• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

awe4one's Megacon Ramblings, Ruminations, and Observations

98 posts in this topic

I saw that many of the dealers have downsized their booths like Crazy Ed now has one booth

Does Crazy Ed have enough stock for more than one booth? To be completely honest, his stock is organized in such a haphazard way that only Ed knows where anything is. Also, he can come off as an individual_without_enough_empathy when people are looking through his stock. I saw it repeatedly over the last two days.

Not a way to garner sales...and frankly it turns me off as a customer. Even his help aren't sure where customers should start looking for want items...

Frankly he needs to get his stock into a more user friendly structure...

Jim

I would like to hear from our West Coast board members about WonderCon - having two massive shows on the same weekend has to be killing both of them.

BTW, was Greg White set up? Go ask him for a CGC book. (and then duck).

Terrific report... Also, Al Stoltz is one of the best guys in comics -- wish more people knew and patronized this guy... truly one of the honest straight shooters out there.

He had some nice things to say about you as well...sorry I overlooked that in the report...

Jim

Al and I go back aways and I don't know if he associates me with the forums -- though he knows I post here.

But... everyone here who meets Al (you included now) says what a great guy he is... and he is. Plus, he is one of the most honest, solid guys I know in the comics hobby (he also knows how to grade). And I guess when I think about what we all would like to see in sellers, we'd ask them to be Al, Bob Storms, Dave Reynolds, Jim Payette -- one of the "good guys". I just wish there was a way to get more of the word out about him.

Thanks for the compliment Brian.

You're OK in my book Dale...but don't expect me to be any less hard on you when we have a disagreement... :baiting:

Now go out and find me a HG My Love #14... :cloud9:

I can always agree to disagree with someone who spends money.....

Terrific report... Also, Al Stoltz is one of the best guys in comics -- wish more people knew and patronized this guy... truly one of the honest straight shooters out there.

He had some nice things to say about you as well...sorry I overlooked that in the report...

Jim

Al and I go back aways and I don't know if he associates me with the forums -- though he knows I post here.

But... everyone here who meets Al (you included now) says what a great guy he is... and he is. Plus, he is one of the most honest, solid guys I know in the comics hobby (he also knows how to grade). And I guess when I think about what we all would like to see in sellers, we'd ask them to be Al, Bob Storms, Dave Reynolds, Jim Payette -- one of the "good guys". I just wish there was a way to get more of the word out about him.

Thanks for the compliment Brian.

It isn't an exclusive list Dale, just naming some off the top of my head.

No problem Brian.......

From a dealer perspective....

The show has been fairly disappointing as well. Friday was very slow, which is to be expected. Can't see people taking off work to come to a convention where the economy is bad. Saturday was okay, but mostly due to a few bigger sales. Tons of people, but as most have stated, tons of costumes......and you know what they say.... Costumes don't have pockets.

Assuming a decent day tomorrow, the show will be down about 20% for me this year which is not terrible, but not good either. Of course a good day and I could be right where I want to be or even better.

There are several customers who normally come to this show who simply have not been at the convention yet, and may not come at all. Several others who spent, but spent a little less than in the past.

On a positive note, I have had a great time visiting with Scotty and all the board members at the show. Tons of guys here at the con, and I met some who I had never met before which is always good.

I saw no one at Ferrigno's table the whole day...

Jim

I have seen Ferringo at many of the Chicago Cons, and other events. He always has that, " I'm pizzed off and bored" look on his face. I never see anyone at his booth either. All of the other big stars, wrestlers, divas etc are very personable and fun to take pictures with. Hes just too big to give an attitude adjustment to though. :roflmao:

DRX

Great report Jim! (thumbs u

Ok, so I have to share this quick story. I'm chatting away at the Phoenix con with Brent Spiner (Data from S.T. Next Gen). Really really great guy. And he tells me this story of how Lou Freringo is on the plane with him, doesnt' recognize him, and is sooo rude with him. We all laugh about it, and I'm like "this is so kewl, here's Data bashing on the hulk what more could I want?" Brent laughed a long time, and then gave me a free pic of himself.

From a dealer perspective....

The show has been fairly disappointing as well. Friday was very slow, which is to be expected. Can't see people taking off work to come to a convention where the economy is bad. Saturday was okay, but mostly due to a few bigger sales. Tons of people, but as most have stated, tons of costumes......and you know what they say.... Costumes don't have pockets.

Assuming a decent day tomorrow, the show will be down about 20% for me this year which is not terrible, but not good either. Of course a good day and I could be right where I want to be or even better.

There are several customers who normally come to this show who simply have not been at the convention yet, and may not come at all. Several others who spent, but spent a little less than in the past.

On a positive note, I have had a great time visiting with Scotty and all the board members at the show. Tons of guys here at the con, and I met some who I had never met before which is always good.

Hi Dale,

I am heading out now with my son for that 2 hour ride and will definitetly stop by your booth to meet you. Hopefully have some nice stuff to look at! (ff's hint hint)

See you later,

Steve

>>Well I am off to the convention for probably my last & final time, I spoke to a few dealers & some said they were not going to renew for next year. This is a sad day. I will be going to REAL Comic Book conventions in the next few months.<<

I didn't make the 3 hour trek to MegaCon this year for the same reason. Every year, the comic book presence is less. I don't care about manga, movies, gaming, costumes, TV, swords, etc. Just my comics and the writers and artists who create them. Why should I pay high ticket prices, burn more than a tank of gas and fight thru crowds for a disappointing experience? Nah.

