• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

awe4one's Megacon Ramblings, Ruminations, and Observations

98 posts in this topic

I saw no one at Ferrigno's table the whole day...

Jim

I have seen Ferringo at many of the Chicago Cons, and other events. He always has that, " I'm pizzed off and bored" look on his face. I never see anyone at his booth either. All of the other big stars, wrestlers, divas etc are very personable and fun to take pictures with. Hes just too big to give an attitude adjustment to though. :roflmao:

DRX

Arrived at the con around 10:30 and there was already more people in the place than at anytime on Friday. Before long the place was packed and walking the aisles was an issue...

Two things would alleviate the slow movement but I doubt they could be implemented: (1) People should show some courtesy and take pictures of costumes on the edges of the room. I can't tell you how many times movement was halted due to someone stopping and having to take a pic of someone in costume. (2) Don't bring your luggage on wheels with you to a con. If you can't carry it in your arms or in a backpack then maybe you're bringing too much. People wheeling their luggage behind them caused movement to slow to a crawl at times... :mad:

My day started out again at the Qualitycomix booth. Brent and Jive were manning the booth with someone else who I can't for the life of me remember their name. Regardless, I started looking through some boxes I missed yesterday. Turns out the comics were the guy who I can't for the life of me remember their name. Ended up buying a Flash #177, Ghostly Tales #169 (another final issue), and a sweet Where Monsters Dwell #22. Turns out the guy collects Charlton horror as well and I pointed him to a couple dealers who had copies...Crazy Ed had pretty nice issues he was selling 3 for $5 for example...

Quality's booth...

qualitycomix.jpg

Walked over and had a nice chat with Barbara Kesel for awhile and let her know how much I miss reading Meridian and CG comics in general. She suggested I contact Disney to see if they'll revive the series...we both aren't holding our breathes...

I stopped by Krypton Comics and looked through their boxes. They had a decent selection of GA/SA comics and the prices were pretty reasonable. I ended up buying a Midnight Mystery #7, Western Fighters Vol 2 #8, and My Greatest Adventure #67...

I then started fighting the crowds and make my way back to the media guests area to take a pic of Luciana Carro...

Pic coming up...

Jim

Luciana Carro - Kat on Battlestar Galactica

luciana_carro.jpg

After looking at the pic, it really doesn't do her justice. I wish she hadn't dolled it up as much. She's stunning when she's just acting normal. Regardless, she looks nothing like her character on BSG...

Lots of people in the media area as Tricia Hefler and James Callis finally arrived to sign autographs. Both seemed pleased to be there...good actors...

tricia_hefler.jpg

james_callis.jpg

Also caught a snap of Dirk Benedict. Dosn't look the same without blonde hair...

dirk_benedict.jpg

Ferrigno was still sitting there with no one at his table and looking mostly annoyed...

Jim

After leaving the media area, I stopped by the Graham Crackers booth. Not much caught my eye despite having four Hulk #181s on their wall. Ended up buying a HG Spidey Superstories #56 from them.

By the way, the most prominent wall books I saw at the show was JIMs from #90-120. Everyone seemed to have them...I guess the old standbys X-Men #94 and GS X-Men #1 are falling out of favor...

Stopped by the Basement Comics booth and met Al Stolz. Very nice guy and we chatted for awhile about comics and this Forum. He gave some huge kudos to Donut and Bob Simian by the way. He also mentioned he was done with San Diego. The cost vs. return wasn't worth it anymore. Al also had the best deal of the con...$10 Silver/Bronze/12 for $100. Scooped up some very nice higher grade issues that really had no business being in the box. Some being sold at multiples of cost by other dealers. Bought too many issues to mention. Best transaction of the con in my opinion...

stolz.jpg

Jim

Made my way back to Dale Roberts booth to relook at a My Love #1 I passed on yesterday but wanted a second look to see if it was an upgrade to my copy. It wasn't. Talked with Scott for awhile who mentioned he may have to start looking at collecting Marvel romance due to liking the cover of the My Love #2 I bought yesterday. Another romance collector sucked in... :grin: Scott's a very cool guy by the way and a pleasure to talk to...

Dale's booth...

dale.jpg

Walked around the corner and went through Bedrock's stock again. Talked with Rich and Rick Whitlock for awhile before deciding to buy a Battle Front #36. Really cool cover in my opinion...

Bedrock's booth...

bedrock.jpg

And that was essentially it, I was bushed. Overall, I had quite the stack for the day...

comicsday2.jpg

Some observations:

It was great meeting all the board members and I had a GREAT time.

Costumed attendees. There were alot of them that's for sure. But I think some people take it to another level that just bugs the hell out of me. For example, an area was set up for people to fight each other with padded swords. One guy was dressed up as a Final Fantasy character and was really REALLY into the role. And it didn't stop after he was done. He was playing it for the duration. Also, some celtic band was playing an impromtu set out in the lobby. They were pretty good. All of a sudden some dude dressed up in pirate gear starts trying, and failing miserably, to do some sort of ancient pirate dance. Really embarrassing for him but I don't think he was in on the joke he was becoming. When people start acting this way...I don't know...I find it sort of creepy...

Dude, if you're going to be in a hall with the mass of people we had today...take a bath. There were numerous times, more than I can count, where people's personal stank was overwhelming. These guys are the reason people think comic fans are unwashed stinky loners. Do us all a favor and use soap next time and stop perpetuating the myth...

