• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official PEDIGREE BOOK thread! Updates and comments here
9 9

419 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, EC ed said:

What we need is someone who (A) is passionate about comic books; (B) has experience doing research; (C) has experience publishing books; (D) has a day job that provides a lot of flexibility; and (E) lives in a town where one of the major pedigrees was discovered.

hm

There was a pedigree found in @rob_react's town?

22 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I'm from Boston, but I'll actually just submit White Mountain since it's a couple of hours away and the books just walked into million year picnic :sumo:

1 minute ago, rob_react said:
28 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I'm from Boston, but I'll actually just submit White Mountain since it's a couple of hours away and the books just walked into million year picnic :sumo:

Sounds like we have an author!  When can I place my Amazon pre-order?

I thought the San Francisco pedigree ended in late '45 or possibly early '46. Are there other books out there slabbed as SF's from '47 or later? This book has the Gilboy coding on the front cover, but not every Gilboy book is a a San Francisco copy.

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FDEFAULT.ASP%3FFocused%3D1%26pg%3D21%23Item_1252488&id=1252488&itemType=0#detail

23 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

I thought the San Francisco pedigree ended in late '45 or possibly early '46. Are there other books out there slabbed as SF's from '47 or later? This book has the Gilboy coding on the front cover, but not every Gilboy book is a a San Francisco copy.

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FDEFAULT.ASP%3FFocused%3D1%26pg%3D21%23Item_1252488&id=1252488&itemType=0#detail

If you buy the usual story behind the collection, it's not clear why it should contain any books published after 1945.  But, then, as has been discussed in several threads, there are holes in the usual story that may never be filled. 

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I would say a mistake on CGC's part. I have never heard of a SF book this late. I have a great deal of CGC's ability to be able to accurately determine peds any more. I used to trust West and several of the old graders ability to accurately determine peds. Not so much any more.

Maybe CGC contacted Bob and he said it was a San Fran copy 

20 hours ago, batman_fan said:
22 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I would say a mistake on CGC's part. I have never heard of a SF book this late. I have a great deal of CGC's ability to be able to accurately determine peds any more. I used to trust West and several of the old graders ability to accurately determine peds. Not so much any more.

Maybe CGC contacted Bob and he said it was a San Fran copy

:baiting:

On 5/9/2018 at 9:24 AM, batman_fan said:

The most critical part of writing a book is to finish it. Everything else is secondary. Watching this book over the years, it appears they kept expanding what they wanted to include and ultimately never finished it. 

+1 

Totally agree with you here.  (thumbsu

I think they should just go back to their original premise and stick with the history of the various pedigrees and the back story\ies behind them since that from my point of view, is the most interesting part of the pedigree story.  Similar in vein to the CBM issue published back in the day that was dedicated to some of the GA pedigrees, as these are the types of background stories that remain timeless and relevant to the collecting base.  I can certainly read these over and over again and it never fails to score high on the enjoyment scale for me.  :luhv:

I really think they should get away from trying to link it to all of the CGC stats because that is constantly changing over time and it basically makes it a much more dated publication.  Much more better to have it as a seminal one-time publication similar in vein to the historic Gerber Photojournals.  hm  :cloud9:

13 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

+1 

I think they should just go back to their original premise and stick with the history of the various pedigrees and the back story\ies behind them since that from my point of view, is the most interesting part of the pedigree story.  Similar in vein to the CBM issue published back in the day that was dedicated to some of the GA pedigrees, as these are the types of background stories that remain timeless and relevant to the collecting base.  I can certainly read these over and over again and it never fails to score high on the enjoyment scale for me.  :luhv:

I really think they should get away from trying to link it to all of the CGC stats because that is constantly changing over time and it basically makes it a much more dated publication.  Much more better to have it as a seminal one-time publication similar in vein to the historic Gerber Photojournals.  hm  :cloud9:

Mic drop, spot on. Better to have a thinner book with the key information than no book but lots of great plans. 

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

+1 

Ritter was VERY much into linking the pedigrees with the cgc census. Unfortunately with all the upgrading that takes place daily it's not feasible to write a one-time book about that aspect. Ritter was trying to show which pedigrees were better in different areas. If the data was stagnant it would have been a truly invaluable resource, but the data changes far too frequently. Ritter now knows this so I think he's just not sure how to go about it, as these pedigree comparisons were a large part of the book... at least from what I remember.