• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where are the Nine MPWF #1 copies Today?
5 5

235 posts in this topic

See how easy that was?

I am going to go back to the Museum and look at all the other books I want and see if it works again! :headbang:

That's the way it always works.

;)

It's call "The Secret"

See how easy that was?

I am going to go back to the Museum and look at all the other books I want and see if it works again! :headbang:

With great power comes great responsibility. (tsk)

Aw, ta heck with that! Go wish for that Action Comics #1 & let us know how it all works out for ya. (thumbs u

Updated yet again....

So, here's some updated information combining this thread's information, Heritage Auction House archives & the CGC census & from known owners:

Motion Picture Funnies Weekly #1

CGC Graded Universal Label Unrestored.........................................Sold for on:

1..........9.0 Cream to off-white pages "Pay Copy"......$43,125.00 10/15/2005

1..........7.0 Light tan to off-white pages........................$20,700.00 7/7/2002

1..........5.5 (esquirecomics) Slightly brittle pages.......$20,315.00 2/27/2009

1..........5.0 Slightly brittle pages.................................????..........?/?/????

CGC Graded Restored Label

1..........4.0 (MP) Brittle pages......................................$11,352.50 5/23/2008

Raw that we know of:

1..........7.5 (FUELMAN's) (MP) Light tan pages...........$12,000.00* 9-10/2000

.......................* included covers 2-4

1..........8.0 (jbcomicbox) tanning halo, 3/4" spine split .......$10,000.00 9/1993

.....................possible restoration above top staple.

Coverless Copy

1..........NG (thecollectron) Light tan pages(tanning halo)........$4,000.00...... 2001

9th, Raw Unknown Issue (now 10th issue)

1...........raw...........................???.....................................???

Covers to 2-4 average over 4 sales shown on Hertiage $924.18

Esquire Comics has sold 2 sets since 2008 for $1,200.00 each

This would bring the average price realized for 6 sets to $1,016.12 per set

Estimated between 20-30 sets exist(?)

History of The 9th Suspected (Now the 10th Suspected?):

I have heard this came about due to a former movie theater owner in the Boston area claiming to remember seeing a Motion Picture Funnies Weekly, so it became suspected, "possible distribution"(?), but has not turned up to date.

Overstreet #38, 2008 Edition

"Note: Eight copies (plus one coverless) were discovered in 1974 in the estate of the deceased publisher. Covers only to issues No.2-4 were also found which evidently were printed in advance along with #1.#1 was to be distributed only through motion picture movie houses. However, it is believed that only advanced copies were sent out and the motion picture houses not going for the idea. Possible distribution at local theaters in Boston suspected. The "Pay Copy" (graded at 9.0) was discovered after 1974, bringing the total known to nine. The last panel of Sub-Mariner contains a rectangular box with "Continued next week" printed in it. When reprinted in Marvel Mystery, the box was left in with lettering omitted. "

Additional information from Artifact.com Lot 211 from 1999.

"Description:

1939, Publisher Unlisted, the first and only number, with the covers to Nos. 2-4, original and first appearance of Sub-Mariner by Bill Everett, later reprinted in Marvel Comics No. 1, interior pages are black and white, OWL paper is 7.5 to 8; with very limited restoration to spine by William Sarill, encased within a "Fortress" system; A.C.G. apparent fine plus - 72. (4 pieces) Bob Overstreet notes in his Price Guide that this comic is (rare) with only 8 known copies, and only one near mint with white pages. This copy must be the higher grade copy that Overstreet refers to because the consignor is the original discoverer of this rare find, and saved his final copy to sell(the copy offered here) as the highest ranked condition copy. It should be noted that William Sarill did very slight touch up work to all eight copies from this discovery, therefore they are all slightly restored copies."

Link to ArtiFact.com web page

just so you know, I dropped out at $10K on it...I never thought that would go for $20 :o

I'm sure there can be a raging debate on whether it was worth $20k or not. Believe me, even I've questioned myself (though I had mentally set $25k as my max). Fortunately I've dealt with my inner demons and accepted it wholeheartedly. :devil::banana:

The opportunity cost, i.e., or really the lack thereof, I'm sure contributed to/drove up the price. If you look at whether the copies are no, good chance they're not going anywhere anytime soon.

No way the book would have ever sold for guide though.

just so you know, I dropped out at $10K on it...I never thought that would go for $20 :o

I'm sure there can be a raging debate on whether it was worth $20k or not. Believe me, even I've questioned myself (though I had mentally set $25k as my max). Fortunately I've dealt with my inner demons and accepted it wholeheartedly. :devil::banana:

The opportunity cost, i.e., or really the lack thereof, I'm sure contributed to/drove up the price. If you look at whether the copies are no, good chance they're not going anywhere anytime soon.

No way the book would have ever sold for guide though.

