• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lets See Those Funny Animal Books!
2 2

1,994 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

A fun and cheap one hit the mailbox yesterday.I'm a huge Felix fan plus my favorite era for Dell is the 1946-1947 era. I really like the matte covers of these 52 page issues. I also collect camera covers. A perfect storm...

That's funny - I was just looking at some of my "circle" Dell Bugs Bunny Four Colors the other day (like Frozen Kingdom and Haunted Mountains) and trying to decide if I liked the dull finish vs. the glossier covers. I guess I'm not the only one who ponders the minutia of things like that!   :foryou:

16 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I also think this was the peak of Dell’s quality. Seems like s lot of the best covers and stories in this era. And, yeah, for some reason I really like the fat issues with the matte covers!

Without a doubt some great stuff - great early Barks on Donald; Walt Kelly all over the place on titles like Pogo, Fairy Tale Parade and Santa Claus Funnies;  strong western efforts like Lone Ranger and Roy Rogers before they got their own titles; and so many other cool funny books featuring the likes of Bugs, Oswald, Tillie, Popeye and Mickey. And that great Brer Rabbit offering as well.  :cloud9:

9 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Yep, books I would not generally buy or read I pick up now. That round Dell logo is the teling mark. That Bugs FC #142 is a perfect example. How could not one want to read that one. Here are a few others that just grabbed my attention when I ran across them.

combugsbunnyfc123.jpg

comporkypigfc156.jpg

Those are two of my long-time favorites! All of the early Bugs are epic adventures and the Porky covers from that era are just so cartooney-perfect!!! :applause:

On 5/18/2019 at 12:12 AM, PopKulture said:

Those are two of my long-time favorites! All of the early Bugs are epic adventures and the Porky covers from that era are just so cartooney-perfect!!! :applause:

...I second that! :headbang:

Man, Four Color has got to be the coolest run ever. Sure, Detective or Action is worth more. Planet gives you all those great covers. I would likely take a complete run of Marvel Mystery over any of them, but darn... There is just SO much variety and depth throughout the entirety of the Four Color run - all the great cartoon classics and syndicated characters on the front end, and the all wonderful TV and movie tie-ins later on. It's a treasure chest overview of American pop culture. Moon Mullins, Tom Corbett, Mickey Mouse, Roy Rogers, Donald Duck, 77 Sunset Strip, Bugs Bunny, Mother Goose, Flash Gordon, Peanuts, Felix the Cat, Bullwinkle, D_ck Tracy, Frosty the Snowman, Little Orphan Annie, the Twilight Zone, Snow White, Rickey Nelson, Popeye, the Three Stooges, Raggedy Ann, Mister Magoo, and literally hundreds more!!!  :cloud9:

Edited by PopKulture

Hello fellow funny animal fanatics! I have been working on this Felix the Cat article, trying to track down his earliest appearances. CGC does not have an official "first appearance" notation so I decieded to dive deep. If you have a second, let me know what you think and if you have anything to add. Thanks

https://infinitehorror.wordpress.com/felix-the-cat/

1167968.jpg

On 5/19/2019 at 4:08 PM, PopKulture said:

Man, Four Color has got to be the coolest run ever. Sure, Detective or Action is worth more. Planet gives you all those great covers. I would likely take a complete run of Marvel Mystery over any of them, but darn... There is just SO much variety and depth throughout the entirety of the Four Color run - all the great cartoon classics and syndicated characters on the front end, and the all wonderful TV and movie tie-ins later on. It's a treasure chest overview of American pop culture. Moon Mullins, Tom Corbett, Mickey Mouse, Roy Rogers, Donald Duck, 77 Sunset Strip, Bugs Bunny, Mother Goose, Flash Gordon, Peanuts, Felix the Cat, Bullwinkle, D_ck Tracy, Frosty the Snowman, Little Orphan Annie, the Twilight Zone, Snow White, Rickey Nelson, Popeye, the Three Stooges, Raggedy Ann, Mister Magoo, and literally hundreds more!!!  :cloud9:

No really boring run; nothing of interest for anyone there!! Seriously, I've been collecting Dells since the seventies and it is one of the most under-appreciated and awesome group of books you can find! And so few people collect them you can pick up some real gems for some great prices.