• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
23 23

8,267 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, So-CoAddict said:

For OA collectors, there is a page from Mirage #5 available in the Prop Store's latest collectibles auction.

https://usm.propstoreauction.com/m/lot-details/index/catalog/249/lot/58952/

Awesome page. Good luck to the bidders! I also see a cool Tick/Cerebus piece there. 

Two more to add to my TMNT #1 homage collection. 

When RRRR#1 came along, I found the Quah cover on Eastman's site and I thought that was it.  Then I was wandering around NYCC 2019 and I noticed the "Virgin" variant behind the artist's table.  It's tough to keep up with these homages.  If anyone sees any new ones come up, feel free to tag me and point me in the right direction.  :foryou:

2119816229_RadicallyRearrangedRoninRagdolls1QuahVariant.thumb.jpg.12705458e345ab81b3cd0fa6fc71c356.jpg656972398_RadicallyRearragnedRoninRagdolls1QuahVariantVirgin.thumb.jpg.1d7748646970aa866ea2f7fdd98c5721.jpg

11 minutes ago, Icculus308win said:

Not the best looking spine or staples - which makes it look like the only two silvers I’ve ever seen in person.

But no sigs or numbered out of 100.....hope someone can help me ASAP

0576CCFF-5B87-4418-AEF4-D9F2C3842D81.thumb.jpeg.14e88c8f7027e029b327e212d274952c.jpeg

@Turtle

5 hours ago, Icculus308win said:

Not the best looking spine or staples - which makes it look like the only two silvers I’ve ever seen in person.

But no sigs or numbered out of 100.....hope someone can help me ASAP

0576CCFF-5B87-4418-AEF4-D9F2C3842D81.thumb.jpeg.14e88c8f7027e029b327e212d274952c.jpeg

Do you have a picture of the back?  Just blank?

5 hours ago, Icculus308win said:

BIG question fellow TMNT aficionados (many who know way more than me) is this a legit Silver edition in my hands?

48E7F09D-D885-4EDD-83FA-FE079DF2F381.thumb.jpeg.4c7c5fa1411fa5a770468b42436370e1.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Turtle said:

Do you have a picture of the back?  Just blank?

The pics are further up this page :foryou:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

If I'm in the market for a Silver:

1. I don't want one I'm so uncertain about 

2. Gotta have the sigs and number

That would be like getting a Gold without a sketch... Sure it's a Gold but that sketch is major part of makes it. Just my 2c

@Icculus308win  Very interesting!  You posting about this now is a bit uncanny.  Recently in my Turtles FB group a new member stated that he was thinking of selling some of his copies of Turtlemania Silver.  He had no pictures (and still hasn't provided any) but he did state that none of his copies were numbered or signed.  This, of course, made me wary of a scam and so I contacted Robert Wilson (the guy that created the Turtlemania books).  Robert actually knew this guy and they had been partners in business back in the 1980's but they hadn't been in touch in about 30 years.  Robert said it's likely that the "Silver" copies (grayish cover) without signature or numbering (assuming that's what this guy had) would have to be surplus copies (overprinted quantity from the same print run) set aside to be used as backup copies in case one of the 100 signed & numbered copies got damaged, ruined, etc. 

So, from the pictures here, it seems that what you have is one of the surplus copies of Turtlemania Silver edition that was not signed or numbered.  According to Robert, it would be from the same print run as the signed & numbered books.  It looks to be on the correct "grayish" paper stock and you had mentioned spine damage which is something that many of the Silver editions suffer from (both of mine included) due to the poor quality paper stock.  The spines split quite often and the staples are many times rusted (staining the cover paper).  However, your grade of 9.6 clearly indicates that it's not suffering from as much spine damage as typical Silver copies (although the staples look a bit inset).  Usually there's a visible split in the spine.  The reason yours may not have much spine damage is that it wasn't opened / handled as much as the 100 signed / numbered copies.

I'd be interested to know the provenance of this copy (if you know it).  It no longer surprises me to find out about all these different variants of Turtlemania books anymore.  As with the Turtlemania hand-colored edition I acquired a few years back, seems Robert Wilson allowed a bunch of these "un-documented" variants, copies, etc. to exist.  At least Robert is still available as a resource for inquiries about all these Turtlemania books.  Otherwise, we'd be in the dark. 

Edited by rich_TMNT