• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FANTASTIC FOUR #1 CLUB

1,062 posts in this topic

Thanks for the kind words, fellas. And Torchie, I'd be happy to help. (just fly me out to San Diego). My negotiational prowess has been known to shave up to 4 and a half percent!

My first was a $75 AF15 in VP (Very Poor) condition back in 1985...

You win.

I had all the Marvel keys in high MG to HG by the time I was 14 :cry:

You musta been a rich kid...

Thanks for the kind words, fellas. And Torchie, I'd be happy to help. (just fly me out to San Diego). My negotiational prowess has been known to shave up to 4 and a half percent!

My first was a $75 AF15 in VP (Very Poor) condition back in 1985...

You win.

I had all the Marvel keys in high MG to HG by the time I was 14 :cry:

You musta been a rich kid...

Nope worked at a comic shop when I was a kid. Also mowed lawns and had a paper route (about $20 bucks a week)...The old man paid me $25 a week in store credit to help bag books, stock shelves, sweep/mop, kept an eye on the kids coming in trying to steal books and eventually let me grade and price books. $45 a week back in the mid to late 70's bought a LOT of comics. Every Birthday and Christmas he would give me an expensive book. Also, any expensive book he would sell to me VERY cheap. I had all the grails by 1979. FF#1 coincidentally was the final one acquired to complete the full run (I think FF was on #209 or 210 back then)

Hurts to talk about it. :cry:

Nope worked at a comic shop when I was a kid. Also mowed lawns and had a paper route (about $20 bucks a week)...The old man paid me $25 a week in store credit to help bag books, stock shelves, sweep/mop, kept an eye on the kids coming in trying to steal books and eventually let me grade and price books. $45 a week back in the mid to late 70's bought a LOT of comics. Every Birthday and Christmas he would give me an expensive book. Also, any expensive book he would sell to me VERY cheap. I had all the grails by 1979. FF#1 coincidentally was the final one acquired to complete the full run (I think FF was on #209 or 210 back then)

I remember that story and what happen to them. Very depressing. I am just glad your back in the hobby. The boards are richer for it.

I remember that story and what happen to them. Very depressing. I am just glad your back in the hobby. The boards are richer for it.

I am sorry..never heard the story, what happened that was so bad? If you care to talk about it..

I am sorry..never heard the story, what happened that was so bad? If you care to talk about it..

You don't wanna know... :tonofbricks:

Heck, I'd like to know too. Were they stolen, burned up, sold...?

My stepfather made me pack up all 7500+ of my comics and go with him when he

took them to the city dump.

I was 14.

I ran away from home a few weeks later and never went back home until my Grandfather died in '95 (it was more than just the comics, he was an abusive prikk as well, denied me everything that I was good at or that made me happy)

Stayed away from comic collecting until about Sep 2006. I would still read newsstand books occasionally but couldn't stomach trying to collect again until a couple of years ago.

I was 14.

I ran away from home a few weeks later and never went back home until my Grandfather died in '95 (it was more than just the comics, he was an abusive prikk as well, denied me everything that I was good at or that made me happy)

Stayed away from comic collecting until about Sep 2006. I would still read newsstand books occasionally but couldn't stomach trying to collect again until a couple of years ago.

That's a brave gesture on your part for sharing that story. I'm sorry about the loss but at least the memories of the books are still with you. The Sid's FF1 that you are getting this year should provide some reconciliation in the healing process....

I was 14.

That's a brave gesture on your part for sharing that story. I'm sorry about the loss but at least the memories of the books are still with you. The Sid's FF1 that you are getting this year should provide some reconciliation in the healing process....

:wishluck:

I was 14.

:wishluck:

Wow. That is some story Thomas. And yes, Thank You for sharing it.

You are a true comic collector!! The real deal.

I wish you all the best of luck in rebuilding the run!

As Stan the Man would say, "Onward!"

That is by far, the absolute worse story I have ever heard of here in the forums. It makes me sick to my stomach. What douschebag and half that guy is, man.. hopefully some guy out there in the dump salvaged a few... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

SPIDEY STILL RULES

Hey dude...some of us are Spidey Fans as well but this is the Silver Comics page...we keep it clean over here and it's all about the cool SA brothahood vibe...we don't stray into other threads and pizz on that hydrant...comprende...it's kinda how we do it here...

anyway, WTTB i guess but get a fuggin clue...take the newb humor to the Seller's Market where it belongs... :insane:

agreed :sumo:

Yeah...I LOVE the Silver Age section. Not to pat ourselves on our collective backs, but this place IS generally much more chill than say... General? Sellers? Take your pick? lol

And WTTB AMS... but you DO realize that Amazing Spider-Man abbreviated is ASM?-) :baiting:

Anyhow... bad news fellas. I have to confess I've been bitten by the GA Bats/Tecs bug, so unless a ridiculous deal on a low grade FF1 shows up, looks like I'm going to be spending a little time on some GA books :o Hope I can still come over here and hang though! :wishluck:

Im just happy you collect Tec's under the grades I buy.

