• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FANTASTIC FOUR #1 CLUB

1,062 posts in this topic

The weakest men are the ones who abuse women and children.

You can throw animals in there as well, Pat :mad:

Yea pretty much. I actually think people who torture or beat animals are screwed up as well. But have no issues with hunters.

Pat - Here's one of them. Has some chipping but, as I recall, it's a pretty tight book. The other is going out to the slab farm next week. The 2nd one is in the same grade area, but may have better PQ. It may see a 3.5, if it gets graded on a Friday. :grin:

24mxisg.jpg

Pat - Here's one of them. Has some chipping but, as I recall, it's a pretty tight book. The other is going out to the slab farm next week. The 2nd one is in the same grade area, but may have better PQ. It may see a 3.5, if it gets graded on a Friday. :grin:

24mxisg.jpg

This book looks a lot nicer than a 3.0?? :o

What are the salient deleterious effects (other than what we can see)? And do you agree with the grade?

Nope worked at a comic shop when I was a kid. Also mowed lawns and had a paper route (about $20 bucks a week)...The old man paid me $25 a week in store credit to help bag books, stock shelves, sweep/mop, kept an eye on the kids coming in trying to steal books and eventually let me grade and price books. $45 a week back in the mid to late 70's bought a LOT of comics. Every Birthday and Christmas he would give me an expensive book. Also, any expensive book he would sell to me VERY cheap. I had all the grails by 1979. FF#1 coincidentally was the final one acquired to complete the full run (I think FF was on #209 or 210 back then)

Hurts to talk about it. :cry:

I remember that story and what happen to them. Very depressing. I am just glad your back in the hobby. The boards are richer for it.

I am sorry..never heard the story, what happened that was so bad? If you care to talk about it..

You don't wanna know... :tonofbricks:

Heck, I'd like to know too. Were they stolen, burned up, sold...?

My stepfather made me pack up all 7500+ of my comics and go with him when he

took them to the city dump.

I was 14.

I ran away from home a few weeks later and never went back home until my Grandfather died in '95 (it was more than just the comics, he was an abusive prikk as well, denied me everything that I was good at or that made me happy)

Stayed away from comic collecting until about Sep 2006. I would still read newsstand books occasionally but couldn't stomach trying to collect again until a couple of years ago.

That really blows, Thomas. I'm not sure how you feel toward him now, but if that was me I would have grabbed a 2x4 and left him at the dump. The way you tell it, that's where he belongs anyway. I had a bit of a rough childhood, but it makes you a better person if you handle it correctly. It appears that you did, so good for you. (thumbs u

I was ready to join the club, but that p issed me off so I'll wait until tomorrow.

I appreciate the kind words, but I dealt with my stepfather on a personal level when I went back to Oregon in 1995 to bury my Grandfather. It wasn't pretty. I still get sick to my stomach sometimes when I think about my childhood and some of the BS I endured, but I am at peace with it now and have let it go. He has to deal with his own personal demons himself.

Guys. I will be looking to pick up a copy of FF1 this summer to complete my FF collection.. I'm saving up and hope to have enough $$ for a CGC 3.0 to 5.0 unrestored. I would prefer to find a copy that I can pick up in person at my first major convention, SDCC, but would certainly consider any copy that fits the bill from a trusted seller. Please keep your eyes open and let me know if you know of a suitable copy.

I've never purchased a book this expensive and the 20% Canadian to US $$ premium makes this a difficult purchase for me. I think a number of board sellers would agree that I am a trusted buyer that always pays immediately or when resorting to time payments pays before the time promised. I'm not looking to pay record GPA and I'm not looking to steal this book with a lowball offer. I would hope to pay slightly under average GPA to reflect the absense of auction fees and the absense of paypal if I pay cash.

Silverrich, please let me know what grade the copy you submitted to CGC comes back as.

thanks guys,

dave

24mxisg.jpg

I would love to see the other copy when it returns, and compare the two Rich. And will definately be speaking serious with you about this. As I have already discussed it with Jess. (thumbs u

This book looks a lot nicer than a 3.0?? :o

What are the salient deleterious effects (other than what we can see)? And do you agree with the grade?

To be perfectly honest, Tom, I pretty much expected a bit of a higher grade, but since then, with the knowledge that I think(?) I've aquired, the 3.0 seems to be about right. I was hoping to see 3.5-4.0, but the "guys in charge" make the rules. At the time, I pondered calling for the grader notes, but I try to limit that to grades that make me go hmmmm? hm

Guys. I will be looking to pick up a copy of FF1 this summer to complete my FF collection.. I'm saving up and hope to have enough $$ for a CGC 3.0 to 5.0 unrestored. I would prefer to find a copy that I can pick up in person at my first major convention, SDCC, but would certainly consider any copy that fits the bill from a trusted seller. Please keep your eyes open and let me know if you know of a suitable copy.

I've never purchased a book this expensive and the 20% Canadian to US $$ premium makes this a difficult purchase for me. I think a number of board sellers would agree that I am a trusted buyer that always pays immediately or when resorting to time payments pays before the time promised. I'm not looking to pay record GPA and I'm not looking to steal this book with a lowball offer. I would hope to pay slightly under average GPA to reflect the absense of auction fees and the absense of paypal if I pay cash.

Silverrich, please let me know what grade the copy you submitted to CGC comes back as.

thanks guys,

dave

Hi Dave - I really haven't decided yet if I'm going to sell the extra copies at this time. If I do, Pat (Resurrection) has first dibs on his choice. I do have a 3rd low-grade copy that's in consignment right now, but I may be taking back for submission. If (and when) I decide to sell any of the books, I'll contact you and we'll take it from there.

If you have any concerns about me, I can provide a reference from quite a few respected boardies and dealers, in that event. I recently sold my AF 15 under copy to Dale Roberts and he was very happy with it, and most books that I would sell here would be slabbed with large scans. I tell you this because I don't attend SDCC, and rarely get to Edmonton. :) Thanks for your interest.

Rich

thanks guys,

dave

Hi Dave - I really haven't decided yet if I'm going to sell the extra copies at this time. If I do, Pat (Resurrection) has first dibs on his choice. I do have a 3rd low-grade copy that's in consignment right now, but I may be taking back for submission. If (and when) I decide to sell any of the books, I'll contact you and we'll take it from there.

If you have any concerns about me, I can provide a reference from quite a few respected boardies and dealers, in that event. I recently sold my AF 15 under copy to Dale Roberts and he was very happy with it, and most books that I would sell here would be slabbed with large scans. I tell you this because I don't attend SDCC, and rarely get to Edmonton. :) Thanks for your interest.

Rich

Hi Rich. I consider you a quality seller, no problems there. I wasn't trying to steal a copy from Pat, he certainly is ahead of me in line. Please let me know when you have a copy for sale. Thanks.