• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where are the Nine MPWF #1 copies Today?
5 5

235 posts in this topic

As some of you know, I picked up one of my "grail" books in the current Heritage signature auction: Motion Picture Funnies Weekly #1 (First Funnies, Inc., 1939) CGC 5.5

MPFW.jpg

The history of this book is significant. As Heritage has written:

Its significance and uniqueness make it so. And the reason it is so hotly sought-after is that it has the very first printed appearance of the Sub-Mariner. The comic was never released to newsstands -- it was created as a promotional item by the Lloyd Jacquet studio (or "shop") of artists also known as Funnies Inc. It was intended to be a giveaway to be distributed weekly at movie theatres (as demonstrated by the back-cover ad which elaborates on the concept). The Sub-Mariner story even has a box on the last page saying "continued next week," but the concept did not catch on, and no second issue was printed. In fact, the very existence of this comic book was not known to comic fandom until the 1970s...It's that Sub-Mariner connection that accounts for the great historical significance of this comic milestone..When the giveaway series didn't get off the ground, Jacquet simply re-used Bill Everett's Sub-Mariner story for Marvel Comics #1 (produced for Timely in its entirety by Funnies Inc.). The "continued next week" box was removed and Everett added four pages to the story. And the rest is history! As for the rest of the content of the issue (it's all black-and-white inside), it consists of various humor and adventure features. As a matter of fact, the Sub-Mariner story was not the only one to later see publication in a newsstand comic - the "Spy Ring" story was later seen in Silver Streak Comics #1, which was published by a forerunner of the publisher we know as Lev Gleason but was produced in its entirety by Jacquet's Funnies, Inc. As for the cover of this issue, it has been credited to Fred Schwab.

In fact, in Overstreet Guide #8, it was ranked as the third most-valuable comic, behind only Marvel #1 and Action #1. The discovery of this book caused such a sensation is because collectors were forced to realize that the Sub-Mariner story here pre-dates the near-identical one in Marvel Comics #1, making this the character's first printed appearance.

There are nine copies in existence. Five have been slabbed by CGC. Four are unrestored: 5.0, 5.5, 7.0 and 9.0 (pay copy). The restored copies are at 4.0 and 7.5.

The 4.0, 5.5, 7.0 and 9.0 copies have all sold through Heritage.

So, where are all the copies today? I know one board member who owns a raw 7.0 restored copy. Does anyone else here own one? Know who does? :popcorn:

I thought you had one. :applause:

And "Yes!" I do have one. Mark, it's a VF-, I was thinking F/VF because of a conversation I had with a fellow who was there when the books were found. He figured average condition was F/VF. Said most of the copies would've done well to have had some restoration, as the spines were frayed on many to most copies. The restoration on mine is spine rebuilt, Moderate I believe. (note: scan was taken while book is in a fortress, so little blurry).

mpfw1f.jpg

and here's the back which explains how the book was to work as a give away.

mpfw1b.jpg

So that accounts for 3 out of the 9 known copies. Anyone know who won the Pay Copy VF/NM? That book is the KIng of MPFW's. (worship)

Here's the CGC census for MPFW #1

Universal label Unrestored................Sold on:

1..........9.0 Cream to off-white pages $43,125.00 10/15/2005

1..........7.0 Light tan to off-white pages $20,700.00 7/7/2002

1..........5.5 (Esquire's) Slightly brittle pages $20,315.00 2/27/2009

Restored label

1..........4.0 (MP) Brittle pages $11,352.50 5/23/2008

Raw that we know of:

1..........7.5 (Fuelman's) (MP) Light tan pages $12,000.00 ?/?/2000

1..........??? (JBComicbox)

1..........??? (????????)

Covers to 2-4 average over 4 sales shown on Hertiage $924.18