• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official PEDIGREE BOOK thread! Updates and comments here
9 9

419 posts in this topic

Maybe what they need is not another cook in the kitchen, but somebody to serve it all up and produce the book.

I worked with an author who took 4 years to finally make a decision and approve the final and go to press. I am available by the way ;)

Would I be out of line if I were to post the Windy City entry here? I think you guys would enjoy it, but I don't want to do anything to jeopardize the book (if it actually is published some day).

Would I be out of line if I were to post the Windy City entry here? I think you guys would enjoy it, but I don't want to do anything to jeopardize the book (if it actually is published some day).

I would love to see it. It's only one of, what, 20 or more entries? So I don't think posting it would damage the book's prospects.

You should really check with Steve first.

If the chapter is done and ready for print maybe it could be added to pedigree site as a new sample chapter? Keep us going for another decade or so.

The way I see it, Matt Nelson is probably making too much money in his current position to be motivated to work on a book that is clearly a niche product that might not sell enough copies to turn a profit. I'd like to see it published, but I'm not holding my breath.

The way I see it, Matt Nelson is probably making too much money in his current position to be motivated to work on a book that is clearly a niche product that might not sell enough copies to turn a profit. I'd like to see it published, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm sure that Matt is busy in his present capacity as head grader at CGC, but I don't believe he's completely shelved this project. I do think he's planning on putting this out someday when he can draw all the information together and get it edited properly for publication, but it will happen when it happens.

I will say this though. Of all books analyzing comics from a historical perspective, this would be the most relevent to collectors. It would provide a new emphasis on pedigrees by putting a face to them, and the market potential would be boundless. Of course this has been done in part on the pedigree website, but a full blown mass market book is sorely needed.

On the glass half full side of the publication delays, as a historical reference I don't see Matt's book as being time sensitive. If and when this work comes out the collecting community will still be there for it, complaints of delays notwithstanding. 2c

I'm sure that Matt is busy in his present capacity as head grader at the CGC, but I don't believe he's completely shelved this project. I do think he's planning on putting this out someday when he can draw all the information together and get it edited properly for publication, but it will happen when it happens.

This probably means NEVER then.

According to a message I had from Timely last year, the book is pretty well dead as nobody really has any time to work on it anymore.

Nor sure if this status has changed since then, but I certainly wouldn't be willing to bet even a dollar on this.

I'm sure that Matt is busy in his present capacity as head grader at the CGC, but I don't believe he's completely shelved this project. I do think he's planning on putting this out someday when he can draw all the information together and get it edited properly for publication, but it will happen when it happens.

According to a message I had from Timely last year, the book is pretty well dead as nobody really has any time to work on it anymore.

Nor sure if this status has changed since then, but I certainly wouldn't be willing to bet even a dollar on this.

I'm surprised no one has attempted to buy out Steve and Matt's completed work and interests in the book..... and then finishing it. It may not be a huge profit engine, but it could be quite the feather in the cap. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

If this book were to ever come out it would go down in fandom as one of the most important pieces in our hobby along with the Overstreet guide and Gerber's Photo Journals. It would be a real labor of love and not, as has been mentioned here earlier, a money maker. I really wonder how much Ernie profited from the sales of the Photo Journals in his life time?

I can understand the huge amount of work involved for this. The authors of this book obviously have real lives and jobs needed to pay their bills. It is no surprise it has taken so long.

I sure hope it comes to fruition at some point. It would be awesome to read!

Gary, check with Matt and see if they can change out the Allentown chapter to the completed Windy City one. I suspect they would rather not though because of the excitement it would generate in a work they are so obviously quite a way from finishing.

I'm surprised no one has attempted to buy out Steve and Matt's completed work and interests in the book..... and then finishing it. It may not be a huge profit engine, but it could be quite the feather in the cap. GOD BLESS....

