• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
23 23

8,286 posts in this topic

Has there ever been a "Turtle Con"? A convention dedicated to all things TMNT. I know TMNT doesn't have the wide fanbase of Star Wars, but they've got Power Ranger conventions, so why not?

I don't think there'd be a shortage of guests to have there.

-Creators from the comic series (Mirage, Archie, Image, & IDW)

-Various actors/voice actors/stunt doubles from the movies

-Various voice actors from the 2 animated shows and the upcoming Nickelodeon show

Has anything like this ever happened? Is it a pipe dream to wish that it would?

I've often wondered the same thing. I know their are a lot of us that would love to have Eastman and Laird under the same roof. Not only for signing but for other activities. I know I'd try my best to make and more than likely would travel rather far to do it. I'm sure CGC could get a rep there also.

There have been Turtle Cons a couple times. One was a stand alone in 92, and then another year it piggybacked MotorCIty CC as a booth (2000 I believe).

http://www.cowabungacorner.com/cowabunga-corner/michele-iveys-cowabunga-corner-45

http://www.cowabungacorner.com/cowabunga-corner/michele-iveys-cowabunga-corner-50

Edited by Archon_Turtle

It was put together my Metropolis comics and distributed exclusively at a show back in the 80's. There are 3000 white copies, 100 silver copies, and 10 gold copies. They are official in that there was a sizable print run and they were sold/given out at the show. Despite what some people think, they were not created by Mirage.

They are official in that there was a sizable print run and they were sold/given out at the show.

And the turtles art was either done by kevin and peter (the cover), or provided by them. So while adam is correct that it wasn't a Mirage book, it wasn't completely void of their involvement either.

Edited by Archon_Turtle

are there risks of fakes? any reported?

Yep, mainly in the signatures that have been found on signed copies. If fact, its the most frauded TMNT book I've come across, though that's not to say its a commonly frauded book. That said, there are enough legit sigs of Peter and Kevin out there now that it should be pretty easy to determine if you are looking at the real deal or not. And of course you can always post pics on here and we'll help.

I've never heard of any fakes, but some people have tried to pass off the white ones as silver ones before. The silver ones are all hand signed and numbered by Eastman & Laird on the back cover. Someone who doesn't know may mistake a faded white copy for a silver copy. It'd be tough to fake the Gold one, though. Not only are they double signed, but they have a sketch by either Eastman, Laird, or both on the back.

Is there one you're interested in buying? Do you question the seller?

theres one in the threads and im just trying to school myself on it.

That copy listed on the boards is a pretty good price, from what I can tell of the condition based on the scans. You should buy it so I'm no longer tempted.

but some people have tried to pass off the white ones as silver ones before.

Yep, like this gem I saw on ebay years ago:

fakesilverback.jpg

Fonking nice signature!

"Pete" Laird

Also loving the squigglies, like oh my gosh how cute!

Hi guys,

New here.  I stopped collecting and sold 3 long boxes of my comics upon entering college to Capt. Blue Hen Comics in Newark Del back in '87 for $300.  By that time I'd met an awful lot of jaded middle aged guys working the comic circuit, and I really just wanted to get my books out there so the next generation of readers could experience Miller's Daredevil, Byrnes X-Men, and all the stuff that made me a great fan through my formative years.  I did cling on to a few favorites, among them my Turtles books including a #1 1st print, which I puchased in '85 or '86 for $35 at Dr. Who/ Comic show in Philly.  My friend Jim, the Dr. Who fan I went with, thought I'd lost my marbles paying that much for a comic not yet two years old.  But I'd already read #1 (3rd print, still have too) and #2 &3.   I remember the book (not mine) eclisping $500 at one point and returning back to a more sane $250.  Slabbing had not yet come into popular fashion.

