• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

awe4one's Megacon Ramblings, Ruminations, and Observations

98 posts in this topic

I saw no one at Ferrigno's table the whole day...

Jim

I have seen Ferringo at many of the Chicago Cons, and other events. He always has that, " I'm pizzed off and bored" look on his face. I never see anyone at his booth either. All of the other big stars, wrestlers, divas etc are very personable and fun to take pictures with. Hes just too big to give an attitude adjustment to though. :roflmao:

DRX

Great report Jim! (thumbs u

Ok, so I have to share this quick story. I'm chatting away at the Phoenix con with Brent Spiner (Data from S.T. Next Gen). Really really great guy. And he tells me this story of how Lou Freringo is on the plane with him, doesnt' recognize him, and is sooo rude with him. We all laugh about it, and I'm like "this is so kewl, here's Data bashing on the hulk what more could I want?" Brent laughed a long time, and then gave me a free pic of himself.

I jokingly challenged Lou Ferrigno to a fight last year in Detroit.

He laughed.

:roflmao:

I bet that was the first time he ever heard that at a comic book convention :insane:

I would like to see comics conventions break away from media conventions. have more of them and far cheaper for dealers to set up. I dont care about any of the other crappola especially fi it hrts the dealers bottom lines or forces them away.

:golfclap:

I too would love to go to a comic convention where there was just books and artists and that's it .... :sumo: & some writers.

I enjoy the 1 day shows more than the large con because it all about the books and some dealers are way cool to work with when buying in bulk.

I would like to see comics conventions break away from media conventions. have more of them and far cheaper for dealers to set up. I dont care about any of the other crappola especially fi it hrts the dealers bottom lines or forces them away.

I too would love to go to a comic convention where there was just books and artists and that's it .... :sumo: & some writers.

I enjoy the 1 day shows more than the large con because it all about the books and some dealers are way cool to work with when buying in bulk.

The first two that come to mind are Baltimore and Boston, and WWChicago is still definitely a comic book show (more books and greater variety than any show in the country, in my opinion).

My best suggestion for Mega-Con is to segregate the animae from the comics from the artists. I didn't even meet up with Tim Gordon or Tom Raupp until day three because the layout was so bad I kept missing them. Since there will only be 2-3 comic dealers next year (from the many grumblings I kept hearing), it won't be hard to put them all in one aisle. lol

My best suggestion for Mega-Con is to segregate the animae from the comics from the artists. I didn't even meet up with Tim Gordon or Tom Raupp until day three because the layout was so bad I kept missing them. Since there will only be 2-3 comic dealers next year (from the many grumblings I kept hearing), it won't be hard to put them all in one aisle. lol

This is the problem in Phoenix as well. I was given the chance to participate in a survey and I hammered them about keeping the anime crowds out of harm's way. It's starting to look like a growing plague that may get worse before it gets better.

Sunday follow up...

Day started out a little bit slow, but after about the first hour and a half, things started picking up for me. Several lookers and interested parties, and shortly, the first real sale of the day, including a nice Avengers #2, Am Spidey Annual 4, FF Annual 2, DD #6, Teen Titans #3, and several other less expensive books. Shortly after, sold a Batman #21 and DD #1 to another guy, and right after that, a Blackhawk #17 and All Star #38 to a female customer. Also had several other significant sales including Am Spidey #121, X-Men #109, Am Spidey #124, 125, and quite a few other books. As far as numbers of decent sales, Sunday was my best day at the convention. Got a bonus sale from the con as well, as last night I sold my Catman #20 to a fellow boardie who someone had passed the word too.

All in all not a bad con, especially considering how hard Florida has been hit by the economy.

On a different note, I did spend along time talking to the promoter about ways to help the convention, which in fact included separating the comic dealers from the swords, anime, videos and other trash, and potentially running artist alley right down the middle to separate them. Also talked to her about running a full page ad in the Overstreet about the convention. Hopefully she will make some changes for the better.

If someone like Reed Expositions were to purchase the convention, it could be transformed into the San Diego of the east coast. The Convention center is bigger than San Diego, and there are plenty of hotels, and Orlando is a very travel friendly destination.

This is the problem in Phoenix as well. I was given the chance to participate in a survey and I hammered them about keeping the anime crowds out of harm's way. It's starting to look like a growing plague that may get worse before it gets better.

