• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Unofficial Underground Comix thread...
14 14

2,279 posts in this topic

Just read that Skip Williamson's health has turned.   If you haven't kept up lately, Skip has been in and out of the hospital for the last year or so, with some extended stays there.  Today I read his health is on the decline again.  Keep him in your thoughts, please.  This news less than 2 weeks after his friend Jay passed.

"Dear Skip's friends,

I'm writing to you all once again on Skip's behalf to ask of you please, for your prayers, love, and positivity- he desperately *NEEDS* it, as his health is in a very weak state right now; it's too long a story for me to get into the details, and my m.s. is exhausting me after the last day and a half.
For those of you who are not into religion or spirituality, I'm sure you know Science, and understand that a basic teaching of quantum is that *consciousness* is what *makes reality*- therefore, the positivity we manifest collectively materializes into actuality.
I've been extremely busy with contacts and the like, and am working on trying to get myself up to Albany, NY to see him after this storm passes. I will try my best to update you all when I can; he's been in the Cardiac Care Unit of Albany Medical Center since Monday morning (3/12/17).

My love and gratitude to you all, 2764.png<3
Adrienne."

Edited by 50 Cent #II (1st)

It looks like Skip is going to pass shortly. 

Adrienne post this an hour ago:  " I am sorry, friends. Things have taken a sudden crash, and our beloved Skip is leaving this world... A piece of my soul is leaving with him, the love of my life, my soulmate. I am broken beyond words. 1f622.png"  

From Tom Spurgeon's Comics reporter site:

I can't quite track where the rumors are coming from and how legitimate they are. I think it's from a family or close-friend account on Facebook. The narrative being told is that things to a severe turn for the worse this morning. I'll change this post when I see something that cites an official source or is an official source.

This comes right on the heels of Jay Lynch's passing; each man was the other underground cartoonist I would first affiliate with the respective individuals. Williamson was a visually powerful and idiosyncratic cartoonist and when he passes will leave a significant amount of work as testimony to his legacy.

Update: At 6:54 PM ET, I received the undated update in my inbox as a graphics file:

The original message looks like 6:40 PM ET. More as it comes in.

The Checkered Demon pays a quick visit to a scene from this week's Elementary (s05e17) as a guitar case is being opened. It's the cover illustration from the S. Clay Wilson interview issue of The Comics Journal!

vlcsnap-2017-03-19-20h21m43s876_zpsbzjnj

vlcsnap-2017-03-19-20h21m12s702_zps4hsnh

I'm probably really late to the game but it appears to be official, Skip Williamson and Jay Lynch have died.

Jay Lynch somehow appeared on by Facebook page one day and I followed him. He was always entertaining, if something of a curmudgeon at times.  I've been missing his posts, but he came and went at times so I hadn't given it a thought.  

I wish I could say where I first heard of Skip Williamson.  For the life of me, I can't remember.  I found him on Facebook a few years ago as well.  There was an eBay auction for a Snappy Sammy Smoot sketch and I just couldn't decide whether it was legit so I Googled Mr. Williamson, finding him, asking him about the sketch (it was good by the way) and followed him ever since.  He was a unique soul with a clear and individual voice that came through in his art.  He was risqué, political, sharp, and funny.  I had noticed a slow down in his posts as well, usually he just posted pics of his art or promoted various projects, but now I really regret not checking into FB more often.  I knew his health ebbed and flowed but had no idea it was this bad.  Mr. Williamson, from his art, pics, and posts, appeared to be someone that I would have really enjoyed knowing, particularly in my mid 20s when I was running with a much more artistic crowd.  

RIP guys, despite not really knowing either of you, I will miss you.  

One of the most important things I learned quickly with undergrounds was to be patient. Since most of these books are so obscure, you are likely to eventually find one at a low price. I just completed my set of Jimbo, and even though I didn't write down the prices, I don't think I paid more than $11 shipped for any of the issues. If you look these books up on eBay, most copies are much more than that. The $11 shipped is what I just paid for the last issue I needed to complete the set, #3. Here's a pic:

001_10.jpg

On 4/12/2017 at 9:18 PM, Brother J said:

I agree!

Until now, I had never seen that particular issue of Nemesis.

8 minutes ago, comixbible said:

I agree!

Until now, I had never seen that particular issue of Nemesis.

I was certainly surprised it went that high. I have a near complete set of Nemesis, but I've never seen copies of #4 or #7. I have seen two or three copies of #1 sell over the years, but my bids are never even close to winning.

