• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A little corner of the UK
2 2

9,411 posts in this topic

On 2/9/2020 at 2:04 PM, Gnasher said:

Update on the map for UK LCS...

https://downthetubes.net/?p=114459

Thanks for that, I didn't know such a thing existed.

Wow, East Kent (my location) is really a wasteland for comics.

I'm not sure on the accuracy of the map though. I remember one of @Get Marwood & I rambles where he went to a LCS in Whistable and I visited a shop in Hastings where they a sold a fair range of comics although I think they were primarily a second-hand record store.

6 hours ago, Harry Lime said:

I'm not sure on the accuracy of the map though. I remember one of @Get Marwood & I rambles where he went to a LCS in Whistable and I visited a shop in Hastings where they a sold a fair range of comics although I think they were primarily a second-hand record store.

It's by no means definitive, relying on the heads up from fans. It's the best available at the mo(thumbsu

It does look a bit sparse over your way, but considering the Weald and surrounding area is mainly small villages,  not too surprising: I would have thought the coastal towns would have had a shop or two.

5 hours ago, Kevin.J said:

Threw out all my filing cabinets last night, gonna start to make comic hangers today :banana:

Funnily enough, I threw out all my wire coat hangers and now keep my clothes in filing cabinets.  :smile:

19 hours ago, Gnasher said:
On 3/7/2020 at 10:33 AM, Harry Lime said:

It's by no means definitive, relying on the heads up from fans. It's the best available at the mo(thumbsu

It does look a bit sparse over your way, but considering the Weald and surrounding area is mainly small villages,  not too surprising: I would have thought the coastal towns would have had a shop or two

The Whitstable shop is primarily a DVD rental shop. Lots of cool stuff, toys and things but not many comics. No new ones.

I'm currently in Margate for a few days. Two comic shops there. One has about 20 boxes, mostly Marvel and DC. Not much good. The other has a lot of recent back issues and is closing down.

Neither are worth a dedicated trip. Not a Charlton, Dell or Gold Key to be found.

Cool looking record shop though down the road - the quote above the door made me smile

20200308_120717(0).thumb.jpg.80ba4b9bed838f8186592671afc6592b.jpg

Just had the best spaghetti carbonara I've ever had. And what an evening...

20200308_201958.thumb.jpg.2fd0f208fcad4c2ce34fda68ce3d2ebe.jpg

Not a comic to be seen.

Marcy, Stan, Surfer and Marvel UK...

Here the blurb that goes with the vid on YT

Glam rock legend Marc Bolan interviewed Marvel icon Stan Lee in 1975 for ITV TV's "The Today Show" (I mistakenly attributed the program to the BBC in the video). This audio snippet (which is all I am aware of that exists of that interview) was put to video by myself. In the interview, Marc and Stan discuss Dr. Strange and his foe Dormammu, The Silver Surfer and his origin by Stan and Jack Kirby, THE TITANS Marvel UK comic book, and Angela Bowie as The Black Widow for a proposed TV series.

And the photo of Angie Bowie as Black Widow

Angie Bowie, dressed, Black Widow, Marvel comics, Danny Scott

She also auditioned for Wonder Woman though...

angie-bowie-wonder-woman.jpg

Edited by Gnasher

6 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Marcy, Stan, Surfer and Marvel UK...

Here the blurb that goes with the vid on YT

Glam rock legend Marc Bolan interviewed Marvel icon Stan Lee in 1975 for ITV TV's "The Today Show" (I mistakenly attributed the program to the BBC in the video). This audio snippet (which is all I am aware of that exists of that interview) was put to video by myself. In the interview, Marc and Stan discuss Dr. Strange and his foe Dormammu, The Silver Surfer and his origin by Stan and Jack Kirby, THE TITANS Marvel UK comic book, and Angela Bowie as The Black Widow for a proposed TV series.

And the photo of Angie Bowie as Black Widow

Angie Bowie, dressed, Black Widow, Marvel comics, Danny Scott

She also auditioned for Wonder Woman though...

angie-bowie-wonder-woman.jpg

That's excellent - thanks for that. I'd never heard it before or seen those photos.

Angie Bowie as Black Widow - that would have been funny. David as Hawkeye!

I know there are a few fans of Starburst Magazine from previous posts, so if you want to relive some of those days you'll find them here..   https://archive.org/details/Starburst_Magazine_001_1978-01_Starburst_Magazine-UK/mode/1up

In addition the entire collection of Starlog is also available.

https://archive.org/details/starlog_magazine-001

6 hours ago, Gnasher said:

I know there are a few fans of Starburst Magazine from previous posts, so if you want to relive some of those days you'll find them here..   https://archive.org/details/Starburst_Magazine_001_1978-01_Starburst_Magazine-UK/mode/1up

In addition the entire collection of Starlog is also available.

https://archive.org/details/starlog_magazine-001

Thanks for this - it was my favourite magazine for a good many years. I'll have to get my copies out for a flick through.