FF1 BTW is looking to be my first mega-key. I hope to be able to buy one by the end of the year.

Pat - I have a slabbed 3.0 that I'll eventually be selling. Hopefully, you'll become the owner if you wish.

I was 14.

That really blows, Thomas. I'm not sure how you feel toward him now, but if that was me I would have grabbed a 2x4 and left him at the dump. The way you tell it, that's where he belongs anyway. I had a bit of a rough childhood, but it makes you a better person if you handle it correctly. It appears that you did, so good for you. (thumbs u

I was ready to join the club, but that p issed me off so I'll wait until tomorrow.

Nope worked at a comic shop when I was a kid. Also mowed lawns and had a paper route (about $20 bucks a week)...The old man paid me $25 a week in store credit to help bag books, stock shelves, sweep/mop, kept an eye on the kids coming in trying to steal books and eventually let me grade and price books. $45 a week back in the mid to late 70's bought a LOT of comics. Every Birthday and Christmas he would give me an expensive book. Also, any expensive book he would sell to me VERY cheap. I had all the grails by 1979. FF#1 coincidentally was the final one acquired to complete the full run (I think FF was on #209 or 210 back then)Hurts to talk about it. :cry:
You don't wanna know...  :tonofbricks:
My stepfather made me pack up all 7500+ of my comics and go with him when he took them to the city dump.I was 14. I ran away from home a few weeks later and never went back home until my Grandfather died in '95 (it was more than just the comics, he was an abusive prikk as well, denied me everything that I was good at or that made me happy)Stayed away from comic collecting until about Sep 2006. I would still read newsstand books occasionally but couldn't stomach trying to collect again until a couple of years ago.
That really blows, Thomas. I'm not sure how you feel toward him now, but if that was me I would have grabbed a 2x4 and left him at the dump. The way you tell it, that's where he belongs anyway. I had a bit of a rough childhood, but it makes you a better person if you handle it correctly. It appears that you did, so good for you. (thumbs uI was ready to join the club, but that p issed me off so I'll wait until tomorrow. 

Yeah....he's lucky we boardies aren't the type to load up in a van and go run an WHUPPIN' Train on him.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

SPIDEY STILL RULES

Hey dude...some of us are Spidey Fans as well but this is the Silver Comics page...we keep it clean over here and it's all about the cool SA brothahood vibe...we don't stray into other threads and pizz on that hydrant...comprende...it's kinda how we do it here...

anyway, WTTB i guess but get a fuggin clue...take the newb humor to the Seller's Market where it belongs... :insane:

agreed :sumo:

Yeah...I LOVE the Silver Age section. Not to pat ourselves on our collective backs, but this place IS generally much more chill than say... General? Sellers? Take your pick? lol

And WTTB AMS... but you DO realize that Amazing Spider-Man abbreviated is ASM?-) :baiting:

Anyhow... bad news fellas. I have to confess I've been bitten by the GA Bats/Tecs bug, so unless a ridiculous deal on a low grade FF1 shows up, looks like I'm going to be spending a little time on some GA books :o Hope I can still come over here and hang though! :wishluck:

Im just happy you collect Tec's under the grades I buy.

FF1 BTW is looking to be my first mega-key. I hope to be able to buy one by the end of the year.

Pat - I have a slabbed 3.0 that I'll eventually be selling. Hopefully, you'll become the owner if you wish.

PM sent Rich.

Nope worked at a comic shop when I was a kid. Also mowed lawns and had a paper route (about $20 bucks a week)...The old man paid me $25 a week in store credit to help bag books, stock shelves, sweep/mop, kept an eye on the kids coming in trying to steal books and eventually let me grade and price books. $45 a week back in the mid to late 70's bought a LOT of comics. Every Birthday and Christmas he would give me an expensive book. Also, any expensive book he would sell to me VERY cheap. I had all the grails by 1979. FF#1 coincidentally was the final one acquired to complete the full run (I think FF was on #209 or 210 back then)Hurts to talk about it. :cry:
You don't wanna know...  :tonofbricks:
My stepfather made me pack up all 7500+ of my comics and go with him when he took them to the city dump.I was 14. I ran away from home a few weeks later and never went back home until my Grandfather died in '95 (it was more than just the comics, he was an abusive prikk as well, denied me everything that I was good at or that made me happy)Stayed away from comic collecting until about Sep 2006. I would still read newsstand books occasionally but couldn't stomach trying to collect again until a couple of years ago.
That really blows, Thomas. I'm not sure how you feel toward him now, but if that was me I would have grabbed a 2x4 and left him at the dump. The way you tell it, that's where he belongs anyway. I had a bit of a rough childhood, but it makes you a better person if you handle it correctly. It appears that you did, so good for you. (thumbs uI was ready to join the club, but that p issed me off so I'll wait until tomorrow. 

Yeah....he's lucky we boardies aren't the type to load up in a van and go run an WHUPPIN' Train on him.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Speak for yourself.. I would have strangled him while he slept. The weakest men are the ones who abuse women and children.