• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A little corner of the UK
2 2

9,411 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Gnasher said:

I only found out recently that The Batman stories in Smash! were reprints of the newspaper strips :o

Image result for smash batman

A wily wench :grin:

5 hours ago, Gnasher said:

I only found out recently that The Batman stories in Smash! were reprints of the newspaper strips :o

I loved those early Batman stories and it was a great and cheap way to introduce new fan's to the hobby.:x I remember spending many an hour copying the drawings from these comics, the only pity was I never kept any, it was once drawn then forgot about.(thumbsu 

22 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

By brown ales does he mean Newcastle,team up with the Broon Bottle?

This spoiler has swears,sensitive type look away

Reveal hidden contents

018-24-brownbottle.jpg

Without doubt an all-time classic fight scene.

Also nice to see some crystal-clear, northern dialect English.

Edited by Ken Aldred

15 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Oooh,I haven't got any of these yet.Really like the eye appeal.Striking.

7 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Without doubt an all-time classic fight scene.

Also nice to see some crystal-clear, northern dialect English.

When I'm on the phone with my mate in Newcastle, I have a hard time with his Geordie accent and he laughs at me and says I talk posh lol .Neither of us reckon we have accents at all of course.Well,I realize I likely say ooot and aboot,but not as thick as my northern Ontario neighbours :sumo:

12 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

When I'm on the phone with my mate in Newcastle, I have a hard time with his Geordie accent and he laughs at me and says I talk posh lol .Neither of us reckon we have accents at all of course.Well,I realize I likely say ooot and aboot,but not as thick as my northern Ontario neighbours :sumo:

If you think that's bad try living in Belfast, I am soft spoken yet everyone around me speaks as if they are shouting "AYE i'LL DO YA AND YER MATE AS WELL!":roflmao:"DO YA WANT A CUP OF TAE OR NOT?" yes a very romantic language is it not.:bigsmile:

10 minutes ago, tv horror said:

If you think that's bad try living in Belfast, I am soft spoken yet everyone around me speaks as if they are shouting "AYE i'LL DO YA AND YER MATE AS WELL!":roflmao:"DO YA WANT A CUP OF TAE OR NOT?" yes a very romantic language is it not.:bigsmile:

My mom's dad was born in Ulster and came here with his  parents and family that eventually topped out at sixteen other brothers and sisters.I pretty much grew up my grands house and it was three stories with five of the six boys still at home.I understand what folk mean by Irish loud!My wife almost fainted on her first Christmas gathering/dinner with us all yelling over each other.:cloud9:

Edited by porcupine48

6 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

Geordie's are some of the nicest and friendliest people in the UK (thumbsu

I can remember passing this shop on my journey to work in the mid 70's when it was called Weird Comics.... I'd given up buying comics several years before, so never went in myself.

Quality-New-Cross-exterior-x-2-660.jpg

The link below gives some info on this era of it's life.....

http://transpont.blogspot.com/2012/06/quality-comics.html