Well, the price Esquire paid for his unrestored copy at least tells us one thing: The guy who bought the Pay Copy got a pretty sweet deal. :baiting::devil:

Just kidding, Mark. Despite what "The Gator" has said, and he is incredibly gifted in his ability to determine values and keep all of those figures in that little space above his shoulders ( :baiting: ), I do believe Mark's price was in line for an unrestored copy of MPFW #1. Maybe slightly high, but still around or near the ball park. This is why I am trying to not only include who the owners are & the page quality, but the actual sell prices. Eventually we should have all the blanks filled in and it will be interesting tracking the occasional sale as they occur. I know one thing for sure; when you decide this is a must have book, price guide is just a reference and you set a goal determined by what you are willing to pay. So with that in mind, Mark got his book for 20% less than he was willing to pay. (thumbs u

I'd be more inclined to agree if the book had been found in multiple sources, not just in the one estate. I don't remember the backstory that well, but isn't it true that we don't *really* know if this was ever distributed at all?

I'd be more inclined to agree if the book had been found in multiple sources, not just in the one estate. I don't remember the backstory that well, but isn't it true that we don't *really* know if this was ever distributed at all?

But if the books had been discovered in multiple locations, one would think there is a likely possibility of more copies turning up. As it is, we can be relatively assured that this is all you are likely to have to pick from.

But if the books had been discovered in multiple locations, one would think there is a likely possibility of more copies turning up. As it is, we can be relatively assured that this is all you are likely to have to pick from.

But in this case there is the scare factor that a large batch were printed yet never distributed. They could be in a warehouse somewhere.

Or just as likely at the bottom of landfill.

But in this case there is the scare factor that a large batch were printed yet never distributed. They could be in a warehouse somewhere.

so, so glad the mpfw and two so-called timely annuals have never grabbed me even a little bit. god knows the dough i'd have to sink into those things.

That's a thought, but to tell you the truth I have never once even considered that idea. I would think the chances of a find like that are much greater than winning a lottery or being struck by lightning multiple times during one life time (without actually dancing in a tin-foil suit during every thunder storm that comes along).

....and a large batch were found.........in the home of the deceased publisher. :makepoint:

Although MPFW has a huge historic significance, it is a book that would be real low on my "want" list. The cover just doesn't do anything for me.

Let me ask the question, if MPFW had a cover more in line with Marvel Comics 1 but rather than the Human Torch, it had SubMariner on it, what would be the change in value and desirabilty by a wider audiance? My guess is it would make a HUGE difference.

....and a large batch were found.........in the home of the deceased publisher. :makepoint:

It would be neat to know how many were originally printed. There was obviously a print run of an amount larger than the ten or so existent. And they certainly aren't printed ashcan style. Maybe as few as 50 or 100 were done and some were sent out as samples to the area theaters. But it is possible that a print run of many hundreds or thousands were done and when the experiment was deemed unsuccessful they were all pulped or thrown out (or stored away for future generations). Either way, one would expect additional copies to appear from somewhere. The fact that they have not is very interesting.

It would be neat to know how many were originally printed. There was obviously a print run of an amount larger than the ten or so existent. And they certainly aren't printed ashcan style. Maybe as few as 50 or 100 were done and some were sent out as samples to the area theaters. But it is possible that a print run of many hundreds or thousands were done and when the experiment was deemed unsuccessful they were all pulped or thrown out (or stored away for future generations). Either way, one would expect additional copies to appear from somewhere. The fact that they have not is very interesting.

Whatever "cover", this book has tremendous historic value. It is probable that this was a "mock-up". According to an interview with John Snyder in the 1980s, this book was not registered or filed with the Library of Congress. (John was the guy that got me into collecting Centaur/early Chesler/Ultem/Comic Magazine Co.) first printed edition with subby (note the size comparison with other Funnies Inc books put out for Centaur such as Uncle Joes Funnies and Little Giant Detective Funnies #4 and Little Giant Comics #4 It ain't a coincidence. These are the same guys that did the covers for FPFW and the cover sheet of 2-4 Just got the pieces to put it together). Funnies Inc crew drew for Centaur and then created the early timely books and then went in house for Timely. History guys. Evolution.....development. And all this stuff from the Jacquet estate...who ran Funnies, Inc. Do you know what Jacquet's first gig was in comics? Editor of New Fun #1. Don't know about you, but I find this stuff fascinating.

I understand the 'cover' angle as to 'valuation', but the 'value' of this book is its historical context and the few number that exist. It is a book that is sui generis.

How about addressing the importance of the book (or other books) as opposed to distilling it always down to "what it is worth"?

jon

75417.jpg.f8c6a4c06a3f274fad707ddb0c20d08e.jpg

75418.jpg.e01a58d8823e4f24d1d989f745fb340d.jpg