• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

noobie OA question

22 posts in this topic

I'm pretty new to OA (just have a couple of pages, and just scored my first cover)...where else can one find OA besides albertmoy, splashpage, caf and feebay?

i know clink has some decent OA up from time to time...but is there anywhere else i should scrounge for my OA?

thanks in advance :)

the artist or inker themselves

Very True. If you know exactly what you want than an internet search for the artist(s) in question is your best bet. You can't get a better deal than going directly to the source. (thumbs u

Careful! This is not true if you're an Alex Ross fan!! :sorry:

since most dealers and collectors are linked thru the CAF, it's really all you need. The Artists Choice is one exception, but it's has so few scans, updates, and is a pretty dated and poorly coded website. There's also the comicart-l yahoo group, which was the center of the comic art collecting universe 5-10 years ago, but has since lost a lot of relevance ( I say this based on the 2/3 drop in posts from a few years ago- probably a function of the rather dated email group forum on yahoo, they need to switch to a message board like this or one hosted by Yuku, for god's sake it's art collecting, art collecting without image posting ability!?!?! WTF)

since most dealers and collectors are linked thru the CAF, it's really all you need. The Artists Choice is one exception, but it's has so few scans, updates, and is a pretty dated and poorly coded website.

hm I have to disagree on this point.

I know they weren't updating in Feb because Spencer coordinates the talent for NYCC and takes a couple weeks off afterwards from updating, but I just checked the website and there were over 10 artist updates for January alone.

For March there have already been 12 artist updates already and from the update notice on the site there are updates coming before the end of the month for at least another 8 artists.

Also Spencer is a rep and not a dealer. He lists pages as he gets them back from the artists and the publishers. He represents several artists I collect so I keep and eye out for their artwork. Sometimes he will get no artwork back in a given month and some months he will get 2 months worth. I don't really fault him for that.

And "has so few scans" ? (shrug) I don't think we are looking at the same site. Perez, Romita Jr, Mark Morales, McNiven, Reis and a ton more have pretty much every one of their pieces scanned. There have to be thousand and thousands of scans on that site. I know that some of the artists hold onto their art and don't have them stored with Spencer, those might not be scanned, but I could look at that site for a very long time and not run out of scans to look at.

Best,

Chris

Chris,

you have to admit, Spencer's site hasn't been upgraded in 10 years. If it were integrated into the same format that's compatible with CAF, the artists he reps would benefit considerably, especially since Spencer doesn't do a lot of conventions compared to other dealers. And while there are lots of scans on the site, there's a lot that has never been scanned.

since most dealers and collectors are linked thru the CAF , it's really all you need.

I have to disagree with this statement(and I'm sure Chris' statement will be much more articulate, but here goes anyway.)

It really depends on what you collect. My personal philosophy is 'leave no stone unturned.'

Last year I contacted an artist through his blog. This artist is repped by a well known dealer that advertises on CAF. I asked the artist if he had any pages left from a book I wanted art from. The book was 10 years old, so I hoped he may have a page or two since I hadn't seen any around. He wrote back and said he had 40+ of the 56 pages left from the issue in question. Cha-ching! :headbang:

In January I saw a cover previewed in DC's website that just blew me away. New artist, no rep. So, again I found him on the web and contacted him. He was a little slow in getting back to me, but he still had the cover. I should have it this week(before the issue is even released). Bling-Bla :cloud9:

If you want to "buy what they're selling", go right ahead. I prefer to take a different path.

And about Alex Ross; If the person that bought the FLINCH cover he did is on the boards would like to sell it for a 50% loss, please PM me :wishluck:

oh I don't disagree with you there, going straight to the artist trumps all, but isn't always an option for older, more established artists, or their estates. I"m just saying of all the major players, most can be found thru the CAF versus having to visit (and re-visit) their individual sites. Most of the major auctions are listed their as well, so it's just a really good dashboard to search from efficiently. Then you have more free time to hunt down the artist's themselves and cut out the middlemen!

