• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
23 23

8,280 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, GM8 said:

You're right.  Well this is certainly a trend now.  We'll see if the CL one catches up.  I know HA gets extra from both sides but is it your experience that HA always commands the highest prices?  

And I just noticed that both the HA and CL 9.4's have OW/W pages which usually command around 20% less than White pages.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-1-first-printing-mirage-studios-1984-cgc-nm-94-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7039-91197.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Till that last 9.6 on HA I woulda said all the sites get about the same final realized prices after you factor in the buyer's premiums.

10 hours ago, szavisca said:

$7,600!...that seems almost impossibly low.  Wonder if internet lag messed up peoples snipes....or if the book has come crashing back down.  Man...this result makes about as much sense as the 26k 9.6 did to me...

Previous one on Ebay sold for $7566 on 10/16.  The HA 9.4 for $10,000 was offer received so until that is closed then this is the right price range for the 9.4's.

Back-of-the-napkin math for a 9.4 for me would come close to the $10K price based on the last 9.6.  Here's how I get there: 9.6 White pages price was $26+K.  Half that for the next lower grade is $12+K, then a discount of 20% for OW/W pages brings to just above $10K.  But that's just my math.  Real price is what people pay and so we're somewhere around $7600 until the HA 9.4 offer closes.

7 minutes ago, GM8 said:

Previous one on Ebay sold for $7566 on 10/16.  The HA 9.4 for $10,000 was offer received so until that is closed then this is the right price range for the 9.4's.

Back-of-the-napkin math for a 9.4 for me would come close to the $10K price based on the last 9.6.  Here's how I get there: 9.6 White pages price was $26+K.  Half that for the next lower grade is $12+K, then a discount of 20% for OW/W pages brings to just above $10K.  But that's just my math.  Real price is what people pay and so we're somewhere around $7600 until the HA 9.4 offer closes.

Volatile for sure.  Hard to rationalize a 9.0 going for 6,200 then a week later a 9.4 going for only 7,600 though.

probably just have to chalk it up to randomness and timing for an expensive collectible for which there are few buyers with the ability to pay what it takes.

TMNT 1 is a strange book.  The 7.0 went over 3k.  My guess is the low grade copies go high because you have a lot of people who aren't deep pocket buyers who go all out just to get a copy... and on the high grade books they're just not something that appeals to the wealthy in the same way.  

What you end up with is this atypical price distribution for low and ultra high grade copies.

just checked the 9.4... 7600 eh?  well wish i was there to snipe this one.  any 9.4 in the 7k-8k range is a buy in my opinion.  as those of us that grew up on the turtles get older and more established financially this book in high grade (all grades) is going to go up in value like a V rocket.  definitely curious price spreads during this auction cycle.  Heritage has a 9.8 in their next big auction.  Stoked to see where it hammers.

3 hours ago, GM8 said:

There's another 9.0 at Comic Connect right now.   Currently $4,000.

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=744730

Last one just sold at HA for $6214.

Nice looking copy with white pages but doesn't really look like it has much press potential.  

I could be wrong but I think ccs wouldn't press these till a few years ago.  Wonder if people are valuing good looking books that were slabbed a long time ago vs recently in hopes of pressing them up.  Wouldn't surprise me.

Think I'll start doing my own little research and looking at the submission dates on all these.

1 hour ago, szavisca said:

I could be wrong but I think ccs wouldn't press these till a few years ago.  

I never heard this ? There's another magazine size book that CGC would not grade until recently because of counterfeits.  Maybe you are thinking of that ?

10 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I never heard this ? There's another magazine size book that CGC would not grade until recently because of counterfeits.  Maybe you are thinking of that ?

2 years ago I used to sub books through my LCS.  I tried to have them send a copy of TMNT #1 to ccs first first for a press but the LCS owner told me ccs told them they wouldn't press magazine size books valued over $1,000.  

The LCS owner could have been wrong or inept but I took him at his word at the time.

11 minutes ago, szavisca said:

2 years ago I used to sub books through my LCS.  I tried to have them send a copy of TMNT #1 to ccs first first for a press but the LCS owner told me ccs told them they wouldn't press magazine size books valued over $1,000.  

The LCS owner could have been wrong or inept but I took him at his word at the time.

Interesting. I've never had a magazine pressed before. Perhaps there is some risk.

10 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I think a lot of magazines don't have staples, meaning they have other ways of keeping the book together that will be affected by the humidification of pressing, imo. 

That makes sense. TMNT 1 has staples, its magazine size but not a magazine. I could see my LCS owner not having communicated effectively and there having been a misunderstanding.

Edited by szavisca

5 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I think a lot of magazines don't have staples, meaning they have other ways of keeping the book together that will be affected by the humidification of pressing, imo. 

Makes sense. The same should go for square bounds where glue holds the book to the cover. I've told the story before that years ago a pre-CCS Matt Nelson used to show up at conventions. For a nominal fee he would review your books while you waited for good pressing candidates. He rejected a square bound saying they should not be pressed as the heat affects the glue. Other Board pressers now say it is okay but I still wonder as the logic still makes sense. I've seen some bad examples where the spine is completely smooshed, not so much 'square' anymore but flat. Looks pretty ugly to me.

Oh I really feel like a geek now. 

Ok so there's a 9.8 WP for sale on ebay now by a repeated seller nick_bridger.  He's *only* asking $30,000.  Since a 9.6 just went for $26,000 and change I have got to think this is a steal in light of recent sales.  Just my $0.02!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-1-1st-Printing-1984-Mirage/362178298655?epid=86513984&hash=item545382431f:g:qqIAAOSwjM5aJwI~

34 minutes ago, GM8 said:

Oh I really feel like a geek now. 

Ok so there's a 9.8 WP for sale on ebay now by a repeated seller nick_bridger.  He's *only* asking $30,000.  Since a 9.6 just went for $26,000 and change I have got to think this is a steal in light of recent sales.  Just my $0.02!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-1-1st-Printing-1984-Mirage/362178298655?epid=86513984&hash=item545382431f:g:qqIAAOSwjM5aJwI~

Baffling... if I had 30k I'd be all over it.

comic connect 9.0 at $5,700 with an hour and a half to go.