Now fast forward to last May's sale of the 9.8.  I'd been IM'ing an old friend who'd moved away, and I made a Turtles reference.  That reminded me that I still had that comic, and I did a quick search to see if it'd climbed any since the last time I'd checked an Overstreet guide and seen $250.  Wow.  $22k! So obviously, I won't count on my book being a 9.8 or 9.6  I took it to several shops in the Orange County CA area and to Murietta near my home, to ask them to give a rough grade.  Most shops had a younger guy at the counter with no real experience, and no one wanted to hazard an expert opinion, though at least one told me def, no more than an eight.  No reason why other than a few very minor spine stress lines.  The black on these books show imperfections too well, but it looks pretty clean to me.

Anyway, Ryan in Murietta was supposed to help me walk it along with some of my other books into San Diego Comicon last year (I didn't have tix and he's a cgc dealer) but he wouldn't grade it himself & flaked on the coordination to help me submit at the show.  I don't think they were grading at the show anyway, so it's likely they would have had to fly my books back to FL anyway.

So now I've got to get off my duff and spend some dough sending my remaining books to CGC.  Anyone want to suggest what I should insure the TMNT#1 1st print for when it could possibly be a mid 9 book, likely not, but don't know?  Have you all sent high dollar comics there via USPS and do you have any pointers for me?  I also have no Idea what they'll change me, as their fees page doesn't actually specify a fee for books over $3000, but it does elude to 3% fmv.

Finally, I don't want to keep this book forever.  Any advice on how you'd get the best price for it?  I know it's hard to say before I find out condition, but with the exception of a 9+ comic, should I avoid the grand auctions and ebay and just list it on a comic exchange?  I hope I don't sound like a troll.  My story is a true story of a TMNT crawling out of the shadows, but admittedly, I always knew it was a special book, when I bought it for $35.

karlInSanDiego

Insure it for what you feel comfortable with. If you have good luck and want to chance it, don't insure it. If you want to insure it for the full amount, I'd say $1,000 would be a safe bet for a raw TMNT #1 that was quoted as "no better than an 8". The more important thing is that you pack it securely. There is a thread dedicated to packing raw books securely:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3377506#Post3377506

Don't worry about being over $3k as that's 9.2-9.4 territory. If the comic shop guys were right, your copy isn't quite there.

The next thing would be to take scans or pictures of the book. For starters, you could post scans in the "hey buddy, can you spare a grade section" and get a more accurate estimate of the grade. Secondly, in the unlikely event that they lose your package, you may need the images to prove that it was in fact in a certain condition and worth what you claim.

Finally, since your book isn't going to break any sales record, you'd do well to sell it here in the selling forums. TMNT #1 tends to do well here. There are no fees here, but keep in mind that it's a self-policed forum and you should read all the rules before even thinking about posting. It can be hard to sell a high-dollar book here if you're new, but not impossible. My advice would be to be as up front as possible. Provide your ebay name as a reference and if you have done any transactions with someone who is a board member hear, see if they'll vouch for you. If you don't know anyone, you're still ok. You could possibly offer to go through a 3rd party to conduct the deal. I'd be happy to mediate if you'd like. Basically, if you want to sell it and you've followed all the selling forum rules, you could offer to send the book and the payment to the third party. The 3rd party would hold the book until the payment arrives and then. This will give peace of mind to prospective buyers.

Now let's see some pictures! And welcome to the boards.

Thanks Peter. I took some shots back in June of last year in preparation to ship, but I don't think my wife deemed them flickr worthy, so I'l have to see if she saved then in our photo file.
If you have a scanner you could get a very close grade estimate here. I would love to buy it and im sure im far from alone. :hi:

6918664172_6afcf419d8_b.jpg

7064745003_95a5302fe5_b.jpg

7064746109_44dc371cea_b.jpg

I hadn't thought to use our scanner at the time. I'll try that next as my photography experiment was more to document my own known defects in order to document a swap from the certifier (sorry, want to trust CGC, but of course in my brief coming up to speed, saw that PGX video and scared myself)