Yeah, I agree. There’s definitely an anime plague at MegaCon, more so than anywhere else I’ve been. There were so many of these puffy blue and pink-haired pre-pubescent nymphs and faeries chasing each other down the aisles, stopping only to get their picture taken – which was all too frequent. These creatures were transfixed by the camera. I thought I entered the wrong doors and went into Neverland instead of MegaCon.

Almost got killed when I made the wrong turn and walked into the ninja throwing star dodgeball tournament. And I’m not just being funny – this really happened.

Cost me $10 for Carro's pic...

That's $11 more than I would have spent. :baiting:

lol

You know...I found it kind of sad when walking the media area. Some guests get alot of attention while others just sit behind their tables with no one there. I realize they're trying to make a buck based on thier now faded celebrity but it's sad to see they have to put themselves into this situation. Maybe they can't let go...I don't know...but it's sad to see nonetheless...

Jim

The trip to MegaCon, I mean Orlando, I mean MegaCon was well worth the 20+ hour driving trip from Toronto *cough*. While it wasn’t one of my better buying trips, I did manage to replenish supplies with a big purchase from Charles at Hotflips. Gotta save on those nasty cross-border shipping charges whenever I can. I also bought a few sweet books from Al Stoltz, including a nice Strange Tales 114. He also had some great HG bargains in that $10 bin of his but I regrettably only bought a few. I could have easily purchased another... like 20-30 more. While Basement Comics, Hotflips and co. do regularly set up at shows a lot closer to T.O., I did manage to meet MCMiles, joeypost and KingofRulers, which was great!!! I was really happy to get that FF 45 from Mike as well as a few other nuggets from their shared table. My wife was appreciative that joeypost gave up his seat so she could sit down (but little did she know it was to keep her from knowing how much I was spending). She also didn’t understand why everyone was introducing themselves by their board names... haha. The show was a lot of fun but, to be honest, I fizzled out by mid-Saturday after continually bumping and grinding with all those puffy anime characters.

:)

lol

You know...I found it kind of sad when walking the media area. Some guests get alot of attention while others just sit behind their tables with no one there. I realize they're trying to make a buck based on thier now faded celebrity but it's sad to see they have to put themselves into this situation. Maybe they can't let go...I don't know...but it's sad to see nonetheless...

Jim

Have any of you guys seen "The Wrestler" yet?? There's a great scene with this very thing going on...

i concur, baltimore is a comic book show!

The first two that come to mind are Baltimore and Boston, and WWChicago is still definitely a comic book show (more books and greater variety than any show in the country, in my opinion).

My day started out again at the Qualitycomix booth. Brent and Jive were manning the booth with someone else who I can't for the life of me remember their name. Regardless, I started looking through some boxes I missed yesterday. Turns out the comics were the guy who I can't for the life of me remember their name. Ended up buying a Flash #177, Ghostly Tales #169 (another final issue), and a sweet Where Monsters Dwell #22. Turns out the guy collects Charlton horror as well and I pointed him to a couple dealers who had copies...Crazy Ed had pretty nice issues he was selling 3 for $5 for example...

Quality's booth...

qualitycomix.jpg

In order behind the table: Ron (whose board name I can't remember), JiveTurkeyMoFo and me. The books were Ron's. Next time introduce yourself as I didn't know you had come by.

I was there most of the weekend hanging around & didn't meet him either.

However, I did meet Transplant. He was walking around in noting but his boxers when that happened. Man, what a weekend!

However, I did meet Transplant. He was walking around in noting but his boxers when that happened. Man, what a weekend!

We had a booth that constantly had 5 -7 board members hanging around and I don't think he came by either.

Transplant is the underwear on the outside guy?

:sick:

Nice report Jim, glad to see you had a decent time after all these years.

Mickey Dolenz - I actually met him as kid, with my sister, while on vacation in Key West in 1974. He actually remembered the meeting...and it wasn't bull as he mentioned events that happened..

Jim

It's amazing that he remembers that.

I was at Richard's booth and he never introduced himself either.

I was at Richard's booth and he never introduced himself either.

I did introduce myself at the all the dealer tables when I first hit them on Friday. Dale, Brent, Jive, Rich, Ron (couldn't remember his name), Scott, Al, Tim...hell every table I initially hit and knew they were on the Forum I introduced myself. And I know someone told others when I was at Rich's table on Friday as I noticed them looking around the corner. There's nothing wrong with coming up to me and introducing yourself...

And I didn't see you either Conan or I would have stopped and chatted...

Jim