• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYCC '10 - It's Never Too Early!

855 posts in this topic

It was definitely crowded but not close to sdcc sat crowded

Here is the first part of Chuck's email

Howdy!

A very quick newsletter today, as Ashley and I need to be at the New York Comic-Con in half an hour. I have to admit that I have been shocked at how quickly this convention has grown to be the largest comics event in America. I knew that Reed Expositions brought a lot of experience to the table when they first began this show five year ago, but I never dreamed that they would grow a new convention to such a size in such a short period of time. The conventional wisdom is that they sold 125,000 weekend tickets, which now puts them ahead of San Diego in terms of attendance. They could have sold many, many more tickets, but the fire marshals had them turning away many thousands of people yesterday morning. Amazing!

Total wildly_fanciful_statement concerning the numbers or sound about right?

I think they are. Rick, you know I usually walk around during the show just to say whats up and chit chat, but I could not get a break from the booth Saturday and Sunday. The Artist and autograph area was wall to wall people and looking at that I wouldn't argue. However, I dont know how busy your room was or the Anime thing downstairs was. I would say that number of 125,000 did include the Anime show though,

Jeff

Howdy!

A very quick newsletter today, as Ashley and I need to be at the New York Comic-Con in half an hour. I have to admit that I have been shocked at how quickly this convention has grown to be the largest comics event in America. I knew that Reed Expositions brought a lot of experience to the table when they first began this show five year ago, but I never dreamed that they would grow a new convention to such a size in such a short period of time. The conventional wisdom is that they sold 125,000 weekend tickets, which now puts them ahead of San Diego in terms of attendance. They could have sold many, many more tickets, but the fire marshals had them turning away many thousands of people yesterday morning. Amazing!

Hi Capt.

Not sure where your number came from maybe I can help. My guys are telling me 95,000 for the weekend. We will know more once the retailers report back.

I don't think that physically the Javitts can hold as much as the San Diego Convention Center, so even if the former seemed more crowded,

the sheer size of the later can hold far more people even if it seems less crowded.

Howdy!

Hi Capt.

Not sure where your number came from maybe I can help. My guys are telling me 95,000 for the weekend. We will know more once the retailers report back.

He's quoting one of Mile High Chuck R's e-newsletters.

having set up at every sdcc since 2003, and having set up at the last 3 javits shows, no doubt this one was MUCH busier than the previous 2...but there is no way there were 95K or 125K number through the main building on Saturday...it is logistically not feasible given the size, etc (at least to my semi experienced eye)

now, I can't comment on how many tix were sold, I can't comment on the anime below and the AA in a separate hall/etc...but the main comic hall could not accomodate that many folks, when the SDCC center can't accomodate 125K folks through the door in one day...and while this show was extremely busy, at no point did I have "difficulty" moving through the crowd, like you do at sdcc...

that said, attendance was HUGE, by all relative comparisons

I know many people who bought weekend tickets and didn't show up on Saturday, and that includes myself. (LSAT and then all I wanted was a hug from my mommy xD) But I would think the number has to include all the professional/press/etc passes as well, you know? They definitely sold *above* capacity to make up for the fact that so many people did end up not showing for whatever reason.

Not only that, but there is literally NO WAY to distinguish between the "anime" ttickets and the "comic tickets," since they were both dual access.

Interestingly enough, my friend Lauren who only came on Saturday, and is into Anime, said she enjoyed the Comiccon side of it much more than the animu side. :P

I would assume that the attendence numbers being thrown around included the amount of people in the entire convention center. Top, bottom, main room, artist alley room, anime hall, and the bathrooms as well. I was not in the main room during the day Saturday or Sunday. I just assumed it was crowded like artist alley and autographing which was wall-to-wall-elbow-to-elbow packed.