• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lets See Those Funny Animal Books!
2 2

1,994 posts in this topic

I guess here is the best place for this book.

Punch & Judy v.1 # 5 - Fun early-ish Hillman book. Their one and only entry into the kids genre. Started picking them once I heard about the Starry Eyes series from a JVB article in Alter Ego IIRC. The art by Calpini is so distinct and somehow contemporary to what is produced today (esp. Pinkie) that it's almost out of time. You see Starry Eyes, Pinkie Pony and Bucky Mule. This is a couple of years before Kirby did some back-up features in the title.

Cover - Starry Eyes and crew look out of place in their reaction ...

2031718253_PunchandJudyv1-5.jpg.bdd882878ef83021d03a47773733928a.jpg

.. but that's because they are taken out of the context of their splash page! Seen here with better effect. Halloweeny (note the witch in the background), perfect for this time of year -

1121624213_PunchandJudyv1-5-StarryEyesSplash.jpg.9a978408e5f0cde3e8f656d9c0e4e25a.jpg

Edited by Scrooge

59 minutes ago, Scrooge said:

I guess here is the best place for this book.

Punch & Judy v.1 # 5 - Fun early-ish Hillman book. Their one and only entry into the kids genre. Started picking them once I heard about the Starry Eyes series from a JVB article in Alter Ego IIRC. The art by Calpini is so distinct and somehow contemporary to what is produced today (esp. Pinkie) that it's almost out of time. You see Starry Eyes, Pinkie Pony and Bucky Mule. This is a couple of years before Kirby did some back-up features in the title.

I had browsed through that series and enjoyed Orestes Calpini‘s art, whom I wasn’t familiar with before. This page he drew from Punch and Judy Comics #v2#5 (December, 1946) stuck out to me in particular:

kIazrMV.jpg

On 11/17/2020 at 8:21 PM, Jayman said:

Just in today! Been hunting for a nice Tick Tock Tales 23 after seeing a copy posted here a long time ago (by Robotman I think). Wanted issue 23 as opposed to 27 which is the same but slightly altered From the original. It’s the perfect blend of horror/funny animal that fits right in my collection! 

Tick Tock Tales # 23.JPG

Nice! Don't recall having seen a copy before.