• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Unofficial Underground Comix thread...
14 14

2,279 posts in this topic

Underground Comix are known for using different prices, covers (art or color variations) and interior content to distinguish different printings.

1st print from Apex Novelties, October 1968 has 0.25 USD cover price. Has single image across pages 10-11.
2nd print has 0.25 USD cover price. Image is now printed sideways on page 11. Another image added to page 10.
3rd print has 0.25 USD cover price. Page four image now has "Git Whitey".
In 1972 Print Mint took over production, moving the actual printing to a commercial printing plant.
4th print June 1972 and 5th print (1973) both have 0.50 USD cover price and said to be indistiguiable from each other.
6th print 1973 has 0.75 USD cover price.

Maybe of interest to some?  RebelVisions?

was reading Richard Orton newsletter today on Santa Monica history and in the new #13 issue (you can subscribe for free at Laxlon@aol.com) he interviews the owner of a famous bar in SM, now closed, called the Oar House.  In one of the books about Underground Comix history it mentions a group of Underground artist, including R. Crumb, coming down from San Francisco to do a mural in the Oar House.  In the news letter, it talks about a fire in 1973 and how a group of artists helped to fix the place and it reopened 6 weeks after the fire.  Pretty sure this are related.  On Facebook I’ve seen some pics of menus and advertisements that could be the work of some of those artists?  But then again, I read also on Facebook that they did a remodel with artists shortly before the fire and that some pieces of art were salvaged after the fire and one had a S. Clay Wilson signature.  So who knows?  Does this have a Griffin Surftoons feel/style to it to anyone else? (Buffalo Chips was the restaurant next door owned by the same person.)  it’s by Tony Bell, who’s name sounds familiar, but I can’t recall why at the moment.  Something to do with early Underground Comix college magazines maybe?  Now where’s that pic. of the menu I saw on Facebook?

23BB9218-CE61-471B-B08C-70FD02ADDBC5.jpeg

Edited by 50 Cent #II (1st)

So, I just received confirmation that most of the Underground art was destroyed in the fire, so they weren’t part of the 1974 art crew that helped repair the fire damage (and was told they weren’t part of the 1973 remodel).  He estimated the art was from the late 60’s, but that seems a bit early for the group of Zap that included Robert Williams (thought he join the Zap group around 1970?).  He also confirmed it was the same Tony Bell that did the menu above and the “Spaghetti Tuesday” ad as well as co-creator of Wonder Wart-Hog.

Edited by 50 Cent #II (1st)

On 9/3/2018 at 8:16 AM, Carl Richter said:

Crumb drew the chef and booze menu (front and back covers of menu) but not the interior spread. While researching this I stumbled across a dozen or so low rez photos on a Oar House memories page  with art by some well known people.

Bc_menu.jpg

oar house 12.jpg

oar house 11.jpg

Looking forward to reading your book in November.  I went to the Oar House a couple times in the late 80’s or early 90’s, what a fun place, but who would have thought it held such history I would become so fascinated with later on.

BigTimeComics.thumb.png.f80bd567a38d70f2245d51211b67a868.png

I just got these Big Time Comics, by Michael McMillan. Each is a single, folded sheet, four pages. It seems I miss the fourth off four. Could they be promotional handouts  for his Terminal Comics?

Nice piece on  McMillan at https://comixjoint.com/terminalcomics.html
and a short entry at  https://www.lambiek.net/artists/m/mcmillan_michael.htm

I appreciate if you let me read whatever you may know about McMillian and his comics, included some whereabouts of these three.

cheers

m.

EDIT

nobody?

Edited by ug18

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 11:16 AM, Carl Richter said:

Crumb drew the chef and booze menu (front and back covers of menu) but not the interior spread. While researching this I stumbled across a dozen or so low rez photos on a Oar House memories page  with art by some well known people.

Bc_menu.jpg

oar house 12.jpg

oar house 11.jpg

Back when they had to tell you it was "Italian" spaghetti! I like the 69 cent hard stuff! 31 cent beers!  Man oh man, if this had been next to my college I might have lived there.