• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lets See Those Funny Animal Books!
2 2

1,994 posts in this topic

42 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

Been a long time for this thread...

coocoo57.jpg

Very cool.  Not sure exactly why I like it, but I do.

57 minutes ago, adamstrange said:
1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:

Been a long time for this thread...

coocoo57.jpg

Very cool.  Not sure exactly why I like it, but I do.

I like it, too, but you wonder what the artist was thinking:  "You know, let's have Coo Coo paint the green roof of a cuckoo-clock red and let's have the clock just hang in mid-air."  Somehow the goofy exuberance of it carries the day.

On 1/26/2017 at 8:08 PM, MrBedrock said:

I don't think many animators worked for Nedor (or Pines). Certainly the big companies had some great creators and some brilliant material came from that. But this particular publisher was lacking in quality creators early on and it shows through in the product. By the end of the war Nedor's humor comics were much better, though still not anywhere near as enjoyable as the topline titles.

They are full of animators I recognize, a lot of Fleischer/Famous and Terrytoons animators. Jim Tyer, Ray Patin, Lynn karp, Jack Bradbury, Dan Gordon, Dave Tendlar, Manny Perez, Gil Turner, there;s a million of them. Goofy, Coo Coo, Banyard and Happy are full of them from the very first issues. Fleischer studios was right down the street from Nedor's offices and all the animation studios and comic publisher offices were all pretty close together in New York so lots of New York animators made some extra money doing funny animal and humor comics on the side. Most are unsigned or under some made up name, probably cause they did so much for multiple publishers at the same time and to hide it from the animation studios they worked for. I know Jim Tyer did, he was doing funny animal stuff at nedor, fawcett, Timely, ACG, Fox, all at the same time all through out the 40s and 50s. Ellis Chambers was another guy that did an insane amount of stuff for everyone, he created Cosmo Cat and did tons of Fox comics and pretty much every other publisher. His style varies widely, depending on if he was whacked out on heroin or smoking pot at the time. He taught L.B. Cole how to draw in that comic animation cartoony style. Most funny animal covers credited to Cole were really only inked by him, Ellis Chambers drew them.

On 2/27/2009 at 6:33 PM, selegue said:

Toy Town 1 with a hyperkinetic L. B. Cole cover

ToyTown01a.jpg

and the splash page of the bizarre, full-length (anti-)morality tale inside. The interior looks to me like Cole at the beginning and Many Hands taking over. Highly recommended.

ToyTown1p1.jpg

The cover was drawn by Ellis Chambers and inked by LB Cole I am sure. The entire insides are by Ellis Chambers, who would do these entire issue stories over a weekend while doing speed and pot. His style varies widely, even within the same story, probably depending on what drug he was on at the time. His stuff can be really clean and neat, like lots of his Cosmo Cat stuff and then sometimes totally insane in stuff like these early Toy Towns or Hi-Ho issues

Edited by catman76

On 2017-06-27 at 4:25 AM, catman76 said:

They are full of animators I recognize, a lot of Fleischer/Famous and Terrytoons animators. Jim Tyer, Ray Patin, Lynn karp, Jack Bradbury, Dan Gordon, Dave Tendlar, Manny Perez, Gil Turner, there;s a million of them. Goofy, Coo Coo, Banyard and Happy are full of them from the very first issues. Fleischer studios was right down the street from Nedor's offices and all the animation studios and comic publisher offices were all pretty close together in New York so lots of New York animators made some extra money doing funny animal and humor comics on the side. Most are unsigned or under some made up name, probably cause they did so much for multiple publishers at the same time and to hide it from the animation studios they worked for. I know Jim Tyer did, he was doing funny animal stuff at nedor, fawcett, Timely, ACG, Fox, all at the same time all through out the 40s and 50s. Ellis Chambers was another guy that did an insane amount of stuff for everyone, he created Cosmo Cat and did tons of Fox comics and pretty much every other publisher. His style varies widely, depending on if he was whacked out on heroin or smoking pot at the time. He taught L.B. Cole how to draw in that comic animation cartoony style. Most funny animal covers credited to Cole were really only inked by him, Ellis Chambers drew them.

Tyer, Gordon, Bradbury and the others... well, that's the pantheon right there, isn't it? 

Thanks for a great post on the amazing artists and sublime cartooning to be found in these books. 

There are a lot of blogs out there where you can find this stuff.  Here's a few links if anyone's interested:

John K on Tyer

Coo Coo for Bradbury

Cartoon Snap: Ellis Chambers