Jim

Luciana Carro - Kat on Battlestar Galactica

luciana_carro.jpg

After looking at the pic, it really doesn't do her justice. I wish she hadn't dolled it up as much. She's stunning when she's just acting normal. Regardless, she looks nothing like her character on BSG...

Lots of people in the media area as Tricia Hefler and James Callis finally arrived to sign autographs. Both seemed pleased to be there...good actors...

tricia_hefler.jpg

james_callis.jpg

Also caught a snap of Dirk Benedict. Dosn't look the same without blonde hair...

dirk_benedict.jpg

Ferrigno was still sitting there with no one at his table and looking mostly annoyed...

Jim

Nice pics, I was curious if in general Actors/Actresses are put off when asked to pose for a pic (as in they'd rather you purchase an autographed glossy) or they are willing to for a donation/fee.

Only been to one Con and was unsure of the protocol

Nice pics, I was curious if in general Actors/Actresses are put off when asked to pose for a pic (as in they'd rather you purchase an autographed glossy) or they are willing to for a donation/fee.

Only been to one Con and was unsure of the protocol

Gotta pay...at least for the guests Megacon had. Cost me $10 for Carro's pic...

Jim

Terrific report... Also, Al Stoltz is one of the best guys in comics -- wish more people knew and patronized this guy... truly one of the honest straight shooters out there.

He had some nice things to say about you as well...sorry I overlooked that in the report...

Jim

Terrific report... Also, Al Stoltz is one of the best guys in comics -- wish more people knew and patronized this guy... truly one of the honest straight shooters out there.

He had some nice things to say about you as well...sorry I overlooked that in the report...

Jim

Al and I go back aways and I don't know if he associates me with the forums -- though he knows I post here.

But... everyone here who meets Al (you included now) says what a great guy he is... and he is. Plus, he is one of the most honest, solid guys I know in the comics hobby (he also knows how to grade). And I guess when I think about what we all would like to see in sellers, we'd ask them to be Al, Bob Storms, Dave Reynolds, Jim Payette -- one of the "good guys". I just wish there was a way to get more of the word out about him.

I'm having serious WiFi problems...I

I hit the convention floor and my first impression? It's much smaller than what I imagined. I thought it would be a mini-SD but in reality the con is a bigger genre convention than what I've been to. Not complaining mind you but I thought I'd be somewhat shocked by the size of it all. I wasn't. Here are some pics of the floor...

floor1.jpg

floor2.jpg

I cruised the floor checking out the layout and ended up at Qualitycomix as my first stop. I've always wanted to meet Brent since we served on the NOD committee together. I selected a couple comics and handed them to the person manning the booth. As a joke, and pretty seriously since I do so at most booths if it's not obvious by the comic, I asked if the comics were pressed, Jiveturkeymojo was unfortunately manning the booth at the time. Curious immedate initial response. It was like the air was sucked out of the room. Brent jumped up, checked the comics and stated they weren't pressed. You can definitely tell that dealers are not asked the question much... :eek:

By the way, picked up a nice HG Monsters on the Prowl #14, GL #78, and an Unexpected #161 that I found was from the Kubert Collection after I returned to the hotel room.

Afterwards went to Apocaypse Comics booth who had probably the best deal of the first day of the con. They were blowing out Bronze comics at 3 for $5. Picked up a stash of HG Marvel horror as well as some sweet Charlton horror, westerns, and a very HG copy of Ghost Manor #77...the last issue that is near impossible to find in HG.

Afterwards I decided to check out the media area...

Jim

I think I found a third one.

There were maybe 10 comic dealers? I'm not counting the ones that had 4 shorts boxes of moderns and 6,000 anime-human-leashes.

It's funny...That was the first con I've been to in like, 15 years and I was so underwhelmed. Maybe it was because it was impossible to move without bumping into a million naruto kids or the LARPers screaming in your ear.

Jim

Al and I go back aways and I don't know if he associates me with the forums -- though he knows I post here.

But... everyone here who meets Al (you included now) says what a great guy he is... and he is. Plus, he is one of the most honest, solid guys I know in the comics hobby (he also knows how to grade). And I guess when I think about what we all would like to see in sellers, we'd ask them to be Al, Bob Storms, Dave Reynolds, Jim Payette -- one of the "good guys". I just wish there was a way to get more of the word out about him.

Thanks for the compliment Brian.

It looked like the promotor pulled some vendors out of a Flea market and placed them in the convention to fill up dealer space. FX is starting to look really good.

lol

After seeing the sand art booth, I sighed and drove home.

Jim

It isn't an exclusive list Dale, just naming some off the top of my head.

Jim

You're OK in my book Dale...but don't expect me to be any less hard on you when we have a disagreement... :baiting:

Now go out and find me a HG My Love #14... :cloud9:

I Have been attending mega Con for 8 straight years now. It had many ups & downs, but I could never imagine that it would turn into a Manga/Anime Convention.

I saw that many of the dealers have downsized their booths like Crazy Ed now has one booth, Big Red Guy comics went from a quad to two booths, Graham Crackers has one as well.

I just wonder what Mega Con will be like next year. I doubt I am going to attend this ever again. Are there any other coneventions in Florida That will be geared to comics?

I have heard mixed things about FX. It does look like to be a show that is geared towards Comics.

I already made my reservations awhile ago & will be attending tomorrow to make the most of it.