• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

O'Barr's "The Crow" love
7 7

2,754 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, This is Who We Are said:

It's an incredible ride for sure (outside of 9.8 which has commanded around 3k and up pretty consistently over the past year or two).  A comic book investment site showed the Crow #1 some much deserved love recently rating it 67 on the list of desirable comics in 2020.

https://www.sellmycomicbooks.com/hot-comics-the-crow-1.html

I noticed that right after/not long after, the lower grades (by lower, I mean 8.5 to 9.6 began to rocket).  9.4s in March were going for around 400 I believe and 9.6s for 8-900...Not today....not today.  And I still think the 9 to 9.6s of the other three in the caliber series (2-4) have yet to come close to being fully realized with Crow 3 for example at 2k in 9.8 and selling at 9.6 for around 10% of that amount at 200ish.  I'm surprised that GoCollect hasn't shown the Crow much attention

The 9.6's were the sweet spot as far as value went...a 4x multiplier for Crow #1 between 9.6 and 9.8 seemed a bit high, so it was bound to narrow once people saw the 9.8 prices weren't a fluke. As you mentioned with #3, it's even wider now for that one.

There's also been talk of (yet again) a movie remake. I'm not holding my breath on it...but it wouldn't surprise me if some of the price spike was people trying to get ahead of it on the off chance it actually gets made this time

15 hours ago, This is Who We Are said:

It's an incredible ride for sure (outside of 9.8 which has commanded around 3k and up pretty consistently over the past year or two).  A comic book investment site showed the Crow #1 some much deserved love recently rating it 67 on the list of desirable comics in 2020.

https://www.sellmycomicbooks.com/hot-comics-the-crow-1.html

I noticed that right after/not long after, the lower grades (by lower, I mean 8.5 to 9.6 began to rocket).  9.4s in March were going for around 400 I believe and 9.6s for 8-900...Not today....not today.  And I still think the 9 to 9.6s of the other three in the caliber series (2-4) have yet to come close to being fully realized with Crow 3 for example at 2k in 9.8 and selling at 9.6 for around 10% of that amount at 200ish.  I'm surprised that GoCollect hasn't shown the Crow much attention

The "sell my comic books" site is good but we don`t need a hot list to know that the book is amazing , the cover is a beauty , the character is amazing , low print run for a copper age book and one of the best super heroes movies in my opinion. One of the best soundtracks from the 90`s i still listen it from time to time. 

Edited by Mijael.Levy

11 hours ago, Mijael.Levy said:

The "sell my comic books" site is good but we don`t need a hot list to know that the book is amazing , the cover is a beauty , the character is amazing , low print run for a copper age book and one of the best super heroes movies in my opinion. One of the best soundtracks from the 90`s i still listen it from time to time. If you compare 

Couldn't agree more.  Just noticed the correlation, which may have brought renewed attention to old fans or perhaps new attention to those who weren't aware the movie was (loosely) tethered to an incredible comic. 

I had an 8.5 that I purchased raw a few years ago for cheap.   Got it graded afterwards.   Upgraded by buying a 9.6 just two days ago off of eBay.   Count me in as a believer in this book.   About a 10,000 print run compared to Albedo 2’s 2,000 print run but much more of a known entity thanks to the early 90’s movie.   I used to watch that movie on repeat as a 10 year old on paper view on an illegal box.   I’m sure I wasn’t the only one lol    It was great, dark, and goth and the Brandon Lee tragedy tie in just made it that much more tragic.  

8 hours ago, Legion of Goom said:

Finally completed my run! That second #1 is the third printing, which was, by far, the hardest to track down in high grade. It just happened to be dumb luck that it went up on Ebay around last Thanksgiving and flew completely under the radar.

6.jpg

viber_image_2020-07-31_14-46-55.jpg

Hey Nice Looking Set! :)

Old_dano I was the buyer.  8,000 before taxes.   I’m a believer in this book (and the set).   So much so, I look at it as the number three copper book.   TMNT 1.  Albedo 2.  Third spot has been up for debate for some time and Cerebus and Bone have obviously been part of the discussion, but for me, this is the one!

2 hours ago, Sam 1983 said:

Old_dano I was the buyer.  8,000 before taxes.   I’m a believer in this book (and the set).   So much so, I look at it as the number three copper book.   TMNT 1.  Albedo 2.  Third spot has been up for debate for some time and Cerebus and Bone have obviously been part of the discussion, but for me, this is the one!

I agree with that. The Crow is such an underrated book.

In my opinion one of the best stories in all comics. Too bad Mr. O'Barr had to lose the love of his life over it, but we benefit from his pain by him writing a brilliant story.

19 hours ago, Sam 1983 said:

Congrats, thats a beautiful set!

I once asked James O'Barr if he was aware of the Crow reference in the movie The Fifth Element.

He said he wasn't and it made me think I was wrong about it, but the sushi vendor that sells Bruce Willis's character lunch at his window definitely says, "Grandfather say, 'It never rain every day.'"

On 9/10/2020 at 3:44 AM, Sam 1983 said:

I was wondering who picked up that set.  Congrats!

I just got in a group of high grade Crow comics.  Both issues of #1 are 2nd print and I wasn't sure the the print runs were available.  Seems like the later printings pricing doesn't drop off as much as TMNT or some others.

Ed

Edited by ft88

Just out of curiosity, why is Crow 1 considered the key over Caliber Presents 1?  Just because it gets the cover, or is it notably rarer?  Or am wrong in thinking it gets priority?

I should dig out my copies; I have a 2nd print on #1 but at least one or two of the books are signed...

41 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

Just out of curiosity, why is Crow 1 considered the key over Caliber Presents 1?  Just because it gets the cover, or is it notably rarer?  Or am wrong in thinking it gets priority?

I should dig out my copies; I have a 2nd print on #1 but at least one or two of the books are signed...

Both.

Caliber Presents would be worth more than it is if the front and back covers were swapped, and there'd be less of them on the market. 

Crow #1 is rarer, but the effect is also amplified because collectors are less likely to sell thanks to that iconic cover.