O'Barr's "The Crow" love
10 10

2,696 posts in this topic

On 4/19/2020 at 6:00 AM, Supraman16 said:

My little collection. Not the highest grades but I got these years ago. Maybe I’ll upgrade some of the issues later on to higher grades but I’m pretty happy with the set currently. 

0625C418-68B0-450B-9E5C-E09661C6CB4D.jpeg

B57B4731-BA5C-4329-90BB-39339091D4BD.jpeg

9258CCC3-5DFA-4B77-B0C2-08AAAD8F9AFF.jpeg

F92A4735-E81F-4197-A5E5-605CE0D7DDA1.jpeg

D92C6F8D-B20F-4F31-AE85-6FD5ECB9F9C3.jpeg

That Deadworld🥰

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Parabellum said:

Thank you for sharing @Jugger Grimrod.  That’s is quite an amazing piece of work right there.  You’re absolutely right about owning any of the original books 9.8.  Definitely hard to come by and worth every penny.  My 9.8 set is hands down a keeper.

No problem, thanks for the kind words. Yeah I am looking forward to sending mine in to CBCS, I know the signatures are authentic, but it is something that needs to be done and I don't mind. I will have mine pressed before grading but my #1 raw looks pretty amazing on it's own so hopefully a pressing is enough to bump it up as well. I am waiting on the pandemic to ease down as the shipping carriers are overloaded and packages are going missing or taking longer to arrive with staff being out and distribution hubs especially for the USPS being closed. Also CBCS has a new case which should be out now and want to make sure I get the latest and greatest they have to offer when it comes to the case. Congrats on the 9.8 I have been watching how they have been going up and up on the secondary market.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So I was 15 when the movie came out, target demo lol I was already a Brandon Lee fan after Showdown in Little Tokyo and Rapid Fire, so I was looking forward to his next film.  Even better, it was filming in my town of Wilmington.  I remember sitting on the couch, doing my homework one afternoon, and the local news came on that there was an accident and Brandon had died in our local hospital.  I just couldn't believe it. 

Well the movie came out and I feel in love.  Poster on the wall, drawing The Crow myself, painting my face for Halloween etc etc. As a wrestling fan as well, Sting kept the look alive, which was also great.  Finally read the original mini in college, since the library had a copy of the trade. I read some of the sequels as they came out but the film and the original O'Barr story is what stuck with me. 

Fast forward to a few weeks ago, I find out my wife has never seen the film.  So we watch it, and I fall in love again. Picked up the deluxe HC to read again, the Brandon Lee Hot Toys for the shelf, and start looking at the comics.

I've bought and sold countless keys over there the years (many here!) but never owned the original mini from O'Barr.  So now its time to start!  This post is to see how long it takes, and looks like I have some reading on this great thread to catch up on.

Link to post
Share on other sites

And done lol

Once I decided I was not going for 9.8 it got a lot easier. I love ya Eric but I have a lot of different collecting focus!

Caught a few good deals on eBay which helped. #1 is a 3rd print and 2-4 are first. 

After reading the deluxe HC, it was great to flip through these and see the old newsprint. And then see the story just stop yet sorta end at issue 4.  Does anyone collect the Tundra reprints? 

Anyway here they are. Maybe I'll shoot for a first print one day. A raw sold a few days ago for $1,000

IMG_20200609_125414.thumb.jpg.4647a77a656f211cbf9c0802845c0743.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, StingerMcK said:

And done lol

Once I decided I was not going for 9.8 it got a lot easier. I love ya Eric but I have a lot of different collecting focus!

Caught a few good deals on eBay which helped. #1 is a 3rd print and 2-4 are first. 

After reading the deluxe HC, it was great to flip through these and see the old newsprint. And then see the story just stop yet sorta end at issue 4.  Does anyone collect the Tundra reprints? 

Anyway here they are. Maybe I'll shoot for a first print one day. A raw sold a few days ago for $1,000

IMG_20200609_125414.thumb.jpg.4647a77a656f211cbf9c0802845c0743.jpg

Well that's a good looking set, for sure.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/25/2020 at 6:20 PM, Parabellum said:

Damn, these books are beautiful in 9.8.  I’m glad I took this project on.

7E43594D-4FC8-4146-B45A-70CF85E140F5.jpeg

Wow! That is fear to behold. (worship)

I cant even look at your picture too long, its like looking at the sun🙈

Edited by oakman29
Fear? I meant a feat to behold.
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2020 at 1:00 PM, StingerMcK said:

And done lol

Once I decided I was not going for 9.8 it got a lot easier. I love ya Eric but I have a lot of different collecting focus!

Caught a few good deals on eBay which helped. #1 is a 3rd print and 2-4 are first. 

After reading the deluxe HC, it was great to flip through these and see the old newsprint. And then see the story just stop yet sorta end at issue 4.  Does anyone collect the Tundra reprints? 

Anyway here they are. Maybe I'll shoot for a first print one day. A raw sold a few days ago for $1,000

IMG_20200609_125414.thumb.jpg.4647a77a656f211cbf9c0802845c0743.jpg

I collect the tundra reprints as well.  I have a couple sets of those.  I pick them up when I see them at a decent price and in good condition.  I would also like a full set of those in 9.8.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

This set has been soaring and I'm thinking those clamoring for the entire series will only continue to pick up steam.  In terms of best bang for your buck while supplies last in higher grades, I have to think the Crow #3 in 9.6 is the steal.  In the past few months a few in 9.8 have sold, the most recent today at 2k!  The 9.6s are at around the 2-300 mark.  #1 continues to break records, but once you buy this book, you can't help but fall down the completionist rabbit hole

Edited by This is Who We Are
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, when a crow 1 9.6 pgx commands 1250 bucks and gets plucked not long after it goes live.  Granted, it was signed and has artwork on the back by O'barr, but in the CGC world, this would be a green label if I'm not mistaken and as far as actual grade??? Who knows, maybe PGX got it right.(shrug)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-CROW-1-PGX-9-6-Signed-Sketch-by-Jim-OBarr-White-pgs-CROW-1/233654943313?hash=item3666eb7e51:g:3e8AAOSwwC9fFNTr

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2020 at 10:06 PM, This is Who We Are said:

Wow, when a crow 1 9.6 pgx commands 1250 bucks and gets plucked not long after it goes live.  Granted, it was signed and has artwork on the back by O'barr, but in the CGC world, this would be a green label if I'm not mistaken and as far as actual grade??? Who knows, maybe PGX got it right.(shrug)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-CROW-1-PGX-9-6-Signed-Sketch-by-Jim-OBarr-White-pgs-CROW-1/233654943313?hash=item3666eb7e51:g:3e8AAOSwwC9fFNTr

 

That's a gorgeous book- I'm no expert, but I thought it was every bit of a 9.6 from what I could see. Not surprised that sold for what it did, especially with the sketch & signature.

 

The 9.2 blue label that just sold for over a grand? That, I didn't see coming 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Legion of Goom said:

 

That's a gorgeous book- I'm no expert, but I thought it was every bit of a 9.6 from what I could see. Not surprised that sold for what it did, especially with the sketch & signature.

 

The 9.2 blue label that just sold for over a grand? That, I didn't see coming 

The prior sale for a 9.2 was $650 , i think the 9.8 $3,000 sale and the fact that many people are holding their copies is helping this book to rise in value. Dont be surprised if the next 9.4 sells for $1500 or more 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
10 10