• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
23 23

8,275 posts in this topic

I just got this one back, now with Ben Edlund's autograph on it. I'm thinking about getting Peter Alan Laird and Paul Chadwick who illustrated Concrete on the back cover. The only downfall is the drop from 9.2 to 9.0 when resubmitted into CGC.

nyfr0l.jpg

24wy3c2.jpg

2ezilhx.jpg

Getting Laird will be very difficult.

What he said.

He did make an unscheduled appearance at a convention last year. His first convention in 7 years. It won't be impossible, just very difficult.

This is hilarious.

I sold this last week for $50....a day after they received it they listed it for $500!! HAHAHAH...too bad they will probably never get more than $50 for it

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TMNT-51-Oct-2015-IDW-CGC-9-8-NM-MT-SS-Steve-Lavigne-Casey-Jones-Sketch-Cover-/252752805548?hash=item3ad93dbeac:g:dckAAOSw241Yk894

This is hilarious.

I sold this last week for $50....a day after they received it they listed it for $500!! HAHAHAH...too bad they will probably never get more than $50 for it

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TMNT-51-Oct-2015-IDW-CGC-9-8-NM-MT-SS-Steve-Lavigne-Casey-Jones-Sketch-Cover-/252752805548?hash=item3ad93dbeac:g:dckAAOSw241Yk894

Yeah, not sure what makes it a $500 book in their eyes. Very cool, but like you said, I can't imagine it's gonna sell for much over what they bought it for.

I just completed reading Volume 1 in it's entirety for the very first time. I was quite surprised by the "guest era", some I enjoyed greatly ("The River", and the issues by Michael Zulli in particular), some were quite awful IMO. I know Eastman/Laird were busy with TMNT blowing up as a global phenomenon, but it really surprised me that they sort of let their "baby" (the original comic) get taken over by random people. From the fan letters they would print, it seemed like the fan base was constantly begging for Eastman/Laird to return. To anyone who was actively reading it at this time, how was it perceived then? Did sales drop because of the constant "guests" and lack of continuity?

SPOILERS BELOW:

I also had very high expectations for "City of War", and although it was pretty good, I didn't find it particularly amazing. The Casey Jones/Gabrielle/Shadow thing just seemed like a complete waste, and I kept hoping the "old man" they kept referring to would end up being Shredder instead of just a truly random person.

I then moved on to Volume 2 for the first time, I must say I am just not particularly fond of Jim Lawson's turtles. I think it's the awkwardly "square" mouths, it just bothers me lol. Anyway, I enjoyed Volume 2 and the color (Casey as a Schwarzenegger mock was pretty weird but at the time I'm sure it was funny). It seemed to be moving on just fine, when suddenly in the letters they were announcing they were done making TMNT comics. Just wondering what caused that, was Volume 2 that bad at the time? Awful sales? Did they lose their fan base because of the "guest" era or what? Just genuinely curious.

I'm still on the hunt for a few issues from Vol 3 Image, and Vol 4 Mirage before I can continue, but it has been a blast catching up on the comics. I love the old stuff, but it has made me appreciate the current IDW series even more.

OK guys, fellow turtlehead's, and the like, here it is. I waited for this for a very long time. Many many many special thanks to Dave (comics and ponies) for getting this done. I'm getting it framed as we speak. I wanted to wait, but can't. Here it is.  To say that Kevin knocked it out of the park is an understatement.  I am now the proud owner of this-----

image_zpsbxbk6dre.jpeg

This post has two purposes:

1) Test out the image posting function of the new board format.  This is my first.

2) Show off a book I'm very excited about!!!

I bought a Tales of the TMNT in Universal 9.8 years ago.  It looked like a solid 9.8 to me.  I had it signed by Steve and Peter a few months later and was shocked that it dropped to 9.6.  It still looked like a 9.8 to me.  So I cracked it and had Kevin sign it about a year later.  STILL came back a 9.6 despite looking perfect to my eyes.  I showed the slab to several friends to see if they could find a flaw keeping it out of 9.8.  None of them could.  Over 2 years after getting Kevin to sign it, I had it sent in for re-evaluation because in my mind, if this wasn't a 9.8, I must not know what a 9.8 looks like. 

Looks like CGC came around on this during the re-evaluation.  SO PUMPED!!! :banana:

Tales of the TMNT #1 SS.jpg