18 minutes ago, Brother J said:

I was certainly surprised it went that high. I have a near complete set of Nemesis, but I've never seen copies of #4 or #7. I have seen two or three copies of #1 sell over the years, but my bids are never even close to winning.

Do you know which issue of Nemesis was featured on this auction: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/thru-black-holes-nemesis-fantasy-sci-135796888? I'm wondering if it was #4.

It's been awhile since I've sold my copy of Penny Arcade Comix (https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/underground-comix-nemesis-penny-154479536), but wasn't Nemesis #7 part of that?

Edited by comixbible

1 hour ago, comixbible said:

Do you know which issue of Nemesis was featured on this auction: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/thru-black-holes-nemesis-fantasy-sci-135796888? I'm wondering if it was #4.

It's been awhile since I've sold my copy of Penny Arcade Comix (https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/underground-comix-nemesis-penny-154479536), but wasn't Nemesis #7 part of that?

ok, now I've seen them! Thanks for the links. I had seen #7 before, just forgot about it and couldn't find a pic using a broad Google search.

In the first link, I would think would have to be #4, I have #2 and #3 and the one in the link you provided is in the same larger format. With #5 they went to the smaller 5 1/2" by 8 1/2" format, which was used for #5 and #6. It looks like #7 was the same height, but slightly wider than #5 and #6. With #8, Roden went with the more familiar size of most mini comix, and #9 and #10 were the same size as #8. 

On 4/14/2017 at 0:14 PM, Brother J said:

One of the most important things I learned quickly with undergrounds was to be patient. Since most of these books are so obscure, you are likely to eventually find one at a low price. I just completed my set of Jimbo, and even though I didn't write down the prices, I don't think I paid more than $11 shipped for any of the issues. If you look these books up on eBay, most copies are much more than that. The $11 shipped is what I just paid for the last issue I needed to complete the set, #3. Here's a pic:

001_10.jpg

Coincidentally, I just ordered a Gary Panter mini comix called More Hair from 2003? a couple weeks ago (after I notice Charles Plymell was included in it), but it hasn't arrived yet.  http://www.garypanter.com/site/index.php?/shop/mini-comics/

added info.

REALLY????  Goodwill?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Omaha-the-Cat-Dancer-1-ORIGINAL-COVER-ART-Reed-Waller-1984-/272579640420?hash=item3f77033c64%3Ag%3AgmsAAOSwax5YvZYO&nma=true&si=KF5scdatlsgG8%2B3pzHJeEPCeMBs%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&rmvSB=true

In the thread in the Copper Section there's also a post about a Bizarre Sex #9 (2nd print with a $1.50 cover price), this would change the current guides, I believe, I haven't checked the Fogel's yet.  I believe it was previously discussed in 2010 in the same forum.

Well, the Mean person_without_enough_empathy Thrills bootleg doesn't show up often.

But I've never seen these later issues of the Australian Zap Comix bootleg series.  Appears to have been at least 12 issues and they added "Stupid & Nasty" before "Zap Comix" in the later issues. 

MBTbootleg.jpg

Austrailian10.jpg

Austrailian11.jpg

Australian12.jpg

12 hours ago, 50 Cent #II (1st) said:

Well, the Mean person_without_enough_empathy Thrills bootleg doesn't show up often.

But I've never seen these later issues of the Australian Zap Comix bootleg series.  Appears to have been at least 12 issues and they added "Stupid & Nasty" before "Zap Comix" in the later issues. 

In the late '70s, and maybe the early '80s, there were a startling amount of U.S. bootlegs being published in Australia. I'm pretty sure the late Bob Gould of Gould's Book Arcade was responsible. I tried contacting him, as well as the staff of the shop, but they weren't forthcoming with information.

Here's another seldom-seen oddity that came from the land down under. I could be mistaken, but I think the name is Screened Hatch.

screened-hatch.thumb.jpg.b64dc74ebda8761f6fbca214bd24a74c.jpg

Underground guys,

where in the sales forums is the best spot to list undergrounds for sale? I bought an eclectic estate collection of over 1,000 total books last year, and about 50 of them are a neat little underground subset. Very cool stuff, but not my collecting focus so it's read and release for me. Thanks!

20 hours ago, Readcomix said:

Underground guys,

where in the sales forums is the best spot to list undergrounds for sale? I bought an eclectic estate collection of over 1,000 total books last year, and about 50 of them are a neat little underground subset. Very cool stuff, but not my collecting focus so it's read and release for me. Thanks!

Probably the Mixed Age forum, and you'll probably want to post here that you've posted them.