• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Unofficial Underground Comix thread...
14 14

2,300 posts in this topic

On 10/10/2018 at 2:19 PM, 50 Cent #II (1st) said:

Anyone see this before?

RCrumbcass.jpg

R.Crumbcassette.jpg

I have the later CD edition from Shel-Tone, I'm guessing this is the original version of the cast recording from R. Crumb: The Musical, and with four cassettes' worth of material, there must be a lot more songs than the ones available on the CD.

3 hours ago, Brother J said:

I have the later CD edition from Shel-Tone, I'm guessing this is the original version of the cast recording from R. Crumb: The Musical, and with four cassettes' worth of material, there must be a lot more songs than the ones available on the CD.

I don't think the 4 cassette's are different, I think they're 4 of the same copies.  Someone was selling a box of these on Etsy and I picked up the last copies.  Think they said they found a box of 200 of them in a closet.

Those original Dirty Plotte #1, 2, and vol. 2 #3 went for a pretty penny.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/DIRTY-PLOTTE-1-1988-MINI-COMIC-FROM-BEFORE-SHE-WAS-FAMOUS/113319959663?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Notice this set of Ron Cobb stuff with set #4 (that I logged in for too late) that sold for in the $50's and the previous ones down to the $30's.  So I made an offer for set #5 for $100 thinking that's more than reasonable, but didn't hear anything back.  Well, seems set #5 sold for $560.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/COLLECTION-LOT-OF-RON-COBB-PRINTS-MOCK-UP-STATS-FOR-AD-MATERIAL-SAWYER-PRESS-5-/292781952751?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l10137

Edited by 50 Cent #II (1st)

I tried earlier in this thread to compile a list of underground/alternative comix that had an insert (whether it was a poster, record, program, map etc.). I think that it has limited value, so I decided to simplify things and concentrate on paired comics that both have a Kennedy number. I am usually ticked when I forget to check the guidebooks or my notes and purchase something without its comic insert. I just noticed another today! Here is a listing of Kennedy listed inserts with their corresponding Kennedy listed carriers. So far there are only four pairs of comics (one inserted into the other) and two collection packs (number of comics sold together in a collector's pack).

One of these days, I am going to have to read the guide from start-to-finish! I guess that Kennedy listed things twice, when an item was also sold separately beyond being an insert.

Please note: Kennedy did not associate Tattooed and Kozmik Star as being together, this comes from Andy Nukes on his michaelroden catalog website.

Inserts 1.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

That Dirty Plotte vol. 2 #3 that was just on eBay had  an insert I believe.

I don't see the Raw issues with Maus that went from #2 to issue 7 or 8?

Didn't one of the Corpsemeat has an insert, or was that already discussed?

Miami Pop Festival had a loose map also.

10 hours ago, 50 Cent #II (1st) said:

That Dirty Plotte vol. 2 #3 that was just on eBay had  an insert I believe.

I don't see the Raw issues with Maus that went from #2 to issue 7 or 8?

Didn't one of the Corpsemeat has an insert, or was that already discussed? 

Hello Guy,

you are correct. There are a lot more inserts than listed in my post from yesterday. There were comics, posters, maps, tickets etc. But most of those inserts did not have their own Kennedy number.

I am just trying to only focus on Kennedy listed comics/packs that also had a Kennedy listed comic insert. The individual Maus booklets are inserts but do not have their own Kennedy number, because they were never intended to be sold separately.  The Dirty Plotte is post Kennedy as is Corpsemeat.

By paying attention to these would cut down on the total number of items one would have to purchase - just buying Jam Pak and the Ground Zero Portfolio would save someone from hunting down 13 individual listed titles Or in my case, if I had bothered to read the guide description before buying "Overload #4" (Kennedy 1471), I would have made sure it still had its "TY" (Kennedy #2083) insert before purchasing it. Now I have to down a copy of "TY".

Edited by CDNComix

31 minutes ago, 50 Cent #II (1st) said:

And about a decade later, after only seeing 2 of these previously in this decade, I happen to come across 2 by the same seller.

T1stP.jpg

Weird to see mycomicshop.com selling underground comix, for the longest time they seemed to avoid doing so. Congratulations! You might want to explain what the significance of these are compared to the other "gray tire" printings.

Thanks!

On one of the old Underground Comix forums, now long gone, that we used to post on, Patrick Rosenkranz invited Dave Moriarty (one of the founders of Rip Off Press, and the guy actually manning the printing press for this cover of the first print of Freak Brothers) to come to the forum and discuss some of his memories.  One of the things he mentioned was that on the first true print of Freak Brothers #1 there was a black smudge (looks like a thin trails of smoke or curved black lightning) on the center of the cover going from Fat Freddy's head to the cops behind and along the wall to the handrail of the staircase that he "fought" to prevent it from getting worse and spreading as the print went through the run, this was something not previously known.  I suspect he meant it's from the first portion of the 1st print, but he said it was the first print (of 5,000 if I recall correctly) that it showed up on and I wasn't going to argue with him since he was the one actually manning the printer.  So, now you know what the black smudge looks like if you see another copy and want a true 1st print. 

Moriarty then was also the one to confirm that Big A s s #1 with the red box (and pages out of order, which was my discovery) was the 1st print, not the white box version (with the pages also out of order, which was only in the first 2 printings).

1 hour ago, 50 Cent #II (1st) said:

Moriarty then was also the one to confirm that Big A s s #1 with the red box (and pages out of order, which was my discovery) was the 1st print, not the white box version (with the pages also out of order).

Yeah, that one I still don't get, I guess the only thing that makes sense is that is was supposed to be a red box the entire time, was a red box for the first printing, somehow got changed to white for the second and then fixed again for the third and later printings. I'm still glad to have my copy with the white box.

I'm glad I no longer have to care about the Big A white box printing, since my interest is only in firsts of UG.....unless there is a significant revision between printings.

I was looking at the listings on Ebay for those two FB 1sts with the ink smudge, and one of those 50 cent price's looks more blue than purple, and the sky's on both look like Moriaty was tweaking the mix a bit at the beginning of the print run.....either that or the fading between the two copies is significant.

15 hours ago, Brother J said:

Weird to see mycomicshop.com selling underground comix, for the longest time they seemed to avoid doing so. Congratulations! You might want to explain what the significance of these are compared to the other "gray tire" printings.

This year I was able to find 'It ain't me babe' Trina Robbins book with others at MCS. I miss very much my old friend Don Donahue who had that amazing underground catalog and mail order sercice! Does anyone out there know where his collection went?

2 minutes ago, flashlites said:

This year I was able to find 'It ain't me babe' Trina Robbins book with others at MCS. I miss very much my old friend Don Donahue who had that amazing underground catalog and mail order sercice! Does anyone out there know where his collection went?

I think I recall that he left it to a couple women he knew.  I know Dan knows who they are and where it went.

4 hours ago, 50 Cent #II (1st) said:

I think I recall that he left it to a couple women he knew.  I know Dan knows who they are and where it went.

Thanks! Next time I see Dan post I'll ask him. I got almost all my UG's from Don. I did not even know about undergrounds until I met Don! Lots of fond memories of him. He was a true friend and a great guy. He could tell you everything about those early runs. I wish I'd written it all down!

5 hours ago, flashlites said:

Buying from Don was great, everything was high grade and the prices were very fair. You could sometimes make out like a bandit with his eBay auctions.