry that 2nd silver from your hands. I imagine that it's locked tightly in your hands anyway. One day in the near future I'll start my hunt.

I've been lucky enough to find and acquire 2 copies of Turtlemania Silver and I did so with the intent of having one eventually help fund the purchase of a Gold some day. I'm not ready to sell one at this time but should a Gold ever turn up for sale...you'd hear from me. :)

Edited by rwhorn

I have a gold for sale......but I'm not going to post any pictures or sell it to anyone here......I'll tell you all about it though when I do sell it..... Your just going to have to believe me

I loved that episode with Usagi!!! Great cell. I think I've seen it before. I love the sig by the guy who signed above Donny- Big Stan, and with a turtle head sketch- Nice! You don't see him do those too often

Donny really pulls off those glasses!

I have a gold for sale......but I'm not going to post any pictures or sell it to anyone here......I'll tell you all about it though when I do sell it..... Your just going to have to believe me

Which number gold do you have? Good luck with the sale!

I've been lucky enough to find and acquire 2 copies of Turtlemania Silver and I did so with the intent of having one eventually help fund the purchase of a Gold some day. I'm not ready to sell one at this time but should a Gold ever turn up for sale...you'd hear from me. :)

You're a smart man!!! In all seriousness, definitely send me a pm for sure. I had to get some other big dawgs before it, but I will soon be ready. Your collection is bananas bro.

I believe you. Me wants the lucky Gold!!!!!!

You have a Gold currently for sale? If this is true I'm absolutely interested but confused by you not wanting to share pictures or sell it to anyone here. Any reason you aren't offering it for sale to members here?

You're a smart man!!! In all seriousness, definitely send me a pm for sure. I had to get some other big dawgs before it, but I will soon be ready. Your collection is bananas bro.

Thanks! I've worked very hard on my collection for nearly 30 years. :)

You have a Gold currently for sale? If this is true I'm absolutely interested but confused by you not wanting to share pictures or sell it to anyone here. Any reason you aren't offering it for sale to members here?

[Meaning he has sqwat. :roflmao:

It was a joke...... Don't you remember that dude that came on here a while back stating he had one.....but wouldn't show pics.... And wouldn't sell to Rich?

Just playing.....

But yes....it is number 17...... I just colored it with a gold sharpie yesterday....almost dry

It was a joke...... Don't you remember that dude that came on here a while back stating he had one.....but wouldn't show pics.... And wouldn't sell to Rich?

Just playing.....

But yes....it is number 17...... I just colored it with a gold sharpie yesterday....almost dry

OK, that was a good one...you got me with that. Definitely remember that guy so now I get it. Well done. :signfunny:

When the Sharpie coloring dries, will you consider changing your policy by posting pics and selling to someone here? lol But, I won't need to buy it...I already have a Gold #1 of 10. :grin:

Hope you are well and glad you saw the recent discussion. I really do think your #1/10 Gold is a unique or "keystone" book having all 3 covers. No other gold has that. I'm not sure even Tropic realized that as it never came up in conversation. Actually I'm nearly positive they didn't as they'd have labeled it as such for sure.

It's great how those were kept together over time with the original display bags (I kept mine too just because it was well done). Tropic used the mylock and backer with that labeling on just about all their books at that time. Was an amazing display during the independent boom. They had all the books people had heard of but could never get. It was so cool to see the rest of their Turtlemania collection together in those same bags after all those years. Plus the Gobbledygooks were amazing too.

I'll be honest, even I didn't realize it was a multi-cover book, even when I first reviewed it. It was later that I opened it a second time and thought "hmm, well I'll be... look at these other covers". It would not surprise me at all that Tropics was not aware, and yes with the way that these books were labeled on the mylocks, I'm sure that it would have been noted...

It's funny, you mention how great it is that these books have all been kept together and with their original bags/info. Yes, totally agree from a collection standpoint it's great, but it does add some challenges to future sales... I've discussed consigning the entire group through Heritage, and each time I can't make the decision to pull the collection apart to sell them in separate lots... It doesn't feel right. But I also know individually they'd likely sell better. So, I just drag my feet and make no decision, lol...

I've discussed consigning the entire group through Heritage, and each time I can't make the decision to pull the collection apart to sell them in separate lots... It doesn't feel right. But I also know individually they'd likely sell better. So, I just drag my feet and make no decision, lol...

:baiting: I'm in favor of you selling them separately. It feels right. ;)