• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A little corner of the UK
2 2

9,411 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Not 'arf. , Steve. If only we had the foresight back then. 

The sad thing about this, is that I'd sold my boyhood collection about 3 , or 4 years prior to this to a local junk shop, 200-300  comics for 10/-. . I still miss them :cry:

We've all done it Bob. I sold a VFN AF15 for under a hundred quid to buy clothes back in the day. I wouldn't mind, but I had the dress sense of Doctor Who meets Worzel Gummidge in a car crash anyway. Still have. There's never really a good time to sell is there. I have another AF15 now. If I sold it, in ten years time I may be saying "I should've kept it". Probably. If every dealer kept every comic on the off chance they'd be worth more in the future, they'd sell nothing and not be a dealer. Except 'Power Pack'. That hasn't done too well. 

Nice to see a reference to poorly distributed DCs. We all forget how important distribution was before the internet age. The concept of 'ND' is more or less irrelevent now. Bring back the age of fairs and catalogues....

On 12/23/2019 at 1:15 PM, Gnasher said:

This one went onto bigger things, better is debatable

Corporate and soulless.

But, the original shop was a fantastic experience back in the 70s. 

On 1/18/2020 at 4:40 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

We've all done it Bob. I sold a VFN AF15 for under a hundred quid to buy clothes back in the day. I wouldn't mind, but I had the dress sense of Doctor Who meets Worzel Gummidge in a car crash anyway. Still have. There's never really a good time to sell is there. I have another AF15 now. If I sold it, in ten years time I may be saying "I should've kept it". Probably. If every dealer kept every comic on the off chance they'd be worth more in the future, they'd sell nothing and not be a dealer. Except 'Power Pack'. That hasn't done too well. 

Nice to see a reference to poorly distributed DCs. We all forget how important distribution was before the internet age. The concept of 'ND' is more or less irrelevent now. Bring back the age of fairs and catalogues....

Fear of regret,mass increase-meaning can't replace it now at that price-is what has kept my hoard mostly complete.

I just parted with a coverless GA gem giphy.gif  but to a very deserving fellow that has a spiffy cover that needs a few wraps.I feel a bit more dead inside,but knowing it's completing a book-a very very tough one to get I'll add-helps.I can't wait to see the finished married product-and helping a fellow collector-well,that's one of my fave things.

Yes,I know.I sold a comic.Very disappointing!But,it's for the greater good!Someone and their lovely will be complete!

2 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

Yes,I know.I sold a comic.Very disappointing!But,it's for the greater good!Someone and their lovely will be complete!

Gotta let em go some time Jim.

11 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Corporate and soulless.

But, the original shop was a fantastic experience back in the 70s. 

I think that's the case for all retail outlets now, Ken. It's pretty much a requirement to survive in a bricks and mortar form. 

Having said that, I haven't bought from them in over 25 years. 

On 1/19/2020 at 8:29 PM, porcupine48 said:

Fear of regret,mass increase-meaning can't replace it now at that price-is what has kept my hoard mostly complete.

I just parted with a coverless GA gem giphy.gif  but to a very deserving fellow that has a spiffy cover that needs a few wraps.I feel a bit more dead inside,but knowing it's completing a book-a very very tough one to get I'll add-helps.I can't wait to see the finished married product-and helping a fellow collector-well,that's one of my fave things.

I've been trying to recollect where this gif came from, is it a W.C. Fields short?

19 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I hope rthere's no Daleks on this 207.......remember that one that got stuck on the stairs last week?

Doctor Who 1967 Photographic Print by Victor Crawshaw at AllPosters.com

QUEUE JUMPERS WILL BE DELETED!