• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lets See Those Funny Animal Books!
2 2

1,994 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Hepcat said:

Here are a couple scans of a rarely seen title that I may not have posted in this thread previously:

22-05-201130615PM.jpg

22-05-201130608PM.jpg

:)

I'm curious what the page quality is on those books. The old Charltons I used to find in the wild as a kid were clearly printed on substandard paper and always seemed sort of cheap by comparison to Gold Key and Dell. Old Dells can often be found with nice white paper but if Charltons of this vintage were aging in the 1970's I'm curious how they have held up fifty years later.

On 12/9/2019 at 5:47 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I'm curious what the page quality is on those books. The old Charltons I used to find in the wild as a kid were clearly printed on substandard paper and always seemed sort of cheap by comparison to Gold Key and Dell. Old Dells can often be found with nice white paper but if Charltons of this vintage were aging in the 1970's I'm curious how they have held up fifty years later.

Yes, most Charltons were indeed printed on substandard paper which has a distinct tendency to tone with age.

But when I checked the interior pages today of my two Atom the Cat issues which are from 1958-59, I was very pleasantly surprised. No dust shadows and they're off-white to white!

:smile:

Edited by Hepcat

13 hours ago, Hepcat said:

Yes, most Charltons were indeed printed on substandard paper which has a distinct tendency to tone with age.

But when I checked the interior pages today of my two Atom the Cat issues which are from 1958-59, I was very pleasantly surprised. No dust shadows and they're off-white to white!

:smile:

That's some good preservation; Ernie Gerber claimed in his photo journals that bagging would extend the lives of these books for many many years. Can you post some pictures of the interiors? Not a comic you see every day.

5 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

That's some good preservation; Ernie Gerber claimed in his photo journals that bagging would extend the lives of these books for many many years. Can you post some pictures of the interiors? Not a comic you see every day.

Groan. Maybe some day. I really have to be in the mood to mess with my camera and uploading from the camera to Photobucket which over time has become quite the chore.