• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
23 23

8,280 posts in this topic

In my quest to build all TMNT sets, I just left the LCS a happy man. Ended up with Vol 1. 41-62 (minus 52/58), and Image 2-6, 8, 9, 11-15, 18, 19, 20, 22. All for about $3 each. None of these have ever even been read and were stored away from when they were originally released and didn't sell. So stoked! Definitely didn't expect #62, and all those Image comics!

Cowabunga dudes!

Starting to figure out how expensive some of the later Volume 4 issues are. Is there a particular reason why #29 goes for so much? I know it's a print of 1,000--but so were 30-32 I believe, and they are at least obtainable!

Starting to figure out how expensive some of the later Volume 4 issues are. Is there a particular reason why #29 goes for so much? I know it's a print of 1,000--but so were 30-32 I believe, and they are at least obtainable!

#29 was mail order only. Was/is really hard to get if you didn't order it.

Do you mean 30-32 were in comic shops? I thought 30-32 were also mail order only or in person only at Shellback? I had ordered 31 from Mirage's site but had to buy 29, 30, and 32 second hand.

Right, but weren't 30-32 as well? I'm just wondering why 30-32 can be had for $30-$100, but 29 is darn near impossible to find, and seemingly $700+ now.

I suppose 29 was the "last" of the series at the time and perhaps just sits in set collector's hands? From what I've read Volume 4 wasn't particularly popular, and was only selling ~4,000 comics each release, so I don't think it was because of demand.

I haven't been able to find any answers, but it is funny looking at old threads and seeing people complain about the $10 price at the time! lol

Just wondering if I am missing something! Congrats to those who own one!

Right, but weren't 30-32 as well? I'm just wondering why 30-32 can be had for $30-$100, but 29 is darn near impossible to find, and seemingly $700+ now.

I suppose 29 was the "last" of the series at the time and perhaps just sits in set collector's hands? From what I've read Volume 4 wasn't particularly popular, and was only selling ~4,000 comics each release, so I don't think it was because of demand.

I haven't been able to find any answers, but it is funny looking at old threads and seeing people complain about the $10 price at the time! lol

Just wondering if I am missing something! Congrats to those who own one!

It is hard to know exactly why #29 is more rare (or seen that way) but I think it has something to do with #29 being released almost 2 years after #28. A gap of that length plus the distribution being handled outside of Diamond likely led to some readers or fans just not knowing the book came out. By the time they did realize it was out, there was probably little supply remaining. But, that's just my theory.

It is hard to know exactly why #29 is more rare (or seen that way) but I think it has something to do with #29 being released almost 2 years after #28. A gap of that length plus the distribution being handled outside of Diamond likely led to some readers or fans just not knowing the book came out. By the time they did realize it was out, there was probably little supply remaining. But, that's just my theory.

If 29-32 all had print runs of 1000, where are all the 29's? You see 30 sometimes, and 31/32 often. Did someone hoard the 29's? :) Really strange.

If 29-32 all had print runs of 1000, where are all the 29's? You see 30 sometimes, and 31/32 often. Did someone hoard the 29's? :) Really strange.

Actually, I do think many people bought multiple copies of #29 when it came out which is another contributing factor to it being so scarce. I bought multiples and I know others that did as well. At the time, I think many of us were under the impression it could be the last issue we'd ever see from Laird since it took him so long to get this one published. #30 took him another year or so to publish and then right after that he sold the Turtles to Viacom.

So, probably multiple factors vs. one single factor which caused this to be so rare.

TMNT #7 2nd print

In this listing, "Krang" appears 5 times, despite Krang not being in this issue (or series). :makepoint:

It's a minor thing, and I know he wouldn't change it if I pointed it out, so I figure I'd just air my pet peeve here. I feel better. :grin:

TMNT #7 2nd print

In this listing, "Krang" appears 5 times, despite Krang not being in this issue (or series). :makepoint:

It's a minor thing, and I know he wouldn't change it if I pointed it out, so I figure I'd just air my pet peeve here. I feel better. :grin:

Just had to point out this auction didn't you :P

Look on the bright side. This book sold for a crazy amount back when there was only 1 9.8 on the census. Now there are 6. If more people see this more frequently, they will realize they shouldn't be paying as much as they do and the price will fall back in line with the rest.

This book is no more or less rare or important than the other 2nd prints between 4 and 7. One auction with a bidding war drove the price up. Be patient and you'll get it for a realistic price soon enough. (thumbs u

TMNT #7 2nd print

Just had to point out this auction didn't you :P

Look on the bright side. This book sold for a crazy amount back when there was only 1 9.8 on the census. Now there are 6. If more people see this more frequently, they will realize they shouldn't be paying as much as they do and the price will fall back in line with the rest.

This book is no more or less rare or important than the other 2nd prints between 4 and 7. One auction with a bidding war drove the price up. Be patient and you'll get it for a realistic price soon enough. (thumbs u

See, you couldn't resist saying Krang! lol As I had said, I passed on the OA to this a couple of years back. The full colored one. It still hurts!

On the bright side, I did get something very monumental, and I will post it here once it's in hand. It's beyond Awesome. To fund it, I'm selling my set 4 Turtle CGC set here Turtle Sketch Set which I never thought I'd sell, and took some time to compete. I may put up a few other Turtle pieces too.

Yeah, the label has been a mess for years. I submitted a note to CGC a few years back, but it got ignored.