• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where are the Nine MPWF #1 copies Today?
5 5

235 posts in this topic

I miss O'Leary's horribly, one of the two best comic shops I've ever been to.

Got my first true GA book there (Fawcett's Funny Animals #10), one of the only issues of All-Star I've ever had (All-Star #20, sadly sold on now), my first precode Super-Hero books (a handful of beat up Marvel Family books), my first issue of Scribbly (#9, $9); the first Platinum age book I've ever had (The Funnies #13). And that's just the Precode stuff that comes quickly to mind...

First pre-Adv 300 Legion appearance I ever got (Action #287). First Steranko art I ever saw (X-Men #50). First Neal Adams art I ever saw (GL/ GA #87). Got my GL/ GA #76 there, as well. I want to say I paid $14 for it at the time, the most expensive book I had ever bought up until then. One year for my birthday, my parents got me the GL/GA #85 they had in the case up front; signed by Neal Adams and Gil Kane both. (I got Denny O'Neil to add his signature to it a couple years ago, finally.)

Pogo Books. Sugar & Spike. Bantam Doc Savages. Dell Looney Tunes. An issue of Goofy Comics with Frazetta text illos. For Legion fans, That Damned Tabloid. Half a dozen Harlan Ellison 1st editions as a lot for 75c each, as I recall. Always something good there, even when my budget was next to nil. It was only a couple miles from my high school, so sometimes I went without lunch and went there instead.

I miss O'Leary's horribly. And I'm far, far from the only person in the area who does.

Yeah I bet. I only saw them once or twice when they did cons up here in BC and I still remember really liking them. Guys like you that had them close by must have really enjoyed it.

I remember them being at San Diego con many years ago. While I was standing there, Ron pulled out a box of original owner mint in mailer radio premiums from the 1940's-1950's. I was stacking them up until another guy showed up and the frenzy began. An incredible load at great prices. We bought the whole load within 10 minutes.

On 10/21/2009 at 2:15 PM, VintageComics said:

Gang, I'm a big believer in enjoying more than just the cover of an old book so thought I'd post the interior pics that I have taken of my MPFW #1.

Enjoy!

MPFW1interiorshots002.jpg

MPFW1_1.jpg

MPFW1_2.jpg

MPFW1_3.jpg

MPFW1_4.jpg

MPFW1_5.jpg

MPFW1_6.jpg

MPFW1_7.jpg

MPFW1_8.jpg

th_MPFW1_8panel.jpg th_MPFW1_8-9.jpg th_MPFW1_28-29.jpg th_MPFW1_10-11.jpg th_MPFW1_12-13.jpg th_MPFW1_14-15.jpg th_MPFW1_16-17.jpg th_MPFW1_18-19.jpg th_MPFW1_20-21.jpg th_MPFW1_22-23.jpg th_MPFW1_24-25.jpg th_MPFW1_26-27.jpg th_MPFW1_28-29.jpg th_MPFW1_30-31.jpg th_MPFW1_32.jpg

Almost 10 years since you posted this Roy.  How many times has the book changed hands?  Or do you still have it?  Regardless, thanks for posting the pics.

2 hours ago, Knightsofold said:

Almost 10 years since you posted this Roy.  How many times has the book changed hands?  Or do you still have it?  Regardless, thanks for posting the pics.

Thx for reposting   So cool ! 

Edited by Chicago Boy

On 2/18/2019 at 11:42 AM, Knightsofold said:

Book is still with the person I sold it to as far as I know and I have first shot if he decides to sell.

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2009 at 8:52 PM, action1kid said:

hey Mark. I sold my copy in 2000. It was a raw v.f-. I bought it from John [book sail] McLaughlin at the San diego Con in 94

I saw that book in the back corner of the room!!! In fact, I bought a Spidey 2 from the guy because I didn't have (as I recall) the $7500 that he wanted for the MPFW. I KNEW someone would buy it!!