• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Unofficial Underground Comix thread...
14 14

2,301 posts in this topic

I've been searching for a copy of Snore Comix (#1) from 1969, not to mention #2 from a year, or two, later. After 10 years of searching, I've come up empty. Here are images of both covers--the #1 was scanned per my request; the #2 was stumbled upon at some point--from libraries who have them in their collections.

snore-comix-1_zpshshuz078.jpg

snore-comix-2_zpsmecysyfd.jpg

Amazing books Reverend. Wish I had 'em, but, alas, no.

I came across #3 at McGill's library in Montreal when I was there, one of two underground comix they had in their collection. Here a couple of pics for anyone who's interested and hasn't seen it before.

snorecomix.jpg

snorecomixback.jpg

Thanks for the recap, some really amazing books there. Was lucky to pick up the Feds 'N Heads, which I never thought I'd get. Never had a reason to check the census and was surprised to see such low numbers, with a supposed 5000 copy first print?

Congrats! My guess would be that census numbers are low because for whatever reason many underground collectors don't grade their books. But, if the 5000 figure is correct, and I have no reason to doubt it, that is still a relatively small number of copies. While I'm sure there are many ungraded copies out there (I myself have 3), many of them, like my copy below (the rare purple-marker-all-over-the-front-and-back-cover variant), are likely rags.

fedsnheads.jpg

fedsnheadsback.jpg

Yeah, I won't be slabbing my undrergrounds unless it's to sell them. I don't have much super rare stuff, but I do have a first print of Feds and Heads in VF that I picked up in a collection I bought in 1981.

Sort of leaving the topic of true undergrounds, but here have been a number of mini-comix by Raw Books for sale recently:

1) French Postcard (1979)

2) Chinese Landscape (1979)

3) Cow Looking at a Passing train (1978)

I never heard of them before. Seems to be "fine art" subject matter.

Does anyone have more info?

How many were produced?

Or know the names of similar mini comix from Raw or if it was a series - besides the Raw magazine inserts.

Edited by dannyboycheapyboy

This was probably posted, but how did eggs's family do on the auctions of his collection after he passed? were they set up ok? i know whatever it is won't be enough.

super nice in my dealings with him, throwing extra stuff in and what not. i didn't know he only had a few months left at the time, although i guess we had known he had been sick.

Sort of leaving the topic of true undergrounds, but here have been a number of mini-comix by Raw Books for sale recently:

1) French Postcard (1979)

2) Chinese Landscape (1979)

3) Cow Looking at a Passing train (1978)

I never heard of them before. Seems to be "fine art" subject matter.

Does anyone have more info?

How many were produced?

Or know the names of similar mini comix from Raw or if it was a series - besides the Raw magazine inserts.

As for any others, the first three that spring to the top of my mind are:

Every Day Has Its Dog (1979) - Art Spiegelman

Manhattan: 7 Drawings (1978) - Mark Beyer

Work and Turn (1979) - Art Spiegelman

And then there were the Top-Drawer Rubber Stamp Catalogs (three issues in all).

Edited by Reverend

Good stuff. I think I have some, but the Snores are on my want list.

As for the Heritage auction, the God Nose did go low. As Victor knows, $500 each is what I paid him for one and Eric paid me $500 each for the two yellow ones. The have gone for a k each and the Chicago Contemporary Art museum charged $1000 each when they had them at a Harry exhibit.

The two big surprises to me were the low price for the Wilson Portfolio. I woke up 10 minutes too late, or I would have gone higher. The LIU book, Helicon really surprised me. $6k+. I paid $200 yeas ago.

The Meatballs were $50-$100 on abe at the start of the auction, but someone bought them all up after the auction.

Re: Hairy Who record prices..

I can only report on provided and public sales data.

A record sale is just that, and will be reflected in future FUGGs.

When I had made my comment about the prices fetched for the Sack Hairy Who's, it wasn't to infer that the prices referenced in FUGG were too low.

I was more surprised that someone was willing to pay that amount for 3 examples in lessor condition. Come on! One with a near total spine split!

I personally think that you lower the list price in your guide for the Hairy Who comics, so guys like me who do not own a copy are given a chance to do so.(:

Hello,

I only buy and never have sold anything on eBay. A seller friend just got a 30 day suspension for showing an unclad Leather Nuns cover.

After years of selling UG, he will get a Termination after the next violation! I have had seen this topic discussed before. What's the solution?

Is it merely to cover up any nudity art or profanity with paper pasties? Is that 100% foolproof?

He has used the adults only category, but it has limited traffic and does not allow views from international buyers.

Funny how eBay allows items with graphic violence to be openly shown, but heaven forbid that someone sees a drawn breast and gets offended!

