• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYCC '10 - It's Never Too Early!

855 posts in this topic

AS a dealer I have already paid for my spot in '10. The show was great and I had great time there.

So about the tired old National show....when is that and is that the same things as Apple Con?

Both the Big Apple and The National were/are Mike Carbanaro/Neat Stuff run cons. The BA is/was the regular 2 day event, adding a third day to get The National. The BA used to set up at a church around 60th Street, then moved to the Penn Pavilion. I recall The National being downtown - 18th Street? - for a couple years as well. At its peak there were 4-6 BA shows a year and The National in Nov. usually. Not sure what is happening with any or all of these shows going forward.

:hi: Jed! If I'da known you were a comic collector when we were going to law school together, we could've gone to some of those church shows together back in the day!

I remember one year taking my son in his little umbrella stroller and giving him a fistful of Chupa Chups to keep him happy. When we got done with McDonalds for lunch down the street he cried when I told him we were going back!

This year is gonna be the last National show. But i expect just as good, if not better, shows from them earlier in the year. There two-day show in June is pretty good. All the top dealers from around the country set up at their shows. So while the aisles might be a little narrow, there is still the best of the best that set up at the Big Apple shows.

Jeff

I like the National and Big Apple shows, they always get a lot of the old-time artist and writers there. Since NYCC is moving to October next year, the National show will cease in November of this year. Two shows that close to each other would usually end with the smaller show losing money and guests. Who knows, they might put the National show in February next year in NYCC's old time slot.... :wishluck:

According to the Javits website, these would be the hotels closest to the con:

http://www.javitscenter.com/directory/results.asp?iCt=3

However, the good thing about NYC is that it has great public transit, so you could probably stay anywhere (within reason) in NYC and still get there a-ok. I would shy away from rooms in Times Square, since you know...it's so bright/noisy. I would also wait to book a room until NYCC announces its hotel rates for the con. :)

According to the Javits website, these would be the hotels closest to the con:

http://www.javitscenter.com/directory/results.asp?iCt=3

However, the good thing about NYC is that it has great public transit, so you could probably stay anywhere (within reason) in NYC and still get there a-ok. I would shy away from rooms in Times Square, since you know...it's so bright/noisy. I would also wait to book a room until NYCC announces its hotel rates for the con. :)

There is a free shuttle to & from the Javits, it was on 7th Ave (or 8th not sure) between 56-57th st. so you can stay pretty much anywhere around there and there are tons of hotels. We stayed at the Park Central (Expedia was cheaper than the Con rate) and it was walking distance from everywhere we wanted to go.