• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Unofficial Underground Comix thread...
14 14

2,300 posts in this topic

On 7/14/2019 at 1:22 PM, oldmilwaukee6er said:

Prices HAVE been low in recent months/years... 

So odd to me that Forbes was in front of this. 

I read this and my stomach sank a little, just like Sandman recently, I just worry somehow it will fail or worse yet nobody cares. I do feel content with what I've collected... Would have liked to secure a HG #2 1st or a nice HG #13 before any runup, but overall I love the Freak Brothers books I have 😄

I don't see how this would be any worse than The Harvey Street Kids.  I have yet to hear how Little Audrey, Dot, and Lotta comics have improved price wise, but the show is good.

Forbes Media is pretty good about these netflix or game news items.

Who watched today's TMZ?  Had a piece about the Freak Brothers series from SDCC.  Adam DeVine is one of the people doing the series.  In L.A. they repeat this evening's episode tomorrow at 1pm on Fox.

Edited by 50 Cent #II (1st)

On 7/23/2019 at 12:38 AM, wpbooks01 said:

A friend of mine was at SDCC and scored one of these for me!image1.thumb.jpeg.ed7c8a88a1aa5ed1a8fa84f71989598f.jpeg

I love reading freak bro comics an I like mr Natural stickers‼️‼️🤔😜😜

8 hours ago, comicwiz said:

This is a repost from January:

Yesterday I watched a Netflix produced television series on a subject that interests me - it mainly covers toys made for the North American consumer market. The series is called The Toys that Made Us. Episode one for season 3 covers Laird and Eastman's Ninja Turtles. I've never really had more than a tepid interest for this toy line, however in one of the early photos of Kevin Eastman, he is seen surrounded by UG comix and mags. I found that part of the segment a bit puzzling since they show this photo and then he talks about the influence comics had on him. I always welcome anyone mentioning Kirby as an influence, but to show that image and not even mention the apparent influence Corben, and even more so, the underground comix movement had on the alternative and independent publishing scene and the eventual formation of Mirage Studios was disappointing. I'm sure the folks who produced this will chalk it up to an editing decision that was absent of historical context, or that it was a choice to cater to a PG 13 audience - it is what it is, but just one of the modern day examples of how missed opportunities, giving the artists and scene the respect it deserves, still occurs to this day.  Figured I'd show some love anyway, and one of the comics on the back wall I outlined/highlighted is one of my favourite Corben covers - Up From The Deep #1

Wasn't Corben the first artist other than Eastman & Laird to work on a Turtles story, in issue #7?

16 hours ago, wpbooks01 said:

I file both of those with my UG collection. Pretty much anything that's of an alt-nature, up until the end of Arcade's run, depending, I tend to lump with that sorta thing.

Same here, with the note that I'll keep later issues of UG series with the original series even if they came out later.

Another example from around that time: I file Brain Storm Comix with UG's, and Near Myths with independents. Or would, if they weren't filed together under "weird sized UK books"