• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where are the Nine MPWF #1 copies Today?
5 5

235 posts in this topic

This one's mine folks. Back off.

:sumo:

I was thinking about adding another to my collection actually. :gossip:

I really wouldn't mind having a reader copy either.................... hm

(tsk)

Watch it, buddy, or I'll pull a Calamerica & buy them all up. :sumo:

FUELMAN (who is not afraid to back that up!)

:blahblah:

:slapfight:

(tsk)

:blahblah:

Did you just challenge a virgo?

Just read thru this thread...great info here.....nice that this info is being shared.... (thumbs u

My question is (and maybe it was answered here...but i missed it) how many copies of the covers of #2-4 exist...?????

Thanks!!!

Just read thru this thread...great info here.....nice that this info is being shared.... (thumbs u

My question is (and maybe it was answered here...but i missed it) how many copies of the covers of #2-4 exist...?????

Thanks!!!

20-30 sets were the number we estimated.

(tsk)

I would definitely be interested in doing that! :acclaim:

I saw a set for sale here on the boards about 6 months ago....but i did not know how many were estimated to exist....Thanks Bob!!!! (thumbs u

I have a set available if any one is interested. I was told by one of the people connected to the "find" of the books that, as Fuelman noted, approximately 20-30 sets exist. That said, only about 6 sets seem to be openly circulating for public consumption during the last 8 years or so (at least that can be tracked online).

(tsk)

I would definitely be interested in doing that! :acclaim:

:whatev:

I saw a set for sale here on the boards about 6 months ago....but i did not know how many were estimated to exist....Thanks Bob!!!! (thumbs u

I have a set available if any one is interested. I was told by one of the people connected to the "find" of the books that, as Fuelman noted, approximately 20-30 sets exist. That said, only about 6 sets seem to be openly circulating for public consumption during the last 8 years or so (at least that can be tracked online).

I have/had 2 sets...did sell one set in SD last year? and still have a set...

It looks like a few additional sets are currently being released into the marketplace, so tread lightly, guys. Jerry Weist's MPFW Auction

It looks like a few additional sets are currently being released into the marketplace, so tread lightly, guys. Jerry Weist's MPFW Auction

Jerry has some of the sets. He is way underpricing them. Take advantage while you can.

Well, y'all. I went ahead and did it. A new addition to my collection so add me to the list.

:banana:

When I get it I am actually thinking about cracking it and posting pics of the interior.

hm

MPFW1front.jpg

Updated yet again....

So, here's some updated information combining this thread's information, Heritage Auction House archives & the CGC census & from known owners:

Motion Picture Funnies Weekly #1

CGC Graded Universal Label Unrestored.....................Sold for on:

1..........9.0 Cream to off-white pages "Pay Copy"......$43,125.00 10/15/2005

1..........7.0 Light tan to off-white pages........................$20,700.00 7/7/2002

1..........5.5 (esquirecomics) Slightly brittle pages.......$20,315.00 2/27/2009

1..........5.0 Slightly brittle pages....................................????..........?/?/????

CGC Graded Restored Label

1..........7.5 (MP) (r1970d) off white pages.....................$ 14,000.00 6/20/2009

1..........4.0 (MP) Brittle pages.........................................$11,352.50 5/23/2008

Raw that we know of:

1..........7.5 (FUELMAN's) (MP) Light tan pages...........$12,000.00* 9-10/2000

.......................* included covers 2-4

1..........8.0 (jbcomicbox) tanning halo, 3/4" spine split .......$10,000.00 9/1993

.....................possible restoration above top staple.

Coverless Copy

1..........NG (thecollectron) Light tan pages(tanning halo)........$4,000.00...... 2001

9th, Raw Unknown Issue (now 10th issue)

1...........raw...........................???.....................................???

Covers to 2-4 average over 4 sales shown on Hertiage $924.18

Esquire Comics has sold 2 sets since 2008 for $1,200.00 each

This would bring the average price realized for 6 sets to $1,016.12 per set

Estimated between 20-30 sets exist(?)

History of The 9th Suspected (Now the 10th Suspected?):

I have heard this came about due to a former movie theater owner in the Boston area claiming to remember seeing a Motion Picture Funnies Weekly, so it became suspected, "possible distribution"(?), but has not turned up to date.

Overstreet #38, 2008 Edition

"Note: Eight copies (plus one coverless) were discovered in 1974 in the estate of the deceased publisher. Covers only to issues No.2-4 were also found which evidently were printed in advance along with #1.#1 was to be distributed only through motion picture movie houses. However, it is believed that only advanced copies were sent out and the motion picture houses not going for the idea. Possible distribution at local theaters in Boston suspected. The "Pay Copy" (graded at 9.0) was discovered after 1974, bringing the total known to nine. The last panel of Sub-Mariner contains a rectangular box with "Continued next week" printed in it. When reprinted in Marvel Mystery, the box was left in with lettering omitted. "

Additional information from Artifact.com Lot 211 from 1999.

"Description:

1939, Publisher Unlisted, the first and only number, with the covers to Nos. 2-4, original and first appearance of Sub-Mariner by Bill Everett, later reprinted in Marvel Comics No. 1, interior pages are black and white, OWL paper is 7.5 to 8; with very limited restoration to spine by William Sarill, encased within a "Fortress" system; A.C.G. apparent fine plus - 72. (4 pieces) Bob Overstreet notes in his Price Guide that this comic is (rare) with only 8 known copies, and only one near mint with white pages. This copy must be the higher grade copy that Overstreet refers to because the consignor is the original discoverer of this rare find, and saved his final copy to sell(the copy offered here) as the highest ranked condition copy. It should be noted that William Sarill did very slight touch up work to all eight copies from this discovery, therefore they are all slightly restored copies."

Link to ArtiFact.com web page

Well, y'all. I went ahead and did it. A new addition to my collection so add me to the list.

:banana:

When I get it I am actually thinking about cracking it and posting pics of the interior.

hm

MPFW1front.jpg

Congrats Roy! Welcome to a very small but elite club. :applause:

Now you need to put your sites on the covers to 2-4......and a Captain America Comics #1 for the ultimate "Timely Hat-Trick". (thumbs u

Roy congrats, you have to crack this just to witness the history first hand. Would be a shame to keep it in a slabb.

I am seriously considering it.

hm

Roy congrats, you have to crack this just to witness the history first hand. Would be a shame to keep it in a slabb.

hm

When you resub, remember to not send the old label in. KEEP 'EM GUESSING!

hm

When you resub, remember to not send the old label in. KEEP 'EM GUESSING!

The old label has NO bearing on how it grades second time around. You can trust me on that.

(thumbs u