• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Unofficial Underground Comix thread...
14 14

2,301 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, OtherEric said:

Added today.  GCD claims this is the 2nd print, but other sources point to it being the 1st.  Can anybody verify either way?

Cheech_Wizard_s.jpg

The Kennedy guide makes the claim that the first was 'believed' to have a 50 cent cover price. 'Believed' being the operative word....and it looks like GCD is a believer! It's a snipe hunt, to be sure, and the 75 cent copy is indeed the first. I bought it when it originally came out, and it was 75 cents. pay no attention to that GCD. Later printings have a $1.00 price.

5 minutes ago, wpbooks01 said:

The Kennedy guide makes the claim that the first was 'believed' to have a 50 cent cover price. 'Believed' being the operative word....and it looks like GCD is a believer! It's a snipe hunt, to be sure, and the 75 cent copy is indeed the first. I bought it when it originally came out, and it was 75 cents. pay no attention to that GCD. Later printings have a $1.00 price.

Thank you!  Somebody probably confused it with this book.  (I got this one a couple months ago or so; glad to have both the issues.  Image edited for board standards.)

Cheech_Wizard_edited.jpg

7 hours ago, wpbooks01 said:

Thank you for this. I have edited the information on the GCD.

There was a Cheech Wizard comix that someone in the old boards claimed to have found an edition that had a phone number on the inside front cover, that nobody else has seen, if I recall correctly.  Maybe one of the others can recall the book and more info. on it.

6 hours ago, 50 Cent #II (1st) said:

There was a Cheech Wizard comix that someone in the old boards claimed to have found an edition that had a phone number on the inside front cover, that nobody else has seen, if I recall correctly.  Maybe one of the others can recall the book and more info. on it.

My copy has the number on the IFC as well.

There is a 1st print Cheech. It has a different front inside. I bought it from Jay Rogers  (Bonzai) who got it from Kennedy. If 50 will send me an email, I will send him a scan. I have trouble up loading pics to this site and at this point, I do not care to learn.

Btw, I am liquidating (at non-givaway prices) about half my collection. I am keeping, Corben, Crumb,  and the Illustrated checklist. This does mean that I do not have duplicates in these categories. 50 can tell you what he seen me bring to SD. I have a list of about 800 Kennedy minis and off the cuffs made up. Email and I will send you a list. You can get my info from the Kennedy or any of Fogel Guides

Edited by Corben Fan

I’d like to try something here that might be fun.

I acquired a comic jam OA piece from the Eric Sack collection. The jam was organized by John Burnham during the 1974 Berkeley Comic Con. There are several sketches on the piece that are not signed, for which I can’t figure out who sketched it, and one that is signed but I can’t make out the signature. Most of the artists on the piece are underground (which is why I chose this forum topic initially) but a few are above ground. Many artists sketched one of their signature characters. I figured that with the extensive experience and brain power of the members here, you might enjoy a challenge to see who can arrive at the most plausible solutions for the mystery artists. Solutions can be offered by verbal response, and/or by uploading other art by the proposed mystery artist that closely resembles the unsigned sketch, or in the case of the illegible signature, a comparable signature. I have been lurking on this forum and the prior discontinued UG forum for years so I know about most of the major players herein. I’ve been impressed by your vast in-depth expertise and appreciate all the knowledge you have imparted to the community.

I contacted Eric Sack for his opinions but he was not able to offer any insight. I have reviewed the Tales from the Berkeley Con comic book, the program book from the 1973 Berkeley Con, my comic collection, and looked all over the internet but have only been able to solve one other mystery signature – that of Sheridan Anderson.

Here is the list of the jam artists that have been verified either by their signature, or in the absence of a signature, by one of their signature characters. So these should be excluded from the proposed mystery artists: V. Bode, F. Brunner, J. Burnham, G. Colwell, D. Geiser, A. Kupperberg, J. Lynch, K. Deitch, J. Kinney, G. Hallgren, C. Dallas, D. O’Neill, G. Hudson, L. Fountain, L. Welz, Spain, V. Moscoso, G. Shelton, L. Todd, N. Smith, C. Rogers, S. Mouse, L. Marrs, R. Holmes, S. Englehart, P. Moodian, D. Sheridan, T. Robbins, A. Weiss, S. Anderson.

I appreciate any help you can give!

