• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Unofficial Underground Comix thread...
14 14

2,301 posts in this topic

On 5/4/2020 at 11:34 AM, Eric B1 said:

I clicked on each of the above and did not see any info related to my search.  Did you mean that I should contact both of the above regarding my search?  Thank you for responding!

I tagged two knowledgeable posters to try and drum up discussion on your posting. 👍

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 12:03 AM, OtherEric said:

Interesting timing.  I think I've tracked down almost all of the various Trashman comic appearances at this point, other than the couple of one pagers for High Times.  And I certainly don't have any of the EVO's, I think there were about 10 pages that didn't make it into the Collected Trashman.

Do not forget about this early standalone publication appearance (folded broadside, protest giveaway, 1969):

s-l500.jpg

Edited by CDNComix

FYI a new Kickstarter for an 'outlaw' blacklight comic printed in florescent ink... $25 shipped for the book.

Jim Rugg is part of the Cartoonist Kayfabe Youtube channel and it's no secret I am a fan of that channel.

They've kinda invented two new terms "Outlaw comics" a more broad-brush attempt to capture alt underground, modern underground, auteur work and adapted "Kayfabe" from professional wrestling (the production or show of wrestling / comics). 

On 3/16/2009 at 9:16 PM, 50 Cent #II (1st) said:

Well, let's see if this gets started... (I think Mica implied something like this here).

I dedicate this post to receiving my only missing copy of Yellow Dog today (#2 1st print) from Donahue today.

On 2/18/2020 at 1:33 PM, 50 Cent #II (1st) said:

I've got a few of Eastman's pre-TMNT items like some issues of SCAT somewhere in my collection.

Hey there! I see you a lot on this board. Do you by chance have any higher-end underground’s for sale? I have about 800 pre-1980 high-end undergrounds and am always looking for more, thanks so much!

Hey there! I have seen several online references to a second printing of White Whore Funnies 2. Fogel lists both the 1978 first printing and a second printing in 1987. The odd thing is the cover price is listed at $2 for each. It seems odd to me that a comic would be reprinted nine years later with the same cover price. I also see one online site lists a second printing with a $2.50 cover price. I've never seen one with a $2.50 cover. Does anyone know whether there was a second printing of this book? Thanks!

3 hours ago, pakers said:

Hey there! I have seen several online references to a second printing of White Whore Funnies 2. Fogel lists both the 1978 first printing and a second printing in 1987. The odd thing is the cover price is listed at $2 for each. It seems odd to me that a comic would be reprinted nine years later with the same cover price. I also see one online site lists a second printing with a $2.50 cover price. I've never seen one with a $2.50 cover. Does anyone know whether there was a second printing of this book? Thanks!

I used to have a scan of WW Funnies #2. In the inside front cover, there was a mention about it being a second printing. I think Photobucket wiped out my account, so that scan is long gone, and I don't have access to my books to scan it again.

On 6/9/2020 at 2:38 PM, Brother J said:

I used to have a scan of WW Funnies #2. In the inside front cover, there was a mention about it being a second printing. I think Photobucket wiped out my account, so that scan is long gone, and I don't have access to my books to scan it again.

ok, finally have access to my books. There is a 2nd printing. There is a secondary indicia on the first page that states 2nd print.The second print's cover price is indeed $2.00, not $2.50. I actually do not have a first print, I have two second prints, so I need to get a first.

IMG_0032.jpg

I was wondering if the ug wiki is still able to be updated? Was checking on some new acquisitions, and it says Zap #9 1st has a .75 cover price, but no picture, and says the 2nd print has $1.50 cover. My Zap #9 has $1.00 cover price, I'm pretty sure that is the first printing.

On 6/18/2020 at 11:50 AM, Brother J said:

I was wondering if the ug wiki is still able to be updated? Was checking on some new acquisitions, and it says Zap #9 1st has a .75 cover price, but no picture, and says the 2nd print has $1.50 cover. My Zap #9 has $1.00 cover price, I'm pretty sure that is the first printing.

$1 is the first printing, as the 75c cover does not exist. 

On 6/18/2020 at 9:50 AM, Brother J said:

I believe you are quite correct sir, and it looks like OM6er concurs! This web can be a dangerous and uninformative place at times!

Edited by wpbooks01

On 7/17/2020 at 7:26 AM, FoggyNelson said:

I didn’t know they still made these😷

Larry and Sharon published Cherry 23X and Cherry 23 in 2019, nearly 20 years after cherry 22 was published. 

Cherry 23X was limited to only 200 copies and is not easy to find.

CGC has incorrectly listed Kitchen Sink Press as the publisher of the two graded copies of 23X (Cherry Comics is the publisher).

Both graded copies are SS 9.8.

The first one sold on Ebay for $200. I thought that was high, and wasn't even aware of it until after it sold.

The second one came up on Ebay, and I bid $308 early on to make sure I would win since I was not going to be around when the auction finished.

I was shocked to learn that I lost when the winner got it for $313.  Crazy!

This year, they apparently teamed up with Golden Apple Comics to publish limited edition variant covers with Peach Momoko art. There is one trade "Legacy edition" cover and three virgin covers. They also published a Legacy edition with the Cherry Poptart #1 cover.   All books contain all stories from the first printing of #1.

All books with Peach Momoko (one trade, three virgin) are sold out.

I had never heard of Peach Momoko before, but am very impressed with the art for these covers.

Edited by icefires

I know one of my fave modern artists, Jim Mahfood, toured Japan with Peach and her partner / manager. They released a limited mini / tour book in Japan that sold out. Been passively looking for it. 

Since then, she's caught the eye of the modern variant speculation crew and they've driven her work up across the board. She's well collected at this point and has even done a Usagi Yojimbo variant that I'll never own. 

Edited by oldmilwaukee6er