Sorry to hear the show was a dissapointment to both dealers and customers. Megacon simply has priced itself out of allowing smaller comic dealers to make any money. You are going to see more and more shows turn into this. I debated getting a half island and setting up this year. But its $1500 for the booth and even though I'm only 2 hrs away add hotel/gas/paying my help to watch my shop while I'm gone. Now hard numbers I'm in the hole $2200 or so before I make a dollar. That is a months rent at the store. Would I do anywhere near a months receipts at Mega Con , maybe a quarter if I was very lucky. Its become too much work for too little return.

Internet doesnt help either neither does the economy and the fact that Floridians dont make the best $ comparison wise to the northeast or the west. I had a lot of store customers who intially were planning to attend but had to cancel their plans because of money being tight.

I wouldnt count on FX being any better. It has never been a comic show.

Sorry to hear the show was a dissapointment to both dealers and customers. Megacon simply has priced itself out of allowing smaller comic dealers to make any money. You are going to see more and more shows turn into this. I debated getting a half island and setting up this year. But its $1500 for the booth and even though I'm only 2 hrs away add hotel/gas/paying my help to watch my shop while I'm gone. Now hard numbers I'm in the hole $2200 or so before I make a dollar. That is a months rent at the store. Would I do anywhere near a months receipts at Mega Con , maybe a quarter if I was very lucky. Its become too much work for too little return.

Internet doesnt help either neither does the economy and the fact that Floridians dont make the best $ comparison wise to the northeast or the west. I had a lot of store customers who intially were planning to attend but had to cancel their plans because of money being tight.

It sounds to me like the comic convention(s) will soon be a thing of the past ... (shrug)

I like many others enjoy going to comic shows but when you see dealers uping the price on books just to make ends meat and because of this they lose in more ways than one.

a little off topic, I was speaking an LCS owner and he was lamenting the recent loss of many of his best customers to the economy, health and moving. $75 a month here, 50 a week there. It was adding up and scaring him.

After leaving the media area, I stopped by the Graham Crackers booth. Not much caught my eye despite having four Hulk #181s on their wall. Ended up buying a HG Spidey Superstories #56 from them.

By the way, the most prominent wall books I saw at the show was JIMs from #90-120. Everyone seemed to have them...I guess the old standbys X-Men #94 and GS X-Men #1 are falling out of favor...

Stopped by the Basement Comics booth and met Al Stolz. Very nice guy and we chatted for awhile about comics and this Forum. He gave some huge kudos to Donut and Bob Simian by the way. He also mentioned he was done with San Diego. The cost vs. return wasn't worth it anymore. Al also had the best deal of the con...$10 Silver/Bronze/12 for $100. Scooped up some very nice higher grade issues that really had no business being in the box. Some being sold at multiples of cost by other dealers. Bought too many issues to mention. Best transaction of the con in my opinion...

stolz.jpg

Jim

Al and his wife are some great people (that is also his one son pictured). I see Al about 10 times a year probably more, and always end up talking for an hour or so. He is a solid dealer, an honest guy, and extremely friendly. And as you stated the $5, and $10.00 books are just astonishing at times. I have spent hours going through those boxes. But in all honesty, probably the friendliest dealer I ahve ever met. More people should take notice.

I saw no one at Ferrigno's table the whole day...

Jim

I have seen Ferringo at many of the Chicago Cons, and other events. He always has that, " I'm pizzed off and bored" look on his face. I never see anyone at his booth either. All of the other big stars, wrestlers, divas etc are very personable and fun to take pictures with. Hes just too big to give an attitude adjustment to though. :roflmao:

DRX

Great report Jim! (thumbs u

Ok, so I have to share this quick story. I'm chatting away at the Phoenix con with Brent Spiner (Data from S.T. Next Gen). Really really great guy. And he tells me this story of how Lou Freringo is on the plane with him, doesnt' recognize him, and is sooo rude with him. We all laugh about it, and I'm like "this is so kewl, here's Data bashing on the hulk what more could I want?" Brent laughed a long time, and then gave me a free pic of himself.

I jokingly challenged Lou Ferrigno to a fight last year in Detroit.

He laughed.

:roflmao:

It sounds to me like the comic convention(s) will soon be a thing of the past ... (shrug)

I like many others enjoy going to comic shows but when you see dealers uping the price on books just to make ends meat and because of this they lose in more ways than one.

This is a problem, and a mixture of problems at that. There is no "simple" solution. For conventions to keep moving many changes would have to take place. Unfortunately it would produce the same flaws as the current bailout. The convention "hall" is expensive and promoting, organizng, and having people work it add up. So the promoter has to charge each dealer "X" amount of dollars per booth. So the dealers have a huge overhead and cant discount very much.

If the promoter cut a littl out of profit to help the dealers, would the dealers be more relaxed on pricing? I doubt it. I would bet dealers would not be interested in selling books for less then they could on Ebay, here, C-Link. The chances of cost trickling down are very slim. And if certain dealers did decide to lower prices other dealers would buy them before open and mark them up anyways. Its a catch 22 down the line.

Local shows are going to continue to be the most relaxed atmosphere for buying, but will generally demand traveling more then once a month to acquire really good deals. The major conventions are just becoming to expensive, and are losing the comics. Manga, toys, movies, etc.. Seem to be taking over. Which is stupid.

I would love to see someone start setting up actual comic conventions again. I think at this rate a large scale convention could do well, as long as you had plenty of dealers, good advertising, etc.. Having CGC on site for grading would benefit as well. As the number of conventions they do on site gradinga re really down.

I would like to see comics conventions break away from media conventions. have more of them and far cheaper for dealers to set up. I dont care about any of the other crappola especially fi it hrts the dealers bottom lines or forces them away.

I would like to see comics conventions break away from media conventions. have more of them and far cheaper for dealers to set up. I dont care about any of the other crappola especially fi it hrts the dealers bottom lines or forces them away.

Bingo.