The below sketch is the one that has a signature but it is illegible. Looks Like "Del hunter" to me but I can’t find anyone with that name or names. The girl could be a heroine, could be drawn by a mainstream artist or UG artist. She is holding a comic called Pencil Bird Funnies. Pencil Bird is a character from Alice in Wonderland. Frank Brunner’s sketch on the jam is of The Man-Thing chasing a Pencil Bird so maybe that was some inspiration for this sketch. Or maybe vice versa since I don’t know which sketch was done first.

PencilbirdFunnies.jpg.024b29d4f74c965163b9b7cb32275b8f.jpg

To me this looks like it could be a Crumb sketch, given the duck-turtle subject matter, the putt-putt tail exhaust, and the somewhat-crosshatch and fine line detail. But I can’t find any record of his attendance at the ‘74 Berkeley Con.

DuckTurtle.jpg.eb7f8b0a841742886521eb0882848707.jpg

Seems like I have seen a wolf in glasses somewhere before, but this one is not Ted Richards’ because he drew his signature E.Z. Wolf elsewhere on the jam.

5aaeb3d9e01e6_WolfinGlasses.jpg.e54e0bca73be610e3536cc7bba25c424.jpg

Looks a little like O’Neill but he already has a sketch elsewhere.

5aaeb40a0d7b0_ArtMan.jpg.691f7c8527afc47f7bbaa9821867660f.jpg

An interesting style.

5aaeb4624ce37_Squaredogs.jpg.4ce5a65579d9d55f05e05c4409acb6ed.jpg

Hi

is this topic a remnants of the dedicated board on Undeground Comix which disappearead a few years back?

That was a pity, it was a very interesting board, plenty of interesting, very competent  people.

cheers

mario

ps by mistake, I started a new topic with this msg, my intent was to partecipate to this one, which seems to be more a board for UG comix collectors  than a single topic, doesn't it?

Edited by ug18

On 3/24/2018 at 12:40 PM, ug18 said:

Hi

is this topic a remnants of the dedicated board on Undeground Comix which disappearead a few years back?

That was a pity, it was a very interesting board, plenty of interesting, very competent  people.

cheers

mario

ps by mistake, I started a new topic with this msg, my intent was to partecipate to this one, which seems to be more a board for UG comix collectors  than a single topic, doesn't it?

Yes, this is what remains of that forum. And it is a pity that it was lost. That seems to be the fate of every forum dedicated to underground comix that I've been a part of, in some way: crashes, data loss, migrations, closures, etc.

I am looking for guidance about horizontal folds in UG newspapers and other over sized material.

1) Would I be correct in assuming that the FUGG pricing guideline would always reference unfolded materials in the higher conditions?  Even if 9/10 examples for sale are folded?

2) What would be the penalty for a crisp neat fold on a VF items - VG or lower, like a comic?

I struggle with this one because of the range of likelihood that an items would be folded.  Some items always seem to be folded, while others only occasionally appear on the marketplace folded.  I guess the likelihood of finding one with a fold depended on who did the folding: the printer, the store or the collector.

I realize that there will always be freak (unfolded) example, eventually posted in the marketplace, but is that what the FUGG pricing aiming for?  Take Funny Papers as an example, being a newspaper, nearly all examples are folded without exception - probably shipped that way to the sales point.  But I believe I that I have seen one unfolded example for sale.  Is that one unfolded example the 9.2 referenced by the FUGG and the hundreds of other copies are 4.0 or lower?

What about something more pricey like Yarrowstalks?  It seems to be folded about half the time - probably by the store to get it to fit into a rack.  Would a sharp example of #1 or #2, only fetch below $100, instead of $250 as stated in the guide for FN/VF.  Seems weird to me.

Update: I had a brief discussion with the Reverend and he believes that the condition/pricing in the FUGG is inclusive of undamaged, neat folds and that folds (in general) have little effect on pricing.

Edited by CDNComix

The Head Comix page from Yarrowstalks #2 sold via Heritage last week for $143K.  Is this a record for a single regular page (non-cover) of Underground Comix art?  How about non-splash page regular comic art?  Seems like a lot of money for a single regular page that isn't a cover?

Edited by 50 Cent #II (1st)

San Diego con is coming soon.  I am hoping to have a list of ugs for sale to be given out at the show. As you   know, my wife recently dies and my cataloging is amiss. But I am working on stuff. If there is any thing you are looking for email me at the email listed in my ad in any of the Fogel guides. Look for underground vault of Dr. Scheiman created by Lynch. If you are not going to the show, I will email you the list if you contact me.