Here is a link for anybody that may want to help.....the pins are available through knockoffpress.

S. Clay Wilson's Checkered Demon Pin has arrived yet AGAIN!! And just in time for the holidays too!! 1.75" tall and double rubber clutched for added security. As you may or may not know, S. Clay Wilson, one of the founding artists of Zap Comix, suffered a Traumatic Brain Injury on Nov.1, 2008. Unfortunately he is severely impaired and requires 24 hour care by his lovely wife Lorraine. 100% of proceeds will be donated to the S. Clay Wilson Special Needs Trust. By purchasing our pins you will be contributing to his aid and care. Please help S. Clay Wilson. He is more than just a cartoonist, he's our hero! Please visit www.sclaywilsontrust.com for further donations. Allow two weeks shipping and handling.

I came across #3 at McGill's library in Montreal when I was there, one of two underground comix they had in their collection. Here a couple of pics for anyone who's interested and hasn't seen it before.

snorecomix.jpg

snorecomixback.jpg

Is #3 also hard to find?

Is #3 also hard to find?

Not particularly. I'd say that it's uncommon, at best. I've seen many copies come and go over the years.

Is #3 also hard to find?

Not particularly. I'd say that it's uncommon, at best. I've seen many copies come and go over the years.

Agreed. A couple of weeks ago there were copies available for sale in the $35 to $40 range on Amazon and Abe. All seem to have since sold, but they do turn up here and there, unlike #1 and #2.

Reverend, are you aware of the bpNichol Archive? They probably won't be inclined to sell, but they have a copy of snore #2 on their website.

There were actually 8 issues of Snore Comix, but at least two were never properly released. Issue # 5, the "Shoe Journal" by George Saia (aka Jorge Zontal from the art collective General Idea) was produced, but buried away until 2007, when Robert Fones procured the remaining 120 copies and had the best 100 copies bound. It was sold through Art Metropole for $150. Ten years later, they still have some for sale: https://artmetropole.com/shop/4367

Issue # 6 was Gerry Gilbert's "Slug Book." This was followed by issue # 7, called "Coach House Nose Who's Who" by Jim Lang. An eighth issue, "Mr. Peanut" by Victor Trasov was printed but never released.

dannyboycheapyboy and I spent a few days discussing this back and fourth, and neither of us were able to find information about Snore Comix # 4. Has anyone ever seen a copy of # 4?

There were actually 8 issues of Snore Comix, but at least two were never properly released. Issue # 5, the "Shoe Journal" by George Saia (aka Jorge Zontal from the art collective General Idea) was produced, but buried away until 2007, when Robert Fones procured the remaining 120 copies and had the best 100 copies bound. It was sold through Art Metropole for $150. Ten years later, they still have some for sale: https://artmetropole.com/shop/4367

Issue # 6 was Gerry Gilbert's "Slug Book." This was followed by issue # 7, called "Coach House Nose Who's Who" by Jim Lang. An eighth issue, "Mr. Peanut" by Victor Trasov was printed but never released.

dannyboycheapyboy and I spent a few days discussing this back and fourth, and neither of us were able to find information about Snore Comix # 4. Has anyone ever seen a copy of # 4?

A long time ago, I came across this blurb, which I'm sure you've seen:

"Snore Comix was published by Coach House Press irregularly and in various formats. The first two issues were edited by Jerry Ofo and the third by AA Bronson of General Idea. The various contributors were all names who would surface in the future, including flip book by Vincent Trasov (Mr. Peanut), No. 5 was the Shoe Book by Jorge Zontal of General Idea (still waiting to be bound and distributed), No. 6 was Gerry Gilbert's Slug Book, and No. 7 was The Coach House Nose Who's Who by Jim Lang." --http://ccca.concordia.ca/resources/searches/event_detail.html?languagePref=en&vk=8249

Going by that alone, I would think that Mr. Peanut was the fourth Snore. It's been a long time since I've dug into my research, but I don't recall mention of an eighth issue, though I could be mistaken.

Just searched around a bit and found this:

http://www.gallerieswest.ca/blogs-and-buzz/artists-books-word-and-image-blend-in-this-irresistible-craf/

If you search the page for "Mr. Peanut," you'll find:

"In 1969, Toronto’s Coach House Books published the Mr. Peanut flip book by artist Vincent Trasov."

There's also a pic of the finished product on the page.

MrPeanut001_15c.jpg

Of course, Snore Comix (#1) was published in 1969, with #2 and #3 coming in the early '70s, so it confuses me to think of this, the flip book, published in 1969, as an issue of Snore Comix.

Edited by Reverend