• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where are the Nine MPWF #1 copies Today?
5 5

235 posts in this topic

I am sorry I just found this thread about 2 weeks ago and wrote to Esquire Comics.

I am the owner of the now 10th known copy of MPFW#1 which is the Overstreet copy. It has a big X on the front cover.

I purchased the book on 3/95 from Metropolis for $4500. Many people have said it is missing pages. There are pages that are non original and are not attached but do not appear to be Xerox pages. When I purchased the book Stephen Fishler said they were press proof pages. I have no idea if that is correct and at the time I did not care I just wanted a copy. I have thought about sending it to CGC but never got around to it.

If anyone has any questions let me know. It has basically been sitting in a Pedrin Fortress since 1995.

Welcome. Time to crack that puppy out!

it the "x" copy was displayed in that book all those years ago, why is it only now considered to be "found" as the 10th copy?

Overstreet has identified 8 copies with covers and one coverless being discovered in 1974 initially, with the "Pay" copy subsequently discovered to bring the total to 9 copies with covers and one coverless. Read here:

Overstreet #38, 2008 Edition

"Note: Eight copies (plus one coverless) were discovered in 1974 in the estate of the deceased publisher. ... The "Pay Copy" (graded at 9.0) was discovered after 1974, bringing the total known to nine.

This 10th copy is only "found" in the sense that it is added to the list of owners identified in Mark's charts on the early pages of this thread for the "raw unknown issue".

Edited by sfcityduck

Motion Picture Funnies Weekly #1

CGC Graded Universal Label Unrestored.....................Sold for on:

1..........9.0 Cream to off-white pages "Pay Copy"......$43,125.00 10/15/2005

1..........7.0 Light tan to off-white pages......................$20,700.00 7/7/2002

1..........5.5 (esquirecomics) Slightly brittle pages.......$20,315.00 2/27/2009

1..........5.0 Slightly brittle pages..................................????.............?/?/????

CGC Graded Restored Label

1....,,,,,,7.5 (SP) (FUELMAN) Crm to off white..............$12,000.00. 9/ 2000 (+ cvrs)

1..........7.5 (MP) (VintageComics) Off white pages.......$14,000.00 6/20/2009

1..........4.0 (MP) Brittle pages.......................................$11,352.50 5/23/2008

Raw that we know of:

1..........8.0 (jbcomicbox) tanning halo, 3/4" spine split .......$10,000.00 9/1993

.....................possible restoration above top staple.

1...........raw (socal) X on cover inc. w/ proof pages added ..........$4,500 1995

Coverless Copy

1..........NG (thecollectron) Light tan pages(tanning halo)........$4,000.00...... 2001

Edited by sfcityduck

While not quite copies of number 1, in my pursuit of #1 I had been talking to Jerry Weist. He sold me a set of 3 proofs in near perfect condition for MPFW 2,3 and 4, which were never published. He told me they were very rare and aside from his comments I have no idea. Anyway, for the record, here they are:

MPFW%2021_zpsy5fusak8.jpg

Edited by 4GEMWORKS

there are supposedly about 30 sets of the proofs that were discovered....and countless "copies" or forgeries made that have been passed over the years...

as long as you have some documentation you bought from weist, yours are highly likely legit...but I've seen a bunch that are not

there are supposedly about 30 sets of the proofs that were discovered....and countless "copies" or forgeries made that have been passed over the years...

as long as you have some documentation you bought from weist, yours are highly likely legit...but I've seen a bunch that are not

Just out of curiosity. I paid Jerry $600 for the set. Any idea what they are actually worth? I just thought they were pretty cool but had no idea what they were worth. He seemed to have a ball park figure, given their scarcity.

Assuming I paid Jerry via PayPal, which I have almost always used to pay for anything, I could probably dig up the transaction, among my many thousands (unfortunately).

The back of the Mylar had this label which I have zoomed up. Does anybody recognize this as either Jerry's writing or store? "O'Leary's Books"?

MPFW%20label4_zpsdzlae6ln.jpg

Mark Zaid was selling sets a few years back--I bought one set from him. Apparently CGC won't slab them because they don't feel confident in identifying forgeries.

So, as Gator notes, provenance is key with these.

Assuming I paid Jerry via PayPal, which I have almost always used to pay for anything, I could probably dig up the transaction, among my many thousands (unfortunately).

The back of the Mylar had this label which I have zoomed up. Does anybody recognize this as either Jerry's writing or store? "O'Leary's Books"?

I'm pretty sure the label is from the O'Leary's just south of Tacoma, Washington that closed about 10 years ago.

I'm pretty sure the label is from the O'Leary's just south of Tacoma, Washington that closed about 10 years ago.

correct. O'Learys used to advertise in the OSPG.

Correct. Ron got married 31.12.1999 in New Zealand and moved to Australia where he's teaching at a small country town.

How do I know?

:gossip: I was Best Man. lol

Correct. Ron got married 31.12.1999 in New Zealand and moved to Australia where he's teaching at a small country town.

How do I know?

:gossip: I was Best Man. lol

lol What a small world sometimes.

I miss O'Leary's horribly, one of the two best comic shops I've ever been to.

Got my first true GA book there (Fawcett's Funny Animals #10), one of the only issues of All-Star I've ever had (All-Star #20, sadly sold on now), my first precode Super-Hero books (a handful of beat up Marvel Family books), my first issue of Scribbly (#9, $9); the first Platinum age book I've ever had (The Funnies #13). And that's just the Precode stuff that comes quickly to mind...

First pre-Adv 300 Legion appearance I ever got (Action #287). First Steranko art I ever saw (X-Men #50). First Neal Adams art I ever saw (GL/ GA #87). Got my GL/ GA #76 there, as well. I want to say I paid $14 for it at the time, the most expensive book I had ever bought up until then. One year for my birthday, my parents got me the GL/GA #85 they had in the case up front; signed by Neal Adams and Gil Kane both. (I got Denny O'Neil to add his signature to it a couple years ago, finally.)

Pogo Books. Sugar & Spike. Bantam Doc Savages. Dell Looney Tunes. An issue of Goofy Comics with Frazetta text illos. For Legion fans, That Damned Tabloid. Half a dozen Harlan Ellison 1st editions as a lot for 75c each, as I recall. Always something good there, even when my budget was next to nil. It was only a couple miles from my high school, so sometimes I went without lunch and went there instead.

I miss O'Leary's horribly. And I'm far, far from the only person in the area who does.