• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Locke & Key appreciation thread
2 2

2,982 posts in this topic

Lebowski?
Yes, I gave you one of the better Grave Tales #6's, because it has the Goon in it :foryou:.

Gimme another one. :baiting:

:signfunny:

I ain't laughin', yankee.

It's kinda' funny :gossip:.

I was just funnin' with ya, yankee! Come 'ere!

big-brother-google-noogie.jpg

Get a room :eyeroll:

Think Harry Potter meets Scream (thumbs u

I dunno if that's the best description to get a new reader on the series :)

Here's a great source - scroll down and click on chapter 21 in the left column

http://idwpublishing.com/idwx/

I'm surprised to read some didn't enjoy Head Games as much as Welcome to Lovecraft. Head Games #6 is one of the best issues in the series.

Think Harry Potter meets Scream (thumbs u

I dunno if that's the best description to get a new reader on the series :)

Here's a great source - scroll down and click on chapter 21 in the left column

http://idwpublishing.com/idwx/

I'm surprised to read some didn't enjoy Head Games as much as Welcome to Lovecraft. Head Games #6 is one of the best issues in the series.

Sorry, I lived in West Hollywood for three years, it's how we described any movie or book. It just came out, out of instinct. I'm sorry Danny, you can also click on my set for a detailed intro and issue analysis of each book :)

Has anybody seen the production error on all the Locke & Key #4 variants from the 2009 SDCC Slipcase series?

A graded 2009 SDCC Slipcase series Head Games #4 variant.

101.jpg

It's has some ghosting from another image on the bottom of it.

102.jpg

The regular variant to #4(on bottom) does not have this though.

103.jpg

This is a tell tale sign of it being a SDCC Slipcase book. I have never owned a variant of a variant before, but I know this is a must own for any Locke & Key collector who wants one, from a hundred copy print run.

Jerel - quit being a showoff with all those 9.9's and 10's :baiting:

You have single handedly piqued my interest in this series. Just read the first issue of the first book and am very intrigued by what I read. Definately looking forward to catching up to the present point in the series.

My thoughts with a little spoiler. I know the first issue of the first book has been out for some time, but I don't want to ruin it for anyone else that hasn't read it.

In the first issue, the oldest son completely lost himself in violence trying to protect his siblings/family and witnesses his mother's violence in trying to protect her family. What made it worse was that the two men/teenagers that attacked his parents were his friends and said the reason they did it was because he asked them too... in a manner of speaking.

The story struck a chord with me because I've been pretty violent in the past trying to protect my family and would do so again.

The supernatural element at the tail end of the story left me intrigued

Edited by shortstack comics

My thoughts with a little spoiler. I know the first issue of the first book has been out for some time, but I don't want to ruin it for anyone else that hasn't read it.

In the first issue, the oldest son completely lost himself in violence trying to protect his siblings/family and witnesses his mother's violence in trying to protect her family. What made it worse was that the two men/teenagers that attacked his parents were his friends and said the reason they did it was because he asked them too... in a manner of speaking.

The story struck a chord with me because I've been pretty violent in the past trying to protect my family and would do so again.

The supernatural element at the tail end of the story left me intrigued

I couldn't believe something like that could happen with teenagers. Until it happened in the town next to me last year :( . It made Locke & Key #1 all the more chilling.

union leader

This is a tell tale sign of it being a SDCC Slipcase book. I have never owned a variant of a variant before, but I know this is a must own for any Locke & Key collector who wants one, from a hundred copy print run.

I never noticed that before. I just checked mine and it hast the same ghosting. Now I wish I would have SS it.

I never noticed that before. I just checked mine and it hast the same ghosting.

:headbang:

I'll have another type issue variant fun fact tomorrow :popcorn: .

Jerel and The Case of The Phantom Locke & Key #4 Second Print.

I am a completist with this title, so I have to have two of these for a reason.

DSC091051.jpg

It's a little known fact Locke & Key #4 went into second printing and was released on Memorial Day week May 29, 2008. I read this article on artist Gabriel Rodriguez's boards, http://gr-online.blogspot.com/2008/05/locke-key-4-sold-out-too.html, and wasn't surprised to see another heaping pile of Locke & Key #4 books the following week in the new release racks all over New England.

What confuses me is the fact, when I first picked it up, I noticed right away it did not have the usual "2nd Print" indicator on the front cover of a red eye in the IDW symbol. I opened up a copy and it said "1st Print" in the indicia too. I went store to store in the tri-state area, hearing that these were new second prints. I passed on them, because I really didn't want to clutter my set with second prints, and because they all had bent top staples.

Than one day a reputable seller sold me a CGC 9.9 #4 SS book. I have had gotten a CGC 10.0 of #4 already and was at the time building a Signature Series set. When I was comparing the two, I noticed a difference in contrast on the covers, which happens in printing. The first print one I got on May 14, 2008 had a pinker background, but the other one had a lighter background. But then I noticed, the top bent staple. Upon comparing the two, I noticed an entire different staple allignment too. I grabbed my #4 reader copy that day and went out to places all over gathering them up.

When I compare my first print reader copy on the right, to a copy similar to the SS book, I had gotten on the left, you can see a different contrast of background color.

DSC080161.jpg

Then you can see different staple allignment between my reader copy on top, to the copies on bottom.

DSC080172.jpg

A staple allignment that is common with the "2nd Prints" of this title.

I emailed IDW Publishing twice and they have denied a second print run for this issue. CGC is unable to call it a second print because of it having first print in it's indicia and cannot call it a "Manufacturer Error" variant because it scored a perfect 10.

So if you have one of these "First Print" #4 books with bent staples, staples in allignment of a "2nd Print" and a lighter front cover, chances are you have a genuine oddity in your collection.

...and what was the comic book where the Locke children appeared in an all new 5 page story, that wasn't a Locke & Key book?

IDW: 10 Year Anniversary Comic Book Sampler to the IDW: First 10 Years book set that came out last year.

LKpreview1.jpg

Hill-IDW10-03.jpg

It tells the story of Bode finding the IDW key doh! .

LKMini1.jpg

LKMini2.jpg

LKMini3.jpg

LKMini4.jpg

LKMini5.jpg

LKMini5001.jpg