• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Unofficial Underground Comix thread...
14 14

2,301 posts in this topic

On 2/13/2020 at 8:18 AM, comicwiz said:

This is a repost from January:

Yesterday I watched a Netflix produced television series on a subject that interests me - it mainly covers toys made for the North American consumer market. The series is called The Toys that Made Us. Episode one for season 3 covers Laird and Eastman's Ninja Turtles. I've never really had more than a tepid interest for this toy line, however in one of the early photos of Kevin Eastman, he is seen surrounded by UG comix and mags. I found that part of the segment a bit puzzling since they show this photo and then he talks about the influence comics had on him. I always welcome anyone mentioning Kirby as an influence, but to show that image and not even mention the apparent influence Corben, and even more so, the underground comix movement had on the alternative and independent publishing scene and the eventual formation of Mirage Studios was disappointing. I'm sure the folks who produced this will chalk it up to an editing decision that was absent of historical context, or that it was a choice to cater to a PG 13 audience - it is what it is, but just one of the modern day examples of how missed opportunities, giving the artists and scene the respect it deserves, still occurs to this day.  Figured I'd show some love anyway, and one of the comics on the back wall I outlined/highlighted is one of my favourite Corben covers - Up From The Deep #1

eastman-ug.png.cde01c8fa05e7276e21a69a3f9484da7.png

upfromdeep.jpg.1450393c813a0ea0965860435bb9ef08.jpg

Here is a photo I took at Christmas time of my daughter and her husband. She loved the turtles and I put away her toys for her. She had a lot of fun checking them out again.

9C2C6A53-16BC-4DB1-B33C-9012C95C1E0B.jpeg

5D9DC105-F11A-4435-BD97-16B402BC0A77.jpeg

ACE125CA-458E-465E-8ACB-4149A3CA5505.jpeg

432AB0F1-062E-4A9B-ACF8-6EB93F372D33.jpeg

2BF6FF04-A30B-4F5D-8826-03FF18C9B024.jpeg

On 7/6/2019 at 10:25 PM, ug18 said:

Hi All

I just discovered something I was not aware of

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw="DIGGING+THE+UNDERGROUND+COMIX"&_sacat=0

That copy on ebay looks pretty dirty, I am not going to bid on it.

If you have another one, I may be interested to a fair deal.

Thanks

Cheers

m.

I got a copy, thanks to https://www.poopsheetfoundation.com/ 

It is a  somehow interesting piece, a short report on what was going on at that time.

45 minutes ago, oldmilwaukee6er said:

Interesting timing.  I think I've tracked down almost all of the various Trashman comic appearances at this point, other than the couple of one pagers for High Times.  And I certainly don't have any of the EVO's, I think there were about 10 pages that didn't make it into the Collected Trashman.

Good evening, (No, I am not impersonating Alfred Hitchcock).  Seriously, I have never had any interest in comic books other than when I was a kid.  However, after doing some cleaning; I discovered tucked away between my albums; several copies of Somewhere in Plasticville, and one copy of Artchie Strips.  I do not know much about them other than another person on this site had posted that one of the top ten rarest underground comics is Somewhere in Plasticville.  The Artchie Strips has Andy Warhol, Jane Fonda, and the Rolling Stones on the cover.  There is a website:   onhttps://www.oocities.org/sunsetstrip/palladium/4634/factory.html   that gives a description; stating that she thinks she has one of the very few copies on the planet; as the creator of the comic died in a scuba diving accident several days after publishing.  Any info on value of either comic would be greatly appreciated.  Just realized that in the magnifying glass of the Somewhere in Plasticville; is the Artchie Strips caption for the other comic book.....?

IMG_0766.jpg

IMG_0767.jpg

Edited by Eric B1
Attach pictures and add info

55 minutes ago, Eric B1 said:

I clicked on each of the above and did not see any info related to my search.  Did you mean that I should contact both of the above regarding my search?  Thank you for responding!

By tagging the two of them like that, they'll be notified they were mentioned in the thread, and should see your post.

I saw it when posted. Interesting stuff, to be sure. Thanks for reaching out.

Not really books that interest me, but Fogel lists Plasticville as a $200 book in mint condition, and doesn't mention Artchie at all. Kennedy guide lists both for around $50 at the time it was produced, so I guess one could work from those points of reference were they attempting to sell. Good luck!

Guess I am curious if contributor Don Calfa is the same guy that was a mainstay character actor in films and TV.

Don Calfa (1939-2016) - Find A Grave Memorial

Edited by wpbooks01

On 5/4/2020 at 2:11 PM, wpbooks01 said:

I saw it when posted. Interesting stuff, to be sure. Thanks for reaching out.

Not really books that interest me, but Fogel lists Plasticville as a $200 book in mint condition, and doesn't mention Artchie at all. Kennedy guide lists both for around $50 at the time it was produced, so I guess one could work from those points of reference were they attempting to sell. Good luck!

Guess I am curious if contributor Don Calfa is the same guy that was a mainstay character actor in films and TV.

Don Calfa (1939-2016) - Find A Grave Memorial

Thank you so much for the info, it is greatly appreciated.  None of my copies are in mint condition.  Is this a picture of Eddie Money?