• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Unofficial Underground Comix thread...
14 14

2,279 posts in this topic

On 9/4/2020 at 8:14 PM, wpbooks01 said:

And Nash is supposed to be a UG enthusiast who even has his own pedigree in these matters.  Filthy swine!:preach:

The musicians may have sold the rights to their music and don't have control anymore but also if they do still own it, this stuff is policed by companies they or their record company hire to collect their royalties from radio stations etc. and probably don't have much if any knowledge of it.

2 hours ago, Morganmi said:

The musicians may have sold the rights to their music and don't have control anymore but also if they do still own it, this stuff is policed by companies they or their record company hire to collect their royalties from radio stations etc. and probably don't have much if any knowledge of it.

I get how it works. Guess smarmy sarcasm and silly emojis will only get you so far.  I blame society.

17 minutes ago, FoggyNelson said:

Do they still make underground comics anymore?😷😷

I haven't bought a new comic in 20 years so have no idea what they are putting out nowadays. I have noticed that the new covers of mainstream books on a lot of comics are more suggestive than most of the "Underground" stuff from back in the day so I'm guessing the Underground distinction probably doesn`t really matter now.

The only comics that come to mind, of recent vintage that make me think they would have been find during the UG era are Sleazy Slice from Canada, and Gilbert Hernandez's Blubber.  There have been a few other self-published comics that have also had that sort of transgressive vibe to them, but I also think there are comics that have a sort of Punk aesthetic to them, so I tend to catalog them accordingly.  Yummy Fur always seemed like it had it's toes dipped in many waters, UG being one lake!  Those are my observations, but there are few comics that I see that cause me to want to buy a copy these days.  Katie Skelly is an artist who has created work I really like and I suppose there's a quality to it I might deem 'underground'....especially her book The Agency, which reminds me a lot of European Sixties comics like Barbarella or Jodelle.

Just came across this recent one today.  A 2020 sequel to the 1979 Hyper Comics.  Stiles sadly passed away this year.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08F6Y3V3D/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Edited by 50 Cent #II (1st)

9 hours ago, 50 Cent #II (1st) said:

Read that David “Dave” Geiser passed away suddenly in his sleep on Wednesday the 14th of this month, he was 72.  He was married to actress Mercedes Ruehl and they had one son together.

Thanks for the information, had no idea.