• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Unofficial Underground Comix thread...
14 14

2,301 posts in this topic

Victor,

But wouldn`t the need to include items like Mr. Peanut, or other small press items by outsiders/DaDaists/primitives, follow the Kennedy tradition?

I'm fine with stuff like Hairy Who and (even more so) Artpolice . . . "fine arts-ish" I think Kennedy dubbed some of that material. The Hairy Who publications were intended to be catalogues for the artists' works, done up like comic books. And Artpolice had actual comics (Artpolice Comics) mixed in with the stuff that was more along the lines of anthologies of individual works of art. A lot of the Artpolice stuff is quite . . . lewd (I mean this in a good way!), too, which fell in line with underground comix proper.

Animal Mitchell pubs and Morice's Poetry Comics weren't really underground in terms of content, but were certainly inspired by the movement. I'm fine with including those, as well. But still, they're closer in format to traditional comics than something like the Mr. Peanut flip book.

But yes, if Mr. Peanut and The Shoe Journal were intended to continue Snore Comix, I would be inclined include them for that reason alone, or at least mention them, sort of like what Kennedy did with SCASM, which was the second issue of something called ICON (I think both were acronyms, though I'd have to go back and look), which he didn't include because it was more along the lines of a fanzine, or had more text than graphics, etc.

P.S. I don't want to derail our discussion, but speaking of Artpolice . . . https://antiq.benjamins.com/#catalog/0/18799

Yikes! If only I had 20,000 euro to plunk down.

Came across that myself, when searching for a baseline price for the AP material. Crazy, no? Good luck, getting that much.

Most of the later stuff (30 issues) was produced in runs of 1,000, mailed out and lovingly stored away. These shouldn't be that rare or expensive - $20 to $40 a pop in excellent condition.

I rarely see the Kennedy listed material come up for sale. The few examples that I have seen up for sale, seem to fetch about $100-$150 per, in less than fine condition.

Woah, just came across this page.

Of particular interest is the following:

"(49). IRATA, by Arthur Cravan; 17 may 1994, 5o copies #d in purple rubberstamp rear cover issued as Snore Comix #8; 4-1/4 x 5-1/2, single sheet grey bond folded to 4 pp leaflet, all printed black photocopy with blue rubberstamp addition to front cover. issued as an errata leaf to back lane letters."

So that, Irata, published in 1994, was issued as the eighth issue of Snore Comix?! The plot continues to thicken.

Edit:

Just found this, too: https://openlibrary.org/books/OL23564590M/grOnkbag_L

Of note:

"IRATA arthur cravan [snore Comix: 50 copies]"

Edited by Reverend

The same user shows two versions of Snore Comix #2:

Snore Comix #2 Version A

editor unknown.

Toronto, Coach House Press, april 197o. 6oo copies.

2-3/16 x 2-11/16, 36 sheets cream zephyr eggshell, all printed black offset, & 4 sheets plain buff mayfair card (2 at each end) perfectbound into white bond wrappers printed brown & lime (? hard to tell) over phlorescent orange coating.

cover by Jerry Ofo.

12 contributors ID'd:

"Becka", Edd Benton, Marc Chinoy, Maryrose Coleman, Ken Coupland, Ken McRitchie, bpNichol, Jerry Ooo ([ie Ofo], D.M.Price, "Robert", Andrew Robinson, Michael Tims.

Nichol contributes:

i) SCRAPTURES lost sequence (concrete poetry comic – ink, typewriter & letraset – in 13 pp.[4-16])

Snore Comix #2 Version B

editor(s) unknown. Toronto, Coach House Press, april 197o. 6oo copies.

not atall common, a 2-1/4 x 2-3/4 minibook casebound in phlorescent orangered covers with Jerry Ofo's cover graphic.

identified contributors are Edd Benton, Marc Chinoy, Maryrose Coleman, Ken Coupland, Robert Fones, Kenneth McRitchie, bpNichol, Jerry Ofo, D.M.Price, Andrew Robinson, Michael Tims. mostly, the names're left off the works inside

of particular interest in here is Nichol's 13 pp "TOTAL ASSAULT" SCRAPTURES lost sequence, consisting of multi-layered panelscapes with typed, letraset & drawn lettering, the narrative & characters moving between the interreferencing layers. Nichol's admittedly simplistic graphic style probably reaches its greatest sophistication here, especially in that areas of drawing become areas of shaped type.

as well, D.M.Price's also-13pp DEADCAT SPONSORS LEGISLATION is beautifully drawn & lettered, a series of related graphics in continuous-line-stylee drawing mode with interspersed shapes (imagine comics drawn by Freddie Hundtertwasser).

"(49). IRATA, by Arthur Cravan; 17 may 1994, 5o copies #d in purple rubberstamp rear cover issued as Snore Comix #8; 4-1/4 x 5-1/2, single sheet grey bond folded to 4 pp leaflet, all printed black photocopy with blue rubberstamp addition to front cover. issued as an errata leaf to back lane letters."

So that, Irata, published in 1994, was issued as the eighth issue of Snore Comix?! The plot continues to thicken.

Edit:

Just found this, too: https://openlibrary.org/books/OL23564590M/grOnkbag_L

Of note:

"IRATA arthur cravan [snore Comix: 50 copies]"

This changes everything. Great detective work here, Victor. If this is accurate (and so far, it looks good), then it means that Mr. Peanut can only possibly be Snore # 4 or not part of the series at all.

It looks like the person who posted all of this stuff is in Ottawa. Might be an opportunity for you, Dan. It looks like this guy has a lot of unique stuff that he wants to share.

Not sure if I have asked this before. Has anyone ever seen a Funnybook with no yellow on the cover?

This is the normal cover with yellow:

FB175F.jpg

This one missing yellow on cover:

Funnybook%20No%20Yellow%20%20F.jpg

Edited by icefires

Like so:

Zap3error.jpg

Thanks.

Is a green label bad for value? I am assuming so.

What about the double covers? Those are manufacturing defects too, right?

How come they don't get a green label?

I guess "added" defects are OK. "Missing" defects get the green?

Edited by icefires

I'm not sure that a person interested in buying these types of books would necessarily be deterred by a green label. That being said, I also don't think that such buyers are willing to pay more because the book is in a slab.

Your conclusion about double covers rings true.

Double covers aren't considered defects. The books are complete so are blue labels.

The machine got stuck and put 10 covers on it but it is NOT a manufacturing defect.

The machine is working perfectly and has caused no manufacturing defects on this book with 10 covers.

Blue label.

Love It. :grin:

Edited by icefires

First, I felt good about the lot I got for $90, http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-15-UNDERGROUND-COMICS-COMIX-VAUGHN-BODE-CRUMB-MANY-MORE-NICE-FINE-/112252495184?hash=item1a22c52550:g:g1YAAOSwa~BYZWTI, But I is wish I saw the Major Make Believe lot. While I don't need any of them for my collection, It was a great resale lot

As for the green vs blue, I have no idea what CGC takes off for the signature. I have a Zap 1 that is an 8 blue with the key words, writing of the cover, because of the Crumb signature.

On the other have, I have a quadruple cvr for the Gold Turtlemania #3/10, that came in at a green 9.6. I know what I was offered for it, and the green label makes no difference. http://www.recalledcomics.com/TurtlemaniaSpecial1.php