Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
34 34

5,991 posts in this topic

24 posts
12 hours ago, Turtle said:

Welcome to your first month on ebay!

:jokealert:

It really does happen ALL THE TIME, despite being against eBay's Terms of Service.  It allows a seller to skirt the selling fees ebay charges even though they used eBay's infrastructure to connect to the buyer.  The seller will often make some quick money doing this, but many buyers will block the seller moving forward as they don't want to play games eBay's system. 

HAHAHA, yeah, I knew people did this but I thought if it had bids on it it raised a red flag.

FWIW, I contacted the seller and he told me he setup a sale with someone for $9k.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
544 posts
22 hours ago, Turtle said:

Welcome to your first month on ebay!

:jokealert:

It really does happen ALL THE TIME, despite being against eBay's Terms of Service.  It allows a seller to skirt the selling fees ebay charges even though they used eBay's infrastructure to connect to the buyer.  The seller will often make some quick money doing this, but many buyers will block the seller moving forward as they don't want to play games eBay's system. 

It does happen all the time and it's a direct result of the ever-increasing fees charged to sellers and the ever-decreasing benifits sellers receive. It's not right but it just is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 post
On 8/28/2018 at 7:15 PM, TMNTDude said:

HAHAHA, yeah, I knew people did this but I thought if it had bids on it it raised a red flag.

FWIW, I contacted the seller and he told me he setup a sale with someone for $9k.

Was he trying to get you to beat that price?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
808 posts

...on a lighter note I received the books below back from CGC recently. They were bought off the rack at my LCS in Montreal in ‘88/‘89 thus the ‘Canadian Edition’.

0324897F-DFBF-4B93-95EB-515F7285CB3A.jpeg

Edited by pubmonkey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,068 posts
On 9/3/2018 at 6:16 PM, pubmonkey said:

...on a lighter note I received the books below back from CGC recently. They were bought off the rack at my LCS in Montreal in ‘88/‘89 thus the ‘Canadian Edition’.

0324897F-DFBF-4B93-95EB-515F7285CB3A.jpeg

Nice!  You took really good care of these!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
808 posts

thanks Adam, that's 30 years of being pressed in mylar in a long box and never seeing the light of day. Even after all that the mini series #2 still came back a 9.0... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,825 posts

Just checked. It's down for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
279 posts

Hopefully this is OK to post as I thought there may be community interested in seeing the scans of this copy of Turtlemania Silver (its NOT for sale).  We are using it as a fun promotion (guess the number out of 100) so the identifying numbers are currently edited out. I will post the un-edited scans here on Friday, but any questions about it let me know as its one I actually purchased as a kid in the 80s. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
365 posts
2 hours ago, nriccijr said:

How did that get a blue label

I was thinking that exact same thing.  And the odd thing is that the CGC census shows 6 copies Universal (Blue) and 6 copies Qualified (Green).  Would be nice to have some consistency in these labels as I don't see how Universal label would be possible with these pre-signed Silver books.  Also note that there are ZERO Gold copies listed as Universal and all are Qualified.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,875 posts

If the signatures, being unverified, hurt the grade of the book they give green by default. If they don’t have an impact on grade, due to other defects, it by default gets blue. Plus, the submitter can request blue based off preference. Meaning, someone with a 9.6 green candidate could request a blue label, which would result in a lower grade due to sigs...in theory.

Edited by Callaway29

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
365 posts
32 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

If the signatures, being unverified, hurt the grade of the book they give green by default. If they don’t have an impact on grade, due to other defects, it by default gets blue. Plus, the submitter can request blue based off preference. Meaning, someone with a 9.6 green candidate could request a blue label, which would result in a lower grade due to sigs...in theory.

Good to know.  Thanks.  I didn't think any pre-signed books were supposed to get the blue label anymore (at least those signed on the exterior).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,202 posts
On 10/2/2018 at 10:19 PM, rich_TMNT said:

Good to know.  Thanks.  I didn't think any pre-signed books were supposed to get the blue label anymore (at least those signed on the exterior).

Callaway is correct.  At least half of the time the “submitter” has this option. I’m thinking it must be a 3-4.0.  They grade this book very awkwardly though  

On 9/29/2018 at 11:54 AM, nriccijr said:

 Wowza! Thanks for posting.  If I wasn’t going to NYCC on Saturday,  I would be there.  I’m sure you all understand that too much time away from the family is not good!  If anyone is going, please let me know. I would love a few signatures, verified or not.  I’ve said many times that the next time he signs, I would be there. This is a bit of a bummer for me! I still haven’t met the other half to the turtles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
279 posts

Here are the scans as promised.  This is book 89/100.  @Callaway29 was spot on about the blue label.  In this case the book has a spine split just above the bottom staple.  Its was only ever opened, partially, one time, but since the cover is made of a stiff card stock it split instantly when it was brand new.  I have never forgiven myself :(

2018-10-01-0009.jpg

2018-10-01-0010.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,258 posts

Did this already get discussed?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-TMNT-1-1st-Printing-CGC-9-6-Mirage-1984-/202438099575?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

CGC 9.6 TMNT #1 - watchcount.com says the "Best Offer" accepted was $20,000 and GPA has it at $20,000.  No signatures inside or out, just a standard CGC 9.6 White Pages blue label.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
544 posts
On 10/8/2018 at 5:05 PM, valiantman said:

Did this already get discussed?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-TMNT-1-1st-Printing-CGC-9-6-Mirage-1984-/202438099575?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

CGC 9.6 TMNT #1 - watchcount.com says the "Best Offer" accepted was $20,000 and GPA has it at $20,000.  No signatures inside or out, just a standard CGC 9.6 White Pages blue label.

 

Didn't see that yet. That's a slight bump up from the average price of late. Seller had this up on Comic Link and ebay at several prices, originally 30K then 25, then 27, then 23.5. So he really tested the higher prices but settled at 20 for this one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,258 posts
3 hours ago, GM8 said:
On 10/8/2018 at 4:05 PM, valiantman said:

Did this already get discussed?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-TMNT-1-1st-Printing-CGC-9-6-Mirage-1984-/202438099575?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

CGC 9.6 TMNT #1 - watchcount.com says the "Best Offer" accepted was $20,000 and GPA has it at $20,000.  No signatures inside or out, just a standard CGC 9.6 White Pages blue label.

 

Didn't see that yet. That's a slight bump up from the average price of late. Seller had this up on Comic Link and ebay at several prices, originally 30K then 25, then 27, then 23.5. So he really tested the higher prices but settled at 20 for this one.

I wish I could "settle" for a record price every time. lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
544 posts
43 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I wish I could "settle" for a record price every time. lol

It would be a nice problem to have, no? However, this isn't a record. The Heritage sale on 11/17/17 of $26,920 was a record for a 9.6 (cgc # 1294883001). Still a nice price and ebay takes less of a hit on sale(and buy) than Heritage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
34 34