• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Unofficial Underground Comix thread...
14 14

2,303 posts in this topic

th_KIMG0285_zps1t30l6i4.jpg

Amazing you guys... be sure to share your stories so we can live vicariously.

I think I will bring a camera body with a 14 mm wide angle lens. I don't want to be behind a camera all night but I should be able to get some good pics

th_KIMG0285_zps1t30l6i4.jpg

Amazing you guys... be sure to share your stories so we can live vicariously.

I think I will bring a camera body with a 14 mm wide angle lens. I don't want to be behind a camera all night but I should be able to get some good pics

I defer to Felix^^^ as the only camera I have still uses film!

Also from the Eric Sack Collection, but featured in the main catalog along with a lot more pages from his collection not found in the UG catalog. He has some amazing taste and a collection that would be nigh on impossible to replicate today.

There was 1-2 Crumb pieces in the contemporary art auction catalog from Sack too. Do you think he kept part of the collection or that part of it will go on auction at a later time? Felix was asking me & I don't have a good answer...

The depth and breadth of the collection is astonishing if this is only part of it (even if that part is >85%)... (worship)

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/illustrations/s-clay-wilson-ruby-the-dyke-illustration-original-art-1994-/a/7141-93299.s

This Ruby the Dyke piece will be offered in next Friday's Heritage comic art auction. I am the consignor and I will give 10% of the hammer price to S. Clay Wilson. Spread the word.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/illustrations/s-clay-wilson-ruby-the-dyke-illustration-original-art-1994-/a/7141-93299.s

Also from the Eric Sack Collection, but featured in the main catalog along with a lot more pages from his collection not found in the UG catalog. He has some amazing taste and a collection that would be nigh on impossible to replicate today.

There was 1-2 Crumb pieces in the contemporary art auction catalog from Sack too. Do you think he kept part of the collection or that part of it will go on auction at a later time? Felix was asking me & I don't have a good answer...

The depth and breadth of the collection is astonishing if this is only part of it (even if that part is >85%)... (worship)

I spoke with Todd Hignite today and asked him specifically about the threadspool heads. There are 11 of them in the youtube video but only 3 in this weeks auction. He said they intend to put them in future auctions a few at a time. So it looks like while the entire Eric Sack collection will not be offered in this auction, Heritage is in possession of the entire collection.

I spoke with Todd Hignite today and asked him specifically about the threadspool heads. There are 11 of them in the youtube video but only 3 in this weeks auction. He said they intend to put them in future auctions a few at a time. So it looks like while the entire Eric Sack collection will not be offered in this auction, Heritage is in possession of the entire collection.

Yep. he said there won't be another Sack specific auction but there will be pieces continuing to show up in the UG section of many future auctions. Looks like it's a total divestment of the Sack collection. No doubt he's going to retire in style!!! Lotsa Poppa, to be sure!

50Cent, it looks like the collection will be going to the University of California, Irvine. I haven't gotten to the appraisal yet, but found someone local who can do it. I'm still working on converting my lists into an Excel spreadsheet to make it easier for that task

50Cent, it looks like the collection will be going to the University of California, Irvine. I haven't gotten to the appraisal yet, but found someone local who can do it. I'm still working on converting my lists into an Excel spreadsheet to make it easier for that task

Someday if I'm visiting my relatives in Orange County I'd like to give the collection a peek! Wish it were going to San Francisco State! I would have been happy to help out with the appraisal there!

Good news, glad to hear it.

Yep. he said there won't be another Sack specific auction but there will be pieces continuing to show up in the UG section of many future auctions. Looks like it's a total divestment of the Sack collection. No doubt he's going to retire in style!!! Lotsa Poppa, to be sure!

Since there isn't any Underground Comix from Sack in the auction, I'd guess he is just letting the original art go. Looks like Sack was looking for a minicomix here just 6 months to a year ago from a post here, so he's probably keeping a really impressive collection of comix for himself.

Since there isn't any Underground Comix from Sack in the auction, I'd guess he is just letting the original art go. Looks like Sack was looking for a minicomix here just 6 months to a year ago from a post here, so he's probably keeping a really impressive collection of comix for himself.

There are indeed UG comix being sold in the auction, not just OA. Posters and ephemera, too. All that material can be found in the rear section of the auction catalog, and will probably be more spread out in upcoming sales/auctions.

There are indeed UG comix being sold in the auction, not just OA. Posters and ephemera, too. All that material can be found in the rear section of the auction catalog, and will probably be more spread out in upcoming sales/auctions.

My error then. Looking forward to picking up the catalog and checking out the auction myself.

Will you be attending in Beverly Hills?

BTW, did you see my shout out to you re FB2 a page or so ago?

I'll try to attend. Anyone else here going?

I did see that and have to pull my comix out from the boxes, which are under other boxes, and just forgot about it with work sorry. When I get around to pulling those issues, I'll check it out. I'm much better with having them in hand when looking over a question. With FB2, there's 3 early prints with rainbow or blue interior covers. They have different ads inside. One has a FB2 ad in the back inside cover, the other 2 has a BA ad in its place. Maybe that helps with your question?

I did see that and have to pull my comix out from the boxes, which are under other boxes, and just forgot about it with work sorry. When I get around to pulling those issues, I'll check it out. I'm much better with having them in hand when looking over a question. With FB2, there's 3 early prints with rainbow or blue interior covers. They have different ads inside. One has a FB2 ad in the back inside cover, the other 2 has a BA ad in its place. Maybe that helps with your question?

Sort of helps, but I'm more curious about your take on the indicia drop out, or if that's just a singular flaw that's not an obvious 'point'.

But while we're on the subject how does one come to grips with the different ads, and why advertise the book one is holding? BA ad makes sense, FB2 ad, less so....but altered states, and printing while under them cause odd rationale that doesn't compute when one sobers up, perhaps. Thanks in advance for when you do get around to looking!

Won't be making the trip to BH, but will attempt to follow online and perhaps throw out a bid or two....

Sort of helps, but I'm more curious about your take on the indicia drop out, or if that's just a singular flaw that's not an obvious 'point'.

But while we're on the subject how does one come to grips with the different ads, and why advertise the book one is holding? BA ad makes sense, FB2 ad, less so....but altered states, and printing while under them cause odd rationale that doesn't compute when one sobers up, perhaps. Thanks in advance for when you do get around to looking!

Won't be making the trip to BH, but will attempt to follow online and perhaps throw out a bid or two....

Mind posting a pic. of the cover and the inside back cover? Probably make things quicker.

Mind posting a pic. of the cover and the inside back cover? Probably make things quicker.

No camera at present and it's back in it's own hard to get to place. If I can get it together in the next couple of days I will. My wife has a phone but it's pretty cheap and I'm not sure if it can transmit the necessary details.