O'Barr's "The Crow" love
12 12

2,579 posts in this topic

2,420 posts
2 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

 

lol and I finally just broke down and bought a Caliber Presents #1 yesterday, he is on the back cover though..... idk I'm probably in the boat that since CP#1 is more readily available it is cheaper...mine's not signed either lol 

C'mon make me feel better about it lol :jokealert:

Congrats!  Still a wonderful book. I will keep my eye on purchasing a nice copy in the future...Please show us once you get it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 posts
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

 

lol and I finally just broke down and bought a Caliber Presents #1 yesterday, he is on the back cover though..... idk I'm probably in the boat that since CP#1 is more readily available it is cheaper...mine's not signed either lol 

C'mon make me feel better about it lol :jokealert:

Don't listen to me!  I'm just a big jerk :).  Caliber Presents #1 is an awesome comic and is credited as the first appearance.  You eally can't go wrong with either and both are climbing in price.  This is from 2016, but is a great article.  And this was when prices were quite a bit cheaper even:  https://comicbookinvest.com/2016/11/18/the-crow/

 

Edited by Matt Ramsey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 posts
Posted (edited)

I'm hoping to get an opinion about a grade.  I have been looking for a high-grade raw copy of Crow 3 tundra (9.8 realm) and recently acquired a very very clean copy.   The ever so thin spine that holds the title is slightly off center and so looking down on the book, a small portion of the title has rolled onto the front cover (if that makes sense).  Beyond that the book is tight, appears unread, all corners are sharp and if held to the right light/angle there are a total of 2-3 light pressure marks on the spine's edge (on front and back that don't break paint).  Because this is all black, i imagine it may be tough to find in high grade, but would greatly appreciate opinions as to whether this could potentially return as a 9.8

Thanks in advance for your input!

Edited by Matt Ramsey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42,283 posts
12 hours ago, Matt Ramsey said:

Don't listen to me!  I'm just a big jerk :).  Caliber Presents #1 is an awesome comic and is credited as the first appearance.  You eally can't go wrong with either and both are climbing in price.  This is from 2016, but is a great article.  And this was when prices were quite a bit cheaper even:  https://comicbookinvest.com/2016/11/18/the-crow/

 

It's not "credited" as the first appearance. It is the first appearance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 posts
7 hours ago, seanfingh said:

It's not "credited" as the first appearance. It is the first appearance.

ya, I used credited because there are earlier books with the pic of the crow on the back, so I don't know what constitutes a first appearance.  I would think Deadworld 10 would get that honor, but would we call that the "first sighting"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,804 posts
27 minutes ago, Matt Ramsey said:

ya, I used credited because there are earlier books with the pic of the crow on the back, so I don't know what constitutes a first appearance.  I would think Deadworld 10 would get that honor, but would we call that the "first sighting"?

I think that there are actual story pages in caliber presents 1... not just the back cover....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 posts
2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I think that there are actual story pages in caliber presents 1... not just the back cover....

you're correct.  I believe it's a few pages from the Crow 1.  just sort of to give folks a taste for what was about to come out (if I'm understanding its purpose correctly)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,804 posts
1 minute ago, Matt Ramsey said:

you're correct.  I believe it's a few pages from the Crow 1.  just sort of to give folks a taste for what was about to come out (if I'm understanding its purpose correctly)

Cool that's news to me lol

I didn't realize it was the same pages as the crow #1 or a few of them anyway....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 posts
Posted (edited)

Hey, I came across this color portfolio from caliber press from 1990.  .  Anyone have any additional info about this.  Do these come up often? 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/J-O-039-Barr-The-Crow-Color-Portfolio-1990-/273785727675?hash=item3fbee6aabb%3Ag%3AIEcAAOSwyQVcXv~J&nma=true&si=TgUQyMluZwYCHUzeYMoumWwkErs%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

 

 

Edited by Matt Ramsey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42,283 posts
On 3/29/2019 at 7:35 PM, Matt Ramsey said:

ya, I used credited because there are earlier books with the pic of the crow on the back, so I don't know what constitutes a first appearance.  I would think Deadworld 10 would get that honor, but would we call that the "first sighting"?

That came off as more acerbic than I intended - probably because of the trend to retrofit "coming soon" blurbs and ads as first appearances.  Sorry about that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 posts
10 hours ago, seanfingh said:

That came off as more acerbic than I intended - probably because of the trend to retrofit "coming soon" blurbs and ads as first appearances.  Sorry about that.

You're good, bud!  I dig your vocab :).  You had a good point to be made.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,804 posts
On 3/28/2019 at 11:15 AM, Wolverinex said:

Congrats!  Still a wonderful book. I will keep my eye on purchasing a nice copy in the future...Please show us once you get it!

New this week! :banana: it's bananas lol

 

20190403_144354.jpg

20190403_144309.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,420 posts
2 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

New this week! :banana: it's bananas lol

 

20190403_144354.jpg

20190403_144309.jpg

Congrats! That's a beauty! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,804 posts
48 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Congrats! That's a beauty! 

Thanks! I appreciate it ;)

It's not my proudest 9.4 lol

It has a questionable corner that I think must have been pressed to get the 9.4.... :eek:

also I don't know if you can see it in the pic, but it has a white line on the back near the crows right cheek.... I don't know if it is on the Mylar or book, it doesn't appear to be on the slab...

I'm happy for now, but like I said not my proudest 9.4 lol

makes that return of Wolvie that you gave me for Christmas look like a 9.8 for sure, so there is that lol but I have hopes for a quick 5 book modern sub I have going on....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 posts

Another chance at that caliber presents #1 9.8 that sold for almost 1450 about a month ago. The seller relisted on ebay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46,483 posts
On 3/28/2019 at 6:49 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

 

lol and I finally just broke down and bought a Caliber Presents #1 yesterday, he is on the back cover though..... idk I'm probably in the boat that since CP#1 is more readily available it is cheaper...mine's not signed either lol 

C'mon make me feel better about it lol :jokealert:

Great buy. Now try to find high grade copies of Crow 1-4 , just a tad harder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,804 posts
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

Great buy. Now try to find high grade copies of Crow 1-4 , just a tad harder.

Ya One of my better LCS had raw copies recently, but they were already signed and raw :( .... same with when I saw them at Half Price Books long time ago.

I'll be on the Look Out :) 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
12 12