• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Unofficial Underground Comix thread...
14 14

2,279 posts in this topic

My latest undergound! So happy to have any of these early books! I am no expert like you all are, I just love the art and the stories. Maybe you can help me, do any of you know if this is a first printing? Would a 1970 underground have a 50 cent cover price? Weren't they still 25 cents back then? Thanks!

image.png.171384b6da247f30f099cb5c69d11add.png

10 hours ago, flashlites said:

My latest undergound! So happy to have any of these early books! I am no expert like you all are, I just love the art and the stories. Maybe you can help me, do any of you know if this is a first printing? Would a 1970 underground have a 50 cent cover price? Weren't they still 25 cents back then? Thanks!

I find this a very useful reference site as far as it goes, but it's exasperatingly incomplete and hasn't been updated in ages:

http://comixjoint.com/index.html

With the FB series coming out soon on Netflix and this particular special copy, I'm surprised I saw this listed on eBay and it's been there for a week.  Guess these are tough times?  Arnie, weren't you looking for a copy of this?  Or did nobody notice?  ComixJoint may have not since he didn't put it in the description, as I would think that would be a definite selling point. Or maybe it'll be gone next time I check?  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fabulous-Furry-Freak-Brothers-1-1st-Printing-1971-CGC-8-0-Top-25-All-Time/143644342860?hash=item2171deba4c:g:MlEAAOSwc2le-S21

Edited by 50 Cent #II (1st)

On 7/28/2020 at 12:44 PM, flashlites said:

Funny cover🤣🤣🤣

11 hours ago, flashlites said:

Its in nice shape too!!! From the Print Mint very cool! Now we gotta see what else is in the box:popcorn:

Yea when I have time I'll send some more scans. Looked like a bunch of 80's FFFB, some Mr. Natural and Zaps in there. Bunch of magazines on the bottom that I didnt get to. Probably Heavy Metal and Epics. 

1 hour ago, wpbooks01 said:

Here's a few more for you to contemplate......20190103_194858.thumb.jpg.fa6ad700b75a66ae9b4bc64880ae9b19.jpg20190103_194929.thumb.jpg.d04b357b52f2425ce011dadfe15446b3.jpg

I've got to ask on the EC's... originals, or reprints?  Or a mix?  (I could see using originals with, say, Panic or the New Direction books but the reprints for most of the New Trend stuff).

Just beautiful shelves in any case.  And good taste in what you've had bound... I don't have everything there, but I've got a lot of it and am looking for quite a few others.

1 minute ago, OtherEric said:

I've got to ask on the EC's... originals, or reprints?  Or a mix?  (I could see using originals with, say, Panic or the New Direction books but the reprints for most of the New Trend stuff).

Just beautiful shelves in any case.  And good taste in what you've had bound... I don't have everything there, but I've got a lot of it and am looking for quite a few others.

The EC's are a complete run of the Gemstones, East Coast Classix , Nostalgic MAD from MAD Specials and a few other random EC reprints from various places.  I may be obsessive, but I ain't crazy!  My EC original comics are safely tucked away. 

I do have a few projects now ready for the bindery including a 3 volume set of the complete run of Castle Of Frankenstein magazine, a 4th and 5th volume of my ongoing Compendium of Corben series including magazine sized material and around 95% of his Underground Comix, The Compleat Underwater by Chester Brown, and a volume I'm calling SLICES: Deviant and Sleazy which combines the complete runs of both titles in one tasty treat!

A couple others are also in the works.  Hope to have the 7 volumes mentioned by Halloween...(I have to take the bus to and from the bindery and the pandemic has made me squeamish...but I'm adapting and my local transit system will be expanding runs and routes starting Saturday, so I plan on getting over there soon!)  Thanks for your kind comments, Other Eric!

Not really a fan of the slab thing, but this specimen really spoke to me!  I'd given up buying UG except cheap and lesser copies for binding purposes (see above), but this sang to me while I was in search of a 'beater' copy!

The price and circumstances were right, and it seemed like a good use of some of the stimulus money that Trump gave me....I will always remember Donald when I gaze lovingly on this little fella.....

s-l1600.jpg