• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Unofficial Underground Comix thread...
14 14

2,300 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, FoggyNelson said:

Never heard of Grunt magazine but it looks good in the CGC case‼️👍😷

Well maybe this will help! (Stolen from the description at Comixjoint!  Many thanks, CJ!!!)

The comic features a two-part story entitled "Crystal City Blues," which is about a group of "society's rejects" living on Grunt Farm that lead a pirate-radio revolution against the "-rock" music controlled by corporations. The two parts of this black-and-white story are divided by a four-page center section that promotes Grunt's newest albums in full color, accompanied by exquisite art-poster renditions from Irons.

I've never seen a comic story by Irons and Veitch that didn't include the product of their full effort, and "Crystal City Blues" is no different. Veitch weaves a complex tale about the radio disc jockeys who are born and raised to host 24-hour-a-day broadcasts of -rock; a job that burns them out before they're 30 years old and relegates them to a deadly scrap heap when they finally self-implode from the stress. But when one of the DJs survives the scrap heap, he crawls his way to the welcoming party at Grunt Farm, where he conspires with Jumpin' Jack Flesh to lead a music revolution.

Irons illustrates the story with his typical ingenuity, combining the wisdom of his line art with his dexterous application and painting of screentone patterns. I'm not sure anyone has ever conducted a better orchestration of manufactured black dots with pen and brush than Gregory Irons. And it's not just his exceptional command of the tools and techniques, but his mastery of portraiture that sets him apart from every cartoonist beyond Robert Crumb. Grunt Comix #2 is just one more example in the expansive repository of Irons' art that illuminate his extraordinary talent.

5 minutes ago, wpbooks01 said:

Some of my favorite uncollected Corbens! One of my runs is on deck for a custom bind with the rest of the Fantagor magazine sized output and others of that size! Nice looking copies!

Yea they are half decent on the outside but almost all have loose center pages. Seems to be a production problem with these books.

9 minutes ago, wpbooks01 said:

Interesting. I have 3 copies of each, except #2 and none of mine have that issue. First I've heard!

Hmm,  I think both my 2 and 4 have loose center pages and thinking back I have a vague memory of them being like that after the first time I tried to carefully read them.  The books themselves are very stiff with those thick glossy pages so kinda pretty awkward to read and not overly suprising  they popped really. Probably just bad luck on my part though.

4 hours ago, 50 Cent #II (1st) said:

I just saw that Arnie's kid is posting Undergrounds selling them for his father on facebook.  Anyone know what's up with that?  Is Arnie doing OK?

quote from Arnie from August 16th: Do to surgery recovery (its going fine) I can't lift boxes to show off more of my collection. However, my son found two of my SD for sale long boxes. I will post them as I can ,about 500 comics All for sale or trade

On 9/2/2020 at 5:47 AM, erehwon said:

Hello fellow underground comix lovers.

Have to post about this unbelievable video that just poped up on YouTube... German Zap documentary  from 1971...

I highly recommend you check it out. Great candor from Crumb, Spain, and Shelton.

It jumps from part 1 to part 4, where's part 2?  Part 3 seems to be posted, but you have to search for it, but no part 2.

Edited by 50 Cent #II (1st)

2 hours ago, 50 Cent #II (1st) said:

It jumps from part 1 to part 4, where's part 2?  Part 3 seems to be posted, but you have to search for it, but no part 2.

I asked about that too at Youtube and got a link from another user,who apparently resides outside the US where there is some sort of copyright take down order.  Probably some issue with music it looks like...alas....pts. 3 and 4 are there, as you mention, but 2 is in the wind......maybe if you use a VPN you can access it?