That's a cool idea Jim but shouldn't maybe CGC consider the profit engine of slabs with pedigrees and future discoveries that could be added as editions or even just the web site as pages that could be printed and put into the binder. That and like somebody else suggested this is an important peice of history for comics and a great chance for CGC to put its brand on something that it has really had a hand in validating. But what do I know,

If this book were to ever come out it would go down in fandom as one of the most important pieces in our hobby along with the Overstreet guide and Gerber's Photo Journals. It would be a real labor of love and not, as has been mentioned here earlier, a money maker. I really wonder how much Ernie profited from the sales of the Photo Journals in his life time?

I can understand the huge amount of work involved for this. The authors of this book obviously have real lives and jobs needed to pay their bills. It is no surprise it has taken so long.

I sure hope it comes to fruition at some point. It would be awesome to read!

Gary, check with Matt and see if they can change out the Allentown chapter to the completed Windy City one. I suspect they would rather not though because of the excitement it would generate in a work they are so obviously quite a way from finishing.

The reality however is how many copies would really sell if it came out? But if it's continually updated like an Overstreet guide it remains relevant and could fuel long term sales. But no ones gonna get rich overnight, it's a labor of love.

That's a cool idea Jim but shouldn't maybe CGC consider the profit engine of slabs with pedigrees and future discoveries that could be added as editions or even just the web site as pages that could be printed and put into the binder. That and like somebody else suggested this is an important peice of history for comics and a great chance for CGC to put its brand on something that it has really had a hand in validating. But what do I know,

:idea:

...... good thinking there, Bob...... but then, I've come to expect that from you :foryou: ...If CGC kept it "in house" Matt could still lend some oversight as well. At this point, if I were Matt and Steve, I would have to consider what is best for the hobby in regards to the book..... pass the baton and let it come to light 2c GOD BLESS....

:gossip: ...it doesn't have to be cheap, either....... signed and numbered with a leather binding @ $ 300 a set ? ...........I'd likely bite.

Edited by jimjum12

I co-authored two technical books that had limited distribution in the thousands. Publisher made decent money because they charged $200 retail per copy initially and it got picked up by some universities. My total take was less than $5k although I still get royalty checks. I figure I would have done better getting a paper route given the time spent on the book.

Is there a list, definitive or other wise of what books are supposedly in each Pedigree?

Have the Church, D Copy, and other codes been broken?

Instead of a book I would think this would be a perfect website project. Full of chapter stories, lists, and pictures, I guess that's what they are doing in looking at the Allentown chapter but sheesh, don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good (and updateable).

Ed

Is there a list, definitive or other wise of what books are supposedly in each Pedigree?

Instead of a book I would think this would be a perfect website project. Full of chapter stories, lists, and pictures, I guess that's what they are doing in looking at the Allentown chapter but sheesh, don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good (and updateable).

Ed

The website project has been ongoing for many years. There's an abundance of data on the site, but it's still incomplete. For this to reach fruition and really have an impact, it needs to be published in book form with expanded stories about the collectors. This should be an epic, historic work. My personal feeling is that the power and poignancy of the stories surrounding these collections would greatly benefit the hobby. Done properly, it would focus attention on both the collections and pioneer collectors whose legacies have been passed on to the rest of us.

This statement caught my eye from the sample Allentown chapter (written, of course, nearly 10 years ago): "Captain America #1 found its way to CGC several years ago, and landed a 9.6 grade. It subsequently sold for $265,000, which is still to this day the highest price paid for a comic book."

Also this: "In fact, many believe that the Allentown Detective #27 and the Mile High Action #1 are the only two comics capable of breaking the million dollar mark today."

Edited by Sqeggs

Ed

The website project has been ongoing for many years. There's an abundance of data on the site, but it's still incomplete. For this to reach fruition and really have an impact, it needs to be published in book form with expanded stories about the collectors. This should be an epic, historic work. My personal feeling is that the power and poignancy of the stories surrounding these collections would greatly benefit the hobby. Done properly, it would focus attention on both the collections and pioneer collectors whose legacies have been passed on to the rest of us.

:luhv: