• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A little corner of the UK
2 2

9,411 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Excellent interview conducted by 30th Century Comics .....

Cor, I really enjoyed that Bob, thank you for posting it. What a nice chap Alan is and some very interesting background there on how things used to be. The sort of bloke you could talk to all day I'll bet. Funnily enough I was in 30th Century talking to Will this last Monday. Best 'proper' comic shop in the world really. The last man standing.

Anyway, you know what's coming next Bob don't you...

817345854_2020-02-0209_10_00.png.37da92d32cd46449c7a0b00a3c5e371f.png

clangers.gif.d1401acc5b8f7f37ee24f29fb91e7506.gif.ea2d6c8e7d8d4f2b48a260b986415f10.gif

I hadn't noticed Steve, it's all been rubbish anyway :frown:

As to Mr. Class, a very decent bloke by all acounts. Some nice anecdotes, and as you say, informative on the workings of 1950's  distribution and publishing. Glad you liked it.  (thumbsu

6 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I hadn't noticed Steve, it's all been rubbish anyway :frown:

Nonsense!

It's all been nonsense Bob :grin:

6 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

As to Mr. Class, a very decent bloke by all acounts. Some nice anecdotes, and as you say, informative on the workings of 1950's  distribution and publishing. Glad you liked it.  (thumbsu

I tried to track him down once. I was hoping for a chat about the early days, maybe he would know something about the Millers and their under the radar Marvel variant dabblings. I gave up too easily I think. Maybe I'll try again, see if 30th Century have a contact for him. Hoping he's still going strong. 

P.S. my kind of nonsense, your stuff :headbang:

16 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I tried to track him down once. I was hoping for a chat about the early days, maybe he would know something about the Millers and their under the radar Marvel variant dabblings. I gave up too easily I think. Maybe I'll try again, see if 30th Century have a contact for him. Hoping he's still going strong. 

P.S. my kind of nonsense, your stuff :headbang:

I think 30th Century is the best course to take, Steve, as they are closely associated with him, go for it' (thumbsu

Here's an online interview with him that mentions Syndicated Features Agency which offered him licencing on Marvel. at the end of the 50's, but I think that would be a different deal to Miller.

http://hoopercomicart.blogspot.com/2016/03/interview-with-alan-class-updated.html

9 hours ago, Gnasher said:

I quite like this link, because, I grew up in Welling from 1964   and remember this Police Box/Tardis ... this dates before my time, and the box was gone by the end of the 60's...

http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=3822.0

Lots of box shots :ph34r:

One of the first annuals I can remember as a boy was The Buffalo Bill Wild West Annual Annual, dated 1951, which I got at a jumble sale when I was 4.  Among the illustrations, was this one, pf Geronimo leading a raiding party......

a666518e62d1f2f2d75b5bc4445979cd.jpg

14 years later, the annual has been re-donated, I buy John Lennon's Walls and Bridges, which includes this , as part of the album cover...:bigsmile:

4c4067a208a2d5a57d869be999eaf881.jpg

A John Lennon  aged 11 swipe.

Cool link, I will check some of these out later in the year on my travels.

Not worth going to the 2 comic shops in Newcastle unless you want this months comics 

There is a small unit not mentioned inside the Grainger market, what sell back issues but for us thats about it.

I miss the good old days :(

5 minutes ago, Kevin.J said:

Cool link, I will check some of these out later in the year on my travels.

Not worth going to the 2 comic shops in Newcastle unless you want this months comics 

There is a small unit not mentioned inside the Grainger market, what sell back issues but for us thats about it.

I miss the good old days :(

#metoo

3 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

#metoo

Hey bro, do you have a link to your Charlton thread or a list of what scans you still need.

I have just uncovered my Charlton stuff after some years and may scan a few, cant promise I have any but you never know :wink:

6 minutes ago, Kevin.J said:

Hey bro, do you have a link to your Charlton thread or a list of what scans you still need.

I have just uncovered my Charlton stuff after some years and may scan a few, cant promise I have any but you never know :wink:

Alrighty!

Here's the current confirmed pence list Kevin - if you've got any of the 350 or so missing copies I'd love to see them :headbang:

13 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Alrighty!

Here's the current confirmed pence list Kevin - if you've got any of the 350 or so missing copies I'd love to see them :headbang:

Cheers, a lot of comics there, I certainly have a lot of those listed, not sure whether Pence or cents, I will be disappointed not to have at least one Pence off that list.

Either way, been dying to see my stuff for years and reading through your (Great) thread as it happened has made me all the more excited.

I always loved Charltons even though they were very tough to get around these parts, dont expect much romance stuff lol where I am from someone would have chinned me if they saw girls comics :insane: 

2 minutes ago, Kevin.J said:

Cheers, a lot of comics there, I certainly have a lot of those listed, not sure whether Pence or cents, I will be disappointed not to have at least one Pence off that list.

:wishluck:

Either way, been dying to see my stuff for years and reading through your (Great) thread as it happened has made me all the more excited.

:blush:

I always loved Charltons even though they were very tough to get around these parts, dont expect much romance stuff lol where I am from someone would have chinned me if they saw girls comics :insane: 

You have a woman's comic! I'll wager that comic has never felt the lash of rusty steel in mortal combat!*

Charlton's from this period are just fantastic I think Kevin. They tailed off in quality as time went on but shone so brightly in that early pence period. Lovely covers in there. Good luck in the search. I'm envious. 

*Black Adder reference in case you thought I'd lost it :)