• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
23 23

8,280 posts in this topic

On 4/18/2017 at 10:11 PM, rich_TMNT said:

Hi everyone.  I'm planning to create a variant cover for TMNT #73 (Aug. 2017) to celebrate TMNT, Vol. V (IDW) becoming the longest-running TMNT title ever!  This cover will be drawn by a Mirage-era artist and will be limited in quantity.  If this is something you'd be interested in, I've launched a 30-day Kickstarter campaign to get things rolling.  There are multiple tiers of backing options available (starting at $10 USD) and every tier includes at least one copy of this variant cover when released.  If you're a Turtles comic book collector / fan, a regular visitor to my website TMNT: A Collection (tmnt-ninjaturtles.com), or just interested in backing a cool project, head on over to Kickstarter and help me make it happen.  Your support is greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

Pledged!  Great idea!

For those that may have not perused the latest Heritage Comic Auction, I wanted to draw attention to the two lots that may be of particular interest to this group:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/kevin-eastman-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtle-head-sketch-inside-gobbledygook-1-full-issue-printed-masters-set-mir-total-6-original-art-/a/7163-93230.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/kevin-eastman-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtle-head-sketch-inside-gobbledygook-2-full-issue-printed-masters-set-mir-total-6-original-art-/a/7163-93231.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

As these two lots are mine, I wanted to make sure I answered questions from people about what these are as many people may not have heard of them before.  I purchased these directly from Kevin Eastman a few years ago when he still lived in LA.  These are the original mock-ups from which the super-rare Gobbledygook #1 & #2 were printed back in 1984. 

Each page is 11" x 17" and is double-sided.  You may ask, why are the page numbers out of order?  Well, when you make a book, they are printed like this so that when the book in compiled and stapled, they appear in the correct order. 

To create these, Eastman and Laird photocopied and shrunk the original art to fit on these pages.  They then glued the photocopied onto a stiffer board and made edits to the pages before publication.  There is some original writing on some of the pages, most notably the inside front covers and the chapter notations.  You'll also see areas where they filled in blacks with a marker.  What's great about these is that you can see all the art the way that it was intended to be seen (and it's larger than the printed books which were reduced to 8.5" x 14" paper).  Even on true original copies, sometimes some of the art around the edges gets washed out. 

What should these go for?   Well, it's hard to say... which is why I listed them in Heritage.  You think Turtlemania Gold is rare?... well, it doesn't get any rarer than one of a kind! 

Congratulations in advance to the winner(s). You'll own a true piece of Turtles' history!

If anyone has any additional questions, please feel to post here and I'm happy to answer. 

Also, don't forget people that Heritage also has a TMNT #1 1st print 9.8 WP up for auction, currently around $2,000.  It's not mine but wish it were!

https://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/alternative-underground/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-1-mirage-studios-1984-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/7163-91017.s?ic4

Edited by GM8

what is the key list for TMNT books? besides some of the turtle mania rarties.

After #1 the print runs started creeping up there.

My list would look like this:

TMNT 1 first print

TMNT 1 2nd print

?

1 hour ago, 1p36DSA said:

what is the key list for TMNT books? besides some of the turtle mania rarties.

After #1 the print runs started creeping up there.

My list would look like this:

TMNT 1 first print

TMNT 1 2nd print

?

Outside of the Turtlemanias, my top 5 list would look like:

1) TMNT #1 1st Print (~3,000 copies)

2) Gobbledygook #1 (~50 copies)

3) Gobbledygook #2 (~50 copies)

4) TMNT #3 NYCC Edition (~500 copies)

5) TMNT Signed & #'d Hardcover Reprint Book (Ltd. to 1000 copies) -

The 2nd print of TMNT #1 would be next in line (~6,000 copies) and I'd put TMNT #29 (~1000 copies) up there as well as a novelty piece. 

makes sense, I should have put a clause for the gobbledygooks as well;)

NYCC before 2nd print #1? I wouldn't just base on print run either, but that's just me

didn't realize #29 had such low numbers

6 hours ago, 1p36DSA said:

makes sense, I should have put a clause for the gobbledygooks as well;)

NYCC before 2nd print #1? I wouldn't just base on print run either, but that's just me

didn't realize #29 had such low numbers

To be clear, the #29 being referenced is from Volume 4, not volume 1.  Volume 4 made it to issue 30 before the property was sold to Nickelodeon.  A few years later, #31 and #32 were released as the artwork had been completed years earlier.  Many of the later books in this run (at least 29-32) had print runs of 1,000.  #29 seems to be the most scarce of the group, so it fetches the most.  It's not really key in the sense that something significant happens in the issue...instead it seems it's mostly sought-after so fans can complete their runs. 

TMNT #1 9.8 on fleabay is over $14K already.  At one point this book was considered a modern age book, right?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/352037128335?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Tempting, but can't part with my stash....

Jerome

Edited by Lethal_Collector

8 hours ago, Lethal_Collector said:

TMNT #1 9.8 on fleabay is over $14K already.  At one point this book was considered a modern age book, right?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/352037128335?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Jerome

Heritage auction same issue is a STEAL at 11K (13K w/ buyers premium)!  Does anyone know how the seller premium works at Heritage?  Do they waive the seller's fee above a certain value?  19% is such a cash grab and that's just the buyer's premium.

The question is why would nick bridger list his at the same time as the other one?   Not a good move in my opinion.  There's only so many people out there with $25-30K who want to buy this comic.

Edited by GM8

47 minutes ago, nriccijr said:

Don't forget....in his blog a few years ago PL said there were actually 300 additional first prints printed so the total is more like 3300 :nyah:

Yep, I've seen 3,275 mentioned a few times.

On 4/27/2017 at 0:23 AM, Lethal_Collector said:

Jerome

What "last ones have sold for $32,000+"?

IMG_8709.PNG

Edited by Icculus308win

11 hours ago, Icculus308win said:

What "last ones have sold for $32,000+"?

Unknown.  Several have traded through private sales apparently, but no published and verifiable prices.

Ebay auction closed at $24,100.00.  Under my predicted range of $25-30K but not far off.  We'll see if sale sticks.  Bad timing on seller's part since the Heritage auction of same exact book is happening now also.

Heritage is at $16K (19K with buyer's premium).