Chris,

you have to admit, Spencer's site hasn't been upgraded in 10 years. If it were integrated into the same format that's compatible with CAF, the artists he reps would benefit considerably, especially since Spencer doesn't do a lot of conventions compared to other dealers. And while there are lots of scans on the site, there's a lot that has never been scanned.

He's not a dealer. The only reps I regularly see at shows are the ones that are art dealers first and reps as a sideline, or that represent a small handful of artists. (thumbs u

And I was responding to your comment about "so few scans" and "so few updates". It's just not an accurate statement from my experience. That was why I felt the need to give a different perspective. I personally know the guy that does Spencer's updates and scanning and he is pretty much working at it 7 days a week.

Sure, I would love to see the site in a snazzy new format, that would be great. Would I like it when the recoupment cost of doing so built into the artwork? Not so much.

There is still more art, more scans and more artists in one place, on one person's site, at one time than any other rep. I am not going to complain when my favorite movie theater has everything I need to enjoy a film but they won't give me a foot massage too. lol

Best,

Chris

Chris,

He's not a dealer. The only reps I regularly see at shows are the ones that are art dealers first and reps as a sideline, or that represent a small handful of artists. (thumbs u

I had a discussion with someone not long ago about the difference between dealers and reps. In the end, we came to the conclusion, that you can be a "dealer" without being a "rep." But you can't be a "rep" without being a "dealer." The thought being that, as a rep, you are pushing/selling the same product as a dealer. The only real difference is a personal and/or professional relationship with the artist of the art you sell. So, delaers are always just delaers. Reps are delaers AND more. And as a rep myself, I know I consider myself an original art "dealer." :)

I'm pretty new to OA (just have a couple of pages, and just scored my first cover)...where else can one find OA besides albertmoy, splashpage, caf and feebay?

i know clink has some decent OA up from time to time...but is there anywhere else i should scrounge for my OA?

thanks in advance :)

I have to agree with what most of the others have said here, as far as sites to go to.

The only other suggestion I had is that you try to form connections with as many people as you can. Even though most collectors aren't delaers or reps, they still have access to some art that might be of interest to you. If they decide to sell, you have a slightly better chance of getting that piece over someone else. Amd, of course, some collectors are dealers and reps, which gives you even more reason to foster a realtionship with them. CAF is probably one of the best places for that, seeing as it has the highest concentration of collectors, dealers/reps and artists themselves, anywhere on the web. (thumbs u

And as a rep for artist Richard Moore, I invite you to check out my CAF gallery (linked below) to check out his wares. If you see something that interestes you, let me know. Everyone I've done business with has had nothing but a positive experience. :) Good luck with your collecting goals.

Well I agree with Meeley about the blurred distinction between rep and dealer, but regardless, if Spencer has put forth that much effort to price and scan art on behalf of his clients, then it's silly not to take advantage of that work and put it all into a CAF gallery where it's going to enjoy a much wider audience. That would benefit him and his clients, otherwise, he's doing them a disservice relying on a 1990's style website that isn't database driven. It's analogous to selling art out of the trunk of your car in the parking lot of the con hotel as opposed to having a booth in the convention hall alongside all the other booths.

I had a discussion with someone not long ago about the difference between dealers and reps. In the end, we came to the conclusion, that you can be a "dealer" without being a "rep." But you can't be a "rep" without being a "dealer." The thought being that, as a rep, you are pushing/selling the same product as a dealer. The only real difference is a personal and/or professional relationship with the artist of the art you sell. So, delaers are always just delaers. Reps are delaers AND more. And as a rep myself, I know I consider myself an original art "dealer." :)

There is probably no set rule, but here are my definition of dealers and reps (for OA)

1. Dealers - sells art he owns

2. Rep - sells art on behalf of artists

You can be one, or the other, or both. Spencer does not sell any of his own art, he is a rep. Tom Flemming has his own art and art from artists, he is both. Mike Burkey doesn't really rep anyone (I don't think) so he is a dealer.

Malvin