• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1970 Comic Convention (New York) Poster

18 posts in this topic

How about that poster....don't we ALL wish we would have been there ?

Would love to hear if ANYBODY went to that convention.

I know this is not an original art piece....but close enough. I picked this poster up a couple of months ago. It's just a great piece and every time I look at it I have to smile and repeat myself...."I wish I would have been at that convention". Think of it, the original comic art and comic market was not established yet....sort of. And NYC is the HEADQUARTER of all the art...I am sure it was a great convention.

Let me know what you think....

Comic_Convention_Poster_1970.jpg

Ironically, that is the same hotel that the Big Apple Cons are now held in several times a year. I'm not sure how awesome that con would have been for silver age art. I'm sure that there was some there that would make many of us cry, but a lot of the "good art" was not "liberated" until many years later. There was one historic con in the late seventies or so where a lot of it quietly showed up. Then there were SDCCs in the 90s where tons of great stuff showed up for prices that would astound us now. I don't know which con would have been "the" con to go to if you could only go back to one. Anyone have any suggestions??

How about that poster....don't we ALL wish we would have been there ?

Would love to hear if ANYBODY went to that convention.

1970 was a big year for comic art on both coasts. It was also the first year of the San Diego con or "San Diego's Golden State Comic-Con". I haven't updated my site yet but I got this piece, supposedly done for the con program or advertising.

romita-ffheads.jpg

If anyone knows any more about this, please let me know! I'd love to see how it was used.

Ruben

http://www.collectingfool.com

I was at all of the early NYC cons from 1968 on.

They were the best of the best of the best

You could find any collectyible you can imagine from comics to art to newspapers, blbs, pulps, movie posters & more

Buster Crabbe was at the 68 or 69 or 70 con and was signing autographs

Hal Foster was there in 1969 and was a wonderful guy

Artists would do sketches for FREE exc ept Neal Adams who was either $5 or $10 or $15 depending on how old you were or how much you could afford!!!

I set up in teh "huckster's room" next to the full dealers room. hucksters were only $5 or $10 a table and you placed it yourself in any open area

movies ran all night, I was 13 in 1970 when they showed an X-rated Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers short film

in 1972 my buddy & I hung out with the firsdt guy I ever saw with "4 color hair". It was blue, yellow, red and green!!

at the time, there were no comic boxes, so everything was stacked on the tables or in tomato boxes or whatever kind of box you had.

You could hang out at the hotel 24 hours, sleep in the m ovie room & have fun from start to finish.

THOSE WERE THE DAYS

You could hang out at the hotel 24 hours, sleep in the m ovie room & have fun from start to finish.

THOSE WERE THE DAYS

Sounds terrific. Funny, I can imagine the number of complaints, crimes and lawsuits that would come out of an event like that held today.

Ruben

THOSE WERE THE DAYS

Sounds terrific. Funny, I can imagine the number of complaints, crimes and lawsuits that would come out of an event like that held today.

Ruben

Events like this DO still happen today just not for something so established as comic book collecting. You have to look to the newer "up and coming" collectables.

I attended that con. First con I ever went too. Can't remember much. Koch and Dolgoff, still remember how young they looked. I think Conan #1 was selling for about $3-$5.

No mylar, very frew if any backing boards, real primitive displays by todays standards. Lots and lot of geeks, that smelled and were overweight...very few female's.

No mylar, very frew if any backing boards, real primitive displays by todays standards. Lots and lot of geeks, that smelled and were overweight...very few female's.

Well these days they have mylars and backing boards which is about all the progress one can expect. :grin:

It may have even been one of Phil Seuling's shows as he held many shows at that location (on an upper floor ballroom of the hotel and later on a small meeting room on the mezzanine).

This space was different than the big crapple space which used to be a Sports Authority (which would explain the crappy layout and poor lighting).

I was too young for this particular show but on a different thread, I noted how I attended one of Phil's shows as a kid. I can confirm seeing some naked women at the show. I'm still looking for anyone with photos .... lol ..... of me dressed as a Skrull along with Wendy Pini dressed as Red Sonja. Yes, that Wendy Pini. :o

There are pics of Wendy online in costume but no Skrulls to be found. Holy Secret Invasion ..... Rich, if you have any photos let me know.

The good old days indeed.

Cheers!

N

btw - I wasn't focused on art at that time.

Sorry but here is a scan of the poster again. The original got somehow deleted.

Enjoy !

Also....this show must have focused on Original Art. It was not a regular Comic Convention ! See the description on the poster...

Comic_Convention_Poster_1970.jpg

Wurstis, this was totally a comic book convention. At that time in teh market, Art only made up a tiny sliver - similar to today

The tables were piled hi with comics, pulps, pinups, blb's and whatever else connected to comics. There may have been 3 or 4 guys selling art.

see my posts above.. I was there and it was a real jazz.

I believe you...and sort of / kind of :-) I am jealous that I was not there.

Reason for me saying it must have been a Comic Art Convention is the fact that this is what it reads on the poster.....but it sounds right that they had everything there.