• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A little corner of the UK
2 2

9,411 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

I needed a good phone call to learn whom was who -I didn't get smoggies,mackems and other stuff,soapdodgers,schemies,estates.It was a learning.

I've not a clue about any of that either. My son-in-law is a Geordie, and I just generally nod and smile when he's talking lol

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

I can remember passing this shop on my journey to work in the mid 70's when it was called Weird Comics.... I'd given up buying comics several years before, so never went in myself.

Quality-New-Cross-exterior-x-2-660.jpg

The link below gives some info on this era of it's life.....

http://transpont.blogspot.com/2012/06/quality-comics.html

Cor. What would we give to be back there now eh, in a time when pretty much every town had a comic shop of some sort. Ditto records. Ditto books...

2 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Cor. What would we give to be back there now eh, in a time when pretty much every town had a comic shop of some sort. Ditto records. Ditto books...

Aye. different days altogether Steve. We were a nation of shop-keepers for sure back then, and it made life a bit more interesting hunting things down.

This one went onto bigger things, better is debatable.

177b69d2d4a208697e1d5af981dca3ad.jpg

5 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Aye. different days altogether Steve. We were a nation of shop-keepers for sure back then, and it made life a bit more interesting hunting things down.

This one went onto bigger things, better is debatable.

177b69d2d4a208697e1d5af981dca3ad.jpg

Yep. I loved it when it was a 'proper' comic shop. I remember buying issue #1 of Doctor Who Bulletin there for 45p while my brother queued up to see Anthony Daniels who was doing a signing. In those days you could walk to quite a few comic shops in a small area. I think it was around 1989 that I went into Gosh in it's former site opposite the museum and found a load of early ASMs under #100. They ranged from 70p to as much as £4 for the decent ones (like ASM #50!). I bought about 20 and that kick started what was to become the second of my three ASM collecting waves down the years.

There was a small shop down an alley near FP. I always forget what it was called, but I remember selling the bloke there a load of my Doctor Who memorabilia. Tons of the stuff I had. I did it over three weeks on Saturdays and probably got a pittance. On the fourth visit or so, he had a go at me for not leaving my bag at the counter. Even as a young kid, I was amazed that someone who had spent weeks buying your stuff could be so thoughtless. I don't think I went there again after that. 

I know it's silly and time moves on, but I really do lament the loss of the hobby as it was. People aside, I think comics are the only thing that I have loved all my life, along with music. To see both hobbies dying out hasn't been a great source of joy. It's a bit like losing a loved one. You can't quite believe that you cant go and see them anymore. The don't exist anywhere. And that is how it is now, largely, for most of the things that have made up my life's interests. 

46 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

There was a small shop down an alley near FP.

There was a shop called "Dark they were and golden eyed" that I got some great stuff from by mail order and they never let me down once, also it was a very catchy name for a shop. Have any of you ever visited the shop in person as I'd love to know what the service was like and the stuff available, thanks.(thumbsu 

14 minutes ago, tv horror said:

There was a shop called "Dark they were and golden eyed" that I got some great stuff from by mail order and they never let me down once, also it was a very catchy name for a shop. Have any of you ever visited the shop in person as I'd love to know what the service was like and the stuff available, thanks.(thumbsu 

Not heard of that one Maurice, no. Or at least I don't remember it. There were some great shops back in the day. And as for mail order, blimey did I spend a fortune with some of them!

brochures.thumb.jpg.e1bf9e141a8fa08abf1541d9f504d5e8.jpg brochures2.thumb.jpg.7664ff782ce1832fef60175a25e8ce66.jpg

1 hour ago, tv horror said:

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Not heard of that one Maurice, no. Or at least I don't remember it. There were some great shops back in the day. And as for mail order, blimey did I spend a fortune with some of them!

brochures.thumb.jpg.e1bf9e141a8fa08abf1541d9f504d5e8.jpg brochures2.thumb.jpg.7664ff782ce1832fef60175a25e8ce66.jpg

That would be this one. 

I found out that Top Ten Comics occupied the same location from '89-93. which was co-owned by Paul Gambacini and Jonathon Ross.

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Yep. I loved it when it was a 'proper' comic shop. I remember buying issue #1 of Doctor Who Bulletin there for 45p while my brother queued up to see Anthony Daniels who was doing a signing. In those days you could walk to quite a few comic shops in a small area. I think it was around 1989 that I went into Gosh in it's former site opposite the museum and found a load of early ASMs under #100. They ranged from 70p to as much as £4 for the decent ones (like ASM #50!). I bought about 20 and that kick started what was to become the second of my three ASM collecting waves down the years.

There was a small shop down an alley near FP. I always forget what it was called, but I remember selling the bloke there a load of my Doctor Who memorabilia. Tons of the stuff I had. I did it over three weeks on Saturdays and probably got a pittance. On the fourth visit or so, he had a go at me for not leaving my bag at the counter. Even as a young kid, I was amazed that someone who had spent weeks buying your stuff could be so thoughtless. I don't think I went there again after that. 

I know it's silly and time moves on, but I really do lament the loss of the hobby as it was. People aside, I think comics are the only thing that I have loved all my life, along with music. To see both hobbies dying out hasn't been a great source of joy. It's a bit like losing a loved one. You can't quite believe that you cant go and see them anymore. The don't exist anywhere. And that is how it is now, largely, for most of the things that have made up my life's interests. 

Can't help you with the alleyway shop Steve, the  bag incident  sounds like the sort of thing that happened at  The Popular Book Centres, where you returned books and got 50% off your next peurchse.

LONDON 1978 July pic49 POPULAR BOOK CENTRE at Rochester Row 1978 Ed Sijmons - Flashbak

I don't think they dealt in memorabilia though.. Books and comic Exchange used to be in Cambridge Circus area, but may have moved to Glasshouse street by 1989, I know I bought a Yellow Submarine linen backed American film poster in there at around that time.

This wasn't the signing your brother and you attended,as A,D, failed to show and Mark Hamill stepped in...

starw_1980_1007.jpg

Here's a link to FP's archive , you may be able to find that signing date.

https://forbiddenplanet.com/plu/posts/?tag=archive

Clicking on the details takes you to  photos of the event , or stuff like this Cinema ad from 1979, shown at the London performances of Alien.

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

starw_1980_1007.jpg

Cor, that was it. My brother said he spoke to Anthony and told him he'd like to be a Jedi. He was a nice bloke. I can't remember why I didn't go up with him to get something signed too. 

Anyway, Bob, Maurice, you two might like this thread from a while back:

@Gnasher @tv horror

Have a great Christmas if I don't catch you before  (thumbsu

17 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

When I'm on the phone with my mate in Newcastle, I have a hard time with his Geordie accent and he laughs at me and says I talk posh lol .Neither of us reckon we have accents at all of course.Well,I realize I likely say ooot and aboot,but not as thick as my northern Ontario neighbours :sumo:

Aye inits aboot time ye rang is, posh boy :sumo:

4 hours ago, tv horror said:

Yeah, I used to buy from these mail order too back in the day.

My local comic shop was called Timeslip and was pretty great, FP took them over like everywhere else and ruined it :cry:

14 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Cor, that was it. My brother said he spoke to Anthony and told him he'd like to be a Jedi. He was a nice bloke. I can't remember why I didn't go up with him to get something signed too. 

Anyway, Bob, Maurice, you two might like this thread from a while back:

@Gnasher @tv horror

Have a great Christmas if I don't catch you before  (thumbsu

You too, Steve (thumbsu

19 hours ago, tv horror said:

Here's an ad for it Maurice, drawn by Bryan Talbot. Lists the kind of things they sold.

43291915c5dddf2f24b45b5b37c14462.jpg

Edited by Gnasher

3 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Here's an ad for it Maurice, drawn by Bryan Talbot. Lists the kind of things they sold.

43291915c5dddf2f24b45b5b37c14462.jpg

I should have remembered their address Bob as I bought quite a few Horror film magazines and books from them during the day, it always reminded me of a Conan type title. That was around the mid seventies only then you had to describe what you wanted in detail as there were no photos then such as Ebay!(thumbsu First you wrote to them then they wrote back if they had the item and then it was a postal order and your order, actually it was a much better experience than Ebay as there was still a bit of mystery until the item was in hand.:bigsmile: Another place I enjoyed getting stuff from by mail order was Maya Merchandising they never let me down and we ended up being nearly pen pals because of my orders.:bigsmile: 

Edited by tv horror

2 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Issue 1 of the Briitish Fanzine Bemusing (BEM)  Nov 1973...... Page 8,  has  Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Comic Pricing 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ur9N3XKY07yTeOOwHleZ2joEyHfsPpTI/view

Be nice if it was still the case wouldn't it...

1825429854_2020-01-1809_13_27.thumb.png.e03ca0a26c1ba9967ed91f01bd1f149c.png

6 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Be nice if it was still the case wouldn't it...

1825429854_2020-01-1809_13_27.thumb.png.e03ca0a26c1ba9967ed91f01bd1f149c.png

Not 'arf. , Steve. If only we had the foresight back then. 

The sad thing about this, is that I'd sold my boyhood collection about 3 , or 4 years prior to this to a local junk shop, 200-300  comics for 10/-